“The Very Best of Carmel Valley Dining!”
Review of Cafe Rustica

Cafe Rustica
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We ate here last year (also in January) and have been looking forward to going back every since. The 2nd time was even more delicious and memorable!

This time, I think we actually met the owner, Julien, who is a quiet and solicitious presence in the cozy, stone-walled restaurant. He greeted us and brought us to our table, and later when we were leaving, helped me on with my coat. He's fFench and I couldn't resist speaking French with him for a few minutes before we left. He is refreshingly approachable and I was surprised to learn later that this was, indeed, the owner. C'etait un vrai plaisirde faire votre connaissance, Julien! Merci pour un fete d'anniversaire fantastique.

The thin crust pizzas are incredible and did not disappoint at our table. We also ordered the shrimp /pasta dish (forgot the name of those thin noodles), and the Butternut Squash Ravioli which was heaven. We saw someone order the Goulash and made a note to order that the next time we are here. Soo many delicious choices to choose from.

The wine list is a refreshing change from another restaurant in town that serves mostly their own vintage. We had a 2009 Cahors and it was perfect.

The stone walls in the main room are beautiful in the soft light and I like the old plates that decorate the walls. Overall, it has a very warm, inviting feel and the service is excellent. We couldn't have asked for a more attentive, genuinely nice server. She even surprised me with a bread pudding dessert topped with a candle (she overheard that it was my birthday when we were talking about whether to have dessert).

I cannot say enough about how much we love Cafe Rustica. From our chats with those lucky enough to live in Carmel Valley, it seems they agree. Make a reservation several days ahead as it is a favorite with visitors and locals alike.,

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Food:The food was high quality and delicious. My son usually discards the pizza crusts but these crusts were so good,thin, and crispy that he ate them with relish. Definitely save room from dessert!-The desserts were large and tasty.

Service: The service was excellent. Our server was efficient and attentive without being obsequious. The pizza took less than 5 minutes to arrive.

Atmosphere: The atmosphere was country French and was bustling but pleasant. It was easy to have a conversation without shouting.

The experience was worth the drive from Monterrey or Carmel because all in all, it was a great restaurant and a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Holly C
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been to this place many times and always have a wonderful experience. The food is always good and the desserts are amazing. The staff are friendly and accommodating. The goulash is a must try as we'll as the pizza. YUM! They make their own Carmel sauce and WOW it is so good. This is a must place to visit and indulge.

1  Thank Nikki S
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our favorite lunch place in Carmel Valley. We ate outside even though it was a cool day. We always get the pizzas and this time was no different. While my wife had the chicken apple sausage salad while my daughters and I had pizzas that were outstanding (BBQ chicken, Lorraine and flammekuche). Great service. great desserts.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Very nice lunch with my husband and son. Pizza verde was very tasty. I had the beef goulash - comfort food on a cold day. Our son had the chicken sausage salad - very good sausage. The glass of malbec i had was disappointing, nice nose but low on taste. We split the bread pudding which was a great way to end the meal.