“The best restaurant in the area!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Rustica

Cafe Rustica
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
monterey, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best restaurant in the area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

By far if not the best, one of the best restaurants in the area -- very casual atmosphere, amazing and very consistently excellent quality food, attentive and experienced staff. We've had pretty much everything on the menu, and have never been disappointed. Last time I had a special - snapper with butter lettuce, mango salsa, and red potatoes --- GREAT dish!
The restaurant also offers a very nice selection of both local and foreign wines. Would give an overall rating of Excellent/ consistent, and always the highest quality.

1 Thank ashatan1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
“A definite must eat there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

I used to live in the area but sadly do not any longer. However, the first place I make reservations at when visiting is Cafe Rustica. The food is simply delicious! Every time! The staff are very friendly and Sylvia with her wonderfully coloured socks is a gem! The cooks work hard and always have done. I am not in a rush when I go to this restaurant so if the service is slow, that's just fine by me. Good food takes time to prepare. I frequented this cafe both before it changed owners and since. I keep returning. There is no difference that I can see. Can't live without it!

2 Thank archrival
Monterey, California
“My favorite for the last seven years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

I've been going to Rustica for over seven years... my kids have grown up eating here and we look forward to it every time we're on the Monterey Peninsula.

The menu is eclectic... pastas, chicken, gourmet pizza, great salads and wonderful local seafood specials... the wood fired oven turns out great chicken (and I usually don't get excited about chicken), and a variety of other dishes...

Service is always good... but can be a little rushed on crowded weekends and summer nights.... the wine list and menu pricing are moderate and well balanced... I'm on my way back down this weekend... looking forward to a great meal on the patio...

3 Thank markmDanville_Ca_
Ontario, Canada
“Not the same :-(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

Cafe Rustica used to be our favorite restaurant; we went there for graduations, anniversaries, with visitors, recommended it to tourists..... We loved the food, the ambiance, the owners, the prices: everything.

It recently changed ownership and we decided to try and see how it is. The menu is more or less the same. The prices have gone up, as they do almost everywhere.

It was not a busy day, but the service was slow. The Calamari we had as a starter were very greasy. My salad was good; my husband's steak was red despite his request for medium well and was full of gristle, fat and inedible; he sent it back. It was taken off our bill. But, if you look forward to a meal for a week :-) having it taken off the bill is nice, but somehow still very disappointing.

Then there was a challenge with a credit card charge (I was charged more than I had signed for at the restaurant and saw it on our bank statement later) which I called the owner about and which was resolved but left a bad taste.

Our favorite restaurant sure has changed; we will not be back.

3 Thank PVfirst
Boston
“a lovely spot, wonderful food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2005

We had dinner at Cafe Rustica in August. We happened upon it quite by accident while escaping the traffic nightmare of Carmel. We sat outside, the view was incredibly lovely, the food was delicious, the wine was terrific, the service was good--unobtrusive and we had everything we wanted when we wanted it. Probably the best meal/restaurant experience of our trip.

4 Thank Ilya