“Mmm STEAK!”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Village Drive
Description: The storied origins of the Holman Ranch Tavern stretch back to 1928 when a quaint brick watering spot was built in the center of Carmel Valley Village to serve weary travelers on their way to and from the therapeutic Tassajara Hot Springs. From the day it was constructed through today, this roadhouse has gone by many names: The Carousel and Will’s Fargo Dining House & Saloon to name a few. From a teahouse to a steakhouse complete with its own butcher shop, this historic building has been home to locals and visitors alike and housed many a celebration. In November 2014, The Lowder family from Alabama purchased this iconic building with the intent of restoring it and bringing it into the fold of their thriving wine and events business established at the 400 acre Holman Ranch, also built in 1928. In Spring 2016, Holman Ranch Tavern completed its transformation into an establishment known for serving delicious concoctions alongside a menu that pairs these libations with food to share. Under every owner since it was built, the Tavern has been the site of California friendliness, now with a touch of Southern hospitality sprinkled in. Whatever the name, it has always provided Visitors and Locals alike with a soft seat to rest, a hearty drink and comforting food. Welcome to the Holman Ranch Tavern.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Wills Fargo has been here for years. My grandfather used to come here and picked out his own steak from the butcher up front. Sadly, there is no more butcher up front.

The place is dark...romantic, in ways. Old Carmel charm.

My husband celebrated Valentine's Day here. We ordered the calamari appetizer. It literally comes in a giant salad bowl! So much squid! Our meal came with a soup or salad. We both chose the lobster bisque and liked it. I had the ribeye and a baked potato as my entree and I fell in love! It was so good! Flavorful, moist, and perfect. My husband ordered something similar and liked it as well.

Pricey, but great for a special occasion.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a classic style restaurant with a cowboy flavor. The rack of lamb, the steaks, and the pork were all very well prepared and met our quality expectations. The price points for the wine list were quite high and unreasonably so. However, if you bring your own Bernardus wine there is no corkage.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Husband and I had a lovely steak dinner. Attentive wait staff, fresh salad and veggies. My only complaint was that it was very dark. I and to use my cell phone to see what I was eating at different points throughout the meal. I ordered top sirloin and lobster, husband got the angus top sirloin, both excellent choices. Loved the romantic feel just wish there could have been a little more light. We will return.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Will's has been around for a long time. Always the great atmosphere, bar, and old time antipasta plates, served up with a perfect piece of meat. They offer vegetarian as well.
They also have outside dining around the firepit weather permitting. Great location.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is by far the friendliest service in town. I was hungry, and my boyfriend wasn't quite ready to order. Our lovely blond waitress, whose name escapes me, (she has horses, I know that) took matters into her own hands and brought me bread and some soup samples. How nice is that! The entire staff went out of their way to make us experience a pleasurable one. The food was fine, but the service was outstanding.