“Great little inn at a great price”
Review of Hidden Valley Inn

Hidden Valley Inn
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed here in June and had a lovely time. Walking distance to local restaurants and wine tasting. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice breakfast in the morning. It was even warm enough to swim for a bit, which was nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Before I review the actual facility, I wanna just say something about the website. Though I was able to discern that there are two sites (inns), it was hard to determine what kind of room was at which site. We were on a staycation, and the hubby wanted to go swimming or in a jacuzzi. The pool was open (at the Hidden Valley Inn), but not heated. Apparently it is heated during the high season only. We hoped to be able to just walk over to the other site to dip in the jacuzzi...it's a drive up the road a ways. This didn't affect how we enjoyed our stay. But these are things that would factor in if we came in the summer.
Anyway, I made the reservations online last minute and mentioned that it was our anniversary and that I was pregnant, due the following month. The hubby wanted me to get a massage, so I inquired online if a prenatal massage was available in their in-room spa packages. The following morning I received a phone call from Karen informing me that a masseuse on the team was certified to do prenatal massages and the hours she was available that wkend.
When we arrived We were greeted and checked in right away without any difficulty. As requested, our room was not too far of a walk from the parking lot. The room was exceptionally clean. (My test is if I feel comfortable walking on the carpet and in the bathroom barefoot.) It was a king bed/deck room right next to the pool, with a very quaint little patio entrance with table. The view of the Santa Lucia mountains was beautiful despite the clouds and rain. The room is partitioned by a lattice, with the bed on one side and the twin bed pull outs on the opposite side. A little card welcoming us to the inn (and mentioning a nice surprise for our anniversary waited for us in the refrigerator) was propped up next to the tube television. The surprise was 3 chocolate dipped strawberries--that were very succulent and juicy. Though the tv was a small cubed one, it sufficed for our do-absolutely-nothing-wkend-staycation. It had traditional cable channels (no premier ones) allowing us to re-watch movies and tv shows (like Die Hard, RockStar and the Walking Dead). The bed was firm yet comfortable. The bed sheets weren't dusty or musty. The bathroom was mildew-free. But there were a 1-2 black ants, which would've been squished if it weren't for my 8-month prego belly preventing me from wiping them up.
We tried the continental breakfast. It offered 3 different kinds of cereals, hard-boiled eggs and waffles plus OJ, milk, tea and coffee. The waffles were made by staff whom were also quick to tend to us. One tip: the Carmel Valley Village is pretty close. But I don't know whether walking there for dinner would be a good idea. The roadway is pretty dark and windy. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking it.
A quick blurb on my massage: Clare Twohig was the masseuse and she was awesome. Ask for her if you're planning an in-room massage. She knew a of a lot of pressure points and concentrated on those.
Everything about this room was great...with the exception of the walls. They are so thin, my husband and I were involuntarily eavesdropping on the couple next to us, hearing some lively conversations and one of them snoring away at bedtime. There was a second couple in the next room, but we didn't hear much of them.
Overall, there is a high likelihood that we will be back in the future for another simple stay-cation.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Country Garden Inn mid-week in late January. Because the place was fairly slow (winter) they gave us the honeymoon suite. The room was very nicely decorated with king bed and fireplace, refrigerator and small kitchen with microwave and coffee pot. The breakfast room was delightfully decorated and the food more than adequate.

This place IS about 30 minutes from Carmel, but Carmel is certainly doable, if that is your agenda. If you like to be more rural and like a less touristy environment this might be for you.

The little town of Carmel Valley boasts some excellent restaurants. Our hosts recommended Café Rustica, and I would have to say it was one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten in. The atmosphere was as romantic as one could imagine and the presentation of the food was 10+!

We went for a 45 minute hike at the nearby Garland Ranch Regional Park and were treated to a very nice Indian Grinding Rock with several pestles and some very nice views of the valley from the "cliff trail".

very romantic)

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeymoon suite, but the south facing patio rooms facing the pool would have been o...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family attended a funeral in Carmel. We needed lots of rooms and wanted them close to one another so we could socialize and morn our lost cousin. This Inn worked out perfectly. The breakfast was wonderful. The staff attentive and helpful. I will stay here next time I visit Carmel.

Room Tip: Room #4 was extra roomy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank J D
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our family really enjoyed our stay at Hidden Valley. Our room was very clean and comfortable. We had a nice room with a view of the pool with a nice outside deck area. The sitting area in our room was very cozy. We had four people in our room with our teenagers sleeping in twin beds which were in the sitting area. The breakfast was fantastic. The people who served breakfast were really invested in making sure our needs were met. One day our teenage children slept in and when I told the server that we would be bringing food back to the room, he put together a lovely basket for them. We will definitely return to Hidden Valley. Thank you for adding to our special vacation in lovely California.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen S
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed in the Hidden Valley again this last December for two nights.
In fact, the mid-December dates were the exact-same two nights as on our previous stay two years prior.
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful;the room was very nicely turned-out having recently been re-decorated; and the quality of the morning breakfast was superb in all respects (including the beautifully presented dining room).
The only very small adverse comment (which we are very reluctant to make really) is that the "real-fire-effect" gas fire in the sitting room - whilst being an impressive focal point - does not put out much heat. But that came as no surprise to us, because we have one at home here in England; and it too fails to efficiently warm the room on it's own. But hey,that won't make a difference at any other time of year when the weather is warmer, will it?
In summing up, don't give it a moment's hesitation when considering a stay at Country Garden Inns - go for it and you can then enjoy Dirk's wonderful waffles at breakfast!
:-)

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had a very enjoyable (but short) stay. Unfortunately we arrived late due to a variety of unforeseen circumstances, so we had to miss the social hour (5-6 pm, with complimentary wine). But the room was comfortable and very cosy. The breakfast was delicious, and we were particularly impressed with the hosts' relaxed and attentive manner of serving their guests, even when it got a little crowded. Little details like bringing the waffles to our table were much appreciated!

The only critical comment concerns the bathroom. The shower was too old and too low on the wall, and since I am 6'6'', I had some difficulty to use it.I was told that upgrades of the rooms were in the planning.

This was our second time to stay at Country Garden Inns, and we will certainly stay there again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Carmel Valley
Contenta Inn
Contenta Inn
#1 of 5 in Carmel Valley

Been to Hidden Valley Inn? Share your experiences!