“authentic food and great vegetarian menu”
Review of El Papagayo

El Papagayo
Ranked #4 of 100 Restaurants in Carmichael
Cuisines: Mexican
Sacramento, California
“authentic food and great vegetarian menu”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went on a Thursday night with my wife and mother in law. I had TACOS DE COCHINITA....and they were delicious. They have a great salsa bar with lots of choices. Mother in law had veggie chimichanga, stuffed with different kinds of squash, I had a taste and it was really good. Their beans are truly vegetarian. I talked to chef, he confirmed that he makes his beans with no animal stock/flavoring or lard. Overall, great mexican food. Plan on coming back.

• Visited October 2012

Sacramento
“Terrible!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Three of us went on a Sunday night. There were two tables full of people. It was very noisy even though the restaurant wasn’t full. The service was ridiculously slow. A lady who may have been the owner talked and talked to one table full of people. She never looked up at us standing there. Finally we sat ourselves down with menus. We still weren’t even acknowledged until I finally went up to a waiter and asked if he could take get our order. He huffily came over told us he was very busy but didn’t apologize. I wanted a vegan dish but with no real or no fake cheese. He told me that it wouldn’t work; the dish couldn’t be made like that. I asked him to ask the cook. He took our orders. About ten minutes later we got water and greasy cold chips. I went to the cook area to ask for a small bowl for salsa. They gave me a cup. I went to the salsa bar. Nothing was labeled. Everything looked like it had sat out all day. One spoon for salsa sat along the counter, exposed to the fly crawling on the wall. The food finally came and we all agreed that none of us thought the dishes were good. The men had meat dishes that they thought were not fresh, not flavorful, and not tasty. My vegan dish was a massive amount of onions and squash with a smidgen of mushroom in a huge tortilla. It was oily in addition to being tasteless. We left without finishing our food, fairly shocked that even though it was obvious we weren’t happy, we still were not acknowledged by the wait staff. We will not return nor recommend this place.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank KOSacramento
Sacramento, California
“Authentic Mexican Food”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

A small restaurant tucked behind a gas station will give your taste buds a delightful surprise. The owner, from Gudalajara, is on site daily and not only waits on customers but oversees the kitchen and the service too. Try the shrimp quesadilla grande--stuffed with succulent and large whole shrimp, exquisite cheese and a flawless torillila grilled to perfection. Servied with sour cream and guacamole (a bit skimpy on those protions) and your choice of whole or refried beans (get the whole beans), Decor is lovely, with hand painted (and comfy) chairs, tile floors and some interesting art work. It is noisy and the tv blaring does not add to the ambience. Their idea of air conditioning is not up to US standards and Sacramento gets hot in the summer. All in all, a 4 star (out of 5)food experience.

• Visited May 2012
Carmichael, California
“Great Food - and a Wonderful Vegetarian Menu”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The first thing I noticed upon walking into El Papagayo was its spaciousness. Second, its noisy. The lack of decor and the bare tile floor amplify the conversations and kitchen sounds to an uncomfortable level. A waterfall in the middle of the space simply adds to the din. There is no foyer. The long counter and open kitchen imply that there is no table service. But a gracious woman quickly greeted us and told us to sit anywhere. There were lots of choices. It was Saturday at 1pm and though there were several full tables, there were more that were empty. We sat in a sunny place and were soon given plastic covered menus. Tacky.

Then I see the FULL PAGE of vegetarian dishes and I no longer notice the surroundings. Cactus fajitas?! Tofu tacos?! Mushroom poblano burritos?! Wow! Choosing something simple, I order the vegetarian burrito - hold the sour cream and cheese - and am offered vegan cheese by the thoughtful waiter. My carnivorous S.O. orders the chili verde.

I decided to try a wine margarita while we waited for our food. It was horribly sweet - I couldn't drink it.

Our food arrived and dispite the reasonable prices, the portions were large. My burrito was delicious and the understated S.O. reported that the chili verde was "fine."

As I ate, I couldn't help but mentally decorate the place. The excellent food deserves to be enjoyed in comfort.

We waited a long time for our check but the total of $25 +tip was worth a little time.

The next day, I returned for a take-out order of mushroom enchiladas for my daughter. The order was out quickly. They were delicious!

Go for the food! Order take-out unless you don't mind the noise of a mess hall.

• Visited March 2012
Fair Oaks, California
“Great food, sloooooooooooooooooow service”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

The veggie menu is huge, the chicken mole is lovely, there's a salsa bar with yummy green salsa (not tomatillo but also perhaps cucumber?) but the food took forever to get to the table and then it took another 5 minutes to get the tortillas we were supposed to have with the meals.

• Visited December 2011