“A decent diner in the area, nothing to write home about”

The Old Post Office Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Recommended by everyone in the North Lake Tahoe area. Seemed popular with the locals. Nothing special, decent food and decent service. We went away happy travelers.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Can't beat the food and the portion size is huge! Come early because the line is out the door during the Summer Season and the Ski Season.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The restaurant serves a mix of locals and tourists but it never disappoints. The servers work hard, the food is not from a can or box and I'm an oatmeal connoisseur so I can tell the difference! Seriously, I can't stand instant oatmeal, instant pancakes, instant anything if I'm at a restaurant. I expect freshly made dishes and the Old Post Office meets my needs. This is a great start to a day of skiing, hiking, or hanging out.

Don't stop here if you're looking for organic but if you want a hearty breakfast this is it. No frills, not gimmicks, just good food, freshly made and served quickly.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were heading back down the hill from the lake and my husband called in a to go order for an omelette. Whoever took the order might have suggested an existing price for a bacon & cheese omelette or while on the phone made mention of what the price was going to be for additional items like mushrooms and onions. Everything he asked for was done at an additional price. What a shock to pick it up and the bill was $16.89 (inc. tax).
He expressed his shock and the attitude was one of "get over it". We used to live in Carnelian Bay and go there plenty. I guess over the years they have just gotten a bit too big for their britches with all the tourists. Good thing I wasn't hungry that day.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The breakfasts here were a great start to our day of skiing. Amongst my group we tried the pancakes, omelettes and the oatmeal. All were very good, and the service was good.