“Vegetarian options too!”

Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Gar Woods Grill & Pier Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front and Center
Transit: All local bus lines drop off and pick up in front of Gar Woods Grill & Pier
Description: Since 1988 Gar Woods Grill & Pier has been the premier North Lake Tahoe waterfront dining destination. Located in Carnelian Bay, our floor to ceiling windows, large deck and balconies provide breath-taking views of Lake Tahoe and the Sierras. Gar Woods Grill & Pier is an upscale casual restaurant that accommodates groups of 160 just as easily as groups of 2. Our Chef has created a menu highlighting California cuisine, hand cut steaks and fresh Pacific seafood, served in our fun in the sun atmosphere. The wine list is a collection of California's best-known vintners featuring more than a dozen wines by the glass. Enjoy Tahoe's warm summer days sitting on our waterfront deck while sipping on a world famous Wet Woody. With nearly two million sold you'll be in good company but come early to get a seat. When visiting during the ski season thaw out in front of our three story tall river rock fireplace with a Warm Woody or a Heavenly bottom. Lake Tahoe sunsets are our specialty.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had some vegetarian friends in town - checked the menu online and didn't see too many options, so I called the restaurant to inquire further. They in fact have a few nice options which are not on their menu, plus will happily substitute tofu for any meat in their standard dishes. Both the hostess on the phone and the waiter in the restaurant were very accommodating in explaining the options and accepting substitutions.

Of course, the location is great, and we had great service as well. I ordered steamed clams (excellent) and ahi poke (very good).

I would definitely return to Gar Woods!

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

My family visits Tahoe once every year and we normally prepare meals each of the nights we are there, with the exception of the "Gar Woods" night. It has become a staple of our trips out west and we love it a little more each time we visit.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Visited Gar Woods on a midweek jaunt up to Lake Tahoe. We have been to their sister restaurant, Riva Grill in South Shore, before and loved it so we had high expectations. We enjoyed a couple of their famous "Wet Woody's" which are always a treat to start of our night. For a starter, we shared a bowl of their lobster bisque with rock shrimp. This was by far one of the best soups I have ever head. The soup was rich and creamy yet felt light and velvety. The flavor was incredible and the texture was amazing. Add a salad and it would work as a complete meal. I am a huge risotto fan and also a huge crab fan. The menu has diver scallops over Dungeness crab risotto Two of my favorites on one dish...I am all over that. . All I can say is OMG!! The large scallops were cooked perfectly and did not have an ounce of grit that sometimes lingers in scallops. The risotto was rich and creamy and had a ton of crab flavor. The flavors of the crab and the scallops blended so well together that I was in heaven. My better half had the filet with shrimp which was good but paled in comparison to the risotto. The service was the only issue we had with Gar Woods. Our server seemed extremely rushed and very distracted while waiting on us. It was mid-week and the restaurant wasn't that busy to reflect that kind of distraction. Not the kind of service I would expect from a place of this stature.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Expensive but fun, and the view from the porch was wonderful. We brought in the fish we caught in the morning and made a reservation for that evening. When we came in our fish was prepared for us. Delicious!

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has a beautiful view of Lake Tahoe from the 2nd floor.

The food was pretty good, and service was also good. The signature drink however was not that good, at least to my tastes. Try it once, and enjoy the 151 floater on top.

It's really an unpretentious solid restaurant I'd likely frequent regularly if I lived nearby.