“Pricey”
Review of Will’s Fargo - CLOSED

Will’s Fargo
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Village Drive
Description: The storied origins of the Holman Ranch Tavern stretch back to 1928 when a quaint brick watering spot was built in the center of Carmel Valley Village to serve weary travelers on their way to and from the therapeutic Tassajara Hot Springs. From the day it was constructed through today, this roadhouse has gone by many names: The Carousel and Will’s Fargo Dining House & Saloon to name a few. From a teahouse to a steakhouse complete with its own butcher shop, this historic building has been home to locals and visitors alike and housed many a celebration. In November 2014, The Lowder family from Alabama purchased this iconic building with the intent of restoring it and bringing it into the fold of their thriving wine and events business established at the 400 acre Holman Ranch, also built in 1928. In Spring 2016, Holman Ranch Tavern completed its transformation into an establishment known for serving delicious concoctions alongside a menu that pairs these libations with food to share. Under every owner since it was built, the Tavern has been the site of California friendliness, now with a touch of Southern hospitality sprinkled in. Whatever the name, it has always provided Visitors and Locals alike with a soft seat to rest, a hearty drink and comforting food. Welcome to the Holman Ranch Tavern.
Monterey, California
“Pricey”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were in the area for a stay-vacation to celebrate our 2nd anniversary and upcoming arrival of our little one. (I was 35wks pregnant during this trip). The decor reminded me much of a western saloon, which we both enjoyed. The next thing that we noticed were the prices on the menu. It was a special occasion, so it we didn't balk.
We got our usual to start: calamari. It wasn't the best we've had. The crisp kept falling off the squid. And the taste wasn't too flavorful.
Hubby got quail and top sirloin. I got goat cheese ravioli with the sundried tomato. We both were happy with these dishes. Now my husband is a bit of a steak snob. Though he was okay with the steak, he did like the quail much more. (It was his first time having it). And that was the first time I had finished a whole meal as my stomach no longer has space. Not because it was overly delicious, but the serving size was just right for me.
There are a few things that I do pay more attention to with restaurants: their dessert menu and if they refill my husband's drink quickly. Both started off good, then puttered in the end. They refilled his ice tea, but not his coffee. The waiter asked if he wanted a refill. He replied yes, especially since it was Illy brand, his favorite. But the waiter walked past the table 3x, looked at the empty cup and didn't refill it all. As for the desserts: an inviting selection. The brownie was dry and tasted like it was baked in the microwave. And I'm pregnant. They couldn't expect that half a scoop of vanilla would be okay with me!
Overall, I would recommend this spot if you're in the area. Would we come back? Probably not. The reason: been and done. We live over the hills that separate Carmel Valley and Monterey. We know of much better places for much cheaper.

Visited February 2014

San Diego
“Happy Place”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

a real kick...... excellent service, fun decor, great food, good wine, reasonable prices, we had a great time ........

Visited December 2013
Monterey County, California
“Old favorite, but disappointing service”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants but last night was a bit disappointing. We were a party of five which is a bit odd sometimes difficult to accommodate. Because of this we had a table by the kitchen door where we kept getting bumped. It also took two hours to eat dinner and I had to pay someone down to pay the bill. Food and ambience are usually great will be back.

• Visited December 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“typical restaurant great food perfect service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

this is a nice place to eat. We had a carpaccio then a hamburger for 2 we paied less than 50 $you may eat simple meals or more complicated ones. a great choice from fish to meat. Theyxare open 7 nights a week. I really recommend this place

• Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“always an excellent meal”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have been to Wills Fargo approximately 15 times and just love it. The food is consistently excellent. The servers are pleasant and knowledgable I had the salad with halibut and the salad with swordfish. Cooked perfectly, nice portion size, and pretty presentation. Always look forward to lunch at Wills Fargo when I visit.

• Visited October 2013