“Comfy, Casual Dining in a Formal Resort”
Review of Wickets - CLOSED

Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Laureles Grade
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Wickets is your casual dining option when you've done "Marinus" and want to hit the sack at a reasonable hour after your exhausting Pacific Coast Highway peregrinations.

The preferable seating is in the very attractive large dining patio with cozy fireplace seating and view of the resort grounds, but chilly weather can drive you to the bistro indoors, to eat leisurely, chat idly, drink fulsomely and watch sports on the bar TV.

The menu is limited, but good, since it emanates from Chef Stamenov's seasonally-focused kitchen.

Overall, good food, good vibes, good value.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great food, service and ambience with reaonable prices. Bernardus wines (especially the Pinot Noirs) are worth trying

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Been coming here for years and enjoying. It's gone downhill in my last visit in May, 2014.

Service was unusually slow, and much slower than previously experienced.

Food quality was inconsistent, tough chicken slices in the sandwiches and bacon that was not crisp. We did have wonderful soup and other entrees.

The seating did not offer sun or shade, and we seemed to be inconveniencing the head staff during the process. Not a warm welcome they usually provide.

When it came to ordering, they understood my order, then brought out the wrong item, then said they heard me differently. Normally, this is not a problem and it happens in even the best places, but strangely the waitress confirmed my order as being a salad in 2 different and unambiguous ways, then they brought out the entree version. But, the waitress then came over an apologized claiming she heard me wrong; it's like she is taking the blame for a mistake in the kitchen.

I know others have had great experiences here recently, but I have noticed some recent problems that are uncharacteristic of a top notch resort.

I hope the great Marinus restaurant or the wonderful their lodge still have the great service and quality I have enjoyed through the years.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have gone to this restaurant several times in the past and i was very satisfied for their services and the quality of the food. Today i took seven persons there for lunch and i left very disappointed for the service ,for the food,and for the attitude of the receptionist.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

My experience at Wickets prompted me to stop going to Bernardus and Marinus. It all started when a "VIP", whom I would hardly call important, visited the restaurant, as he regularly does. We were denied the table we wanted because he was to arrive, which didn't happen for hours. That's not usually an issue, but the way in which the hostess defended this table was both rude and unprofessional.

During our next visit, I reserved the table, and offered to give up the table in exchange for another suitable table, in the event that Mr. "VIP" shows up. The hostess agreed.

We showed up at dinner and were told that Mr. "VIP" was expected. I then went to sit at the other table that we had agreed to and were told by Ms. Sassypants the hostess that this table was also reserved. I reminded her of our agreement and she denied it, and said that it was already reserved. This, of course, came with her typical attitude.

I then asked our server, with whom we had a very good relationship from the previous evenings $2,500 ticket and accompanying $600 gratuity, what the deal was. She pointed out that the hostess gave up our second table to another regular.

I approached the hostess, who then blatantly lied about the entire situation. From that point on, every time I walked by, she would scowl at me. The following morning, I was pushing my baby up to a door, and she scowled at me from 10' away.

I had enough. I called in and complained to the manager about our multiple poor experience with this hostess as well as her poor attitude, all of which made our stay very uncomfortable. He agreed that she was "rough around the edges" and told me that he would look into it and call back. He then called back and told me that the hostess had said that she had smiled at me and held the door open. Another lie.

I suggested that any business of hospitality that employs people who lie and treat their customers such as this would not be one that I would be able to return to. He said that was unfortunate, but that he had worked with this awful hostess for several years, and would not terminate her, liar or not.

Bernardus has a lot of potential, but as long as they employ managers who protect unscrupulous staff at the expense of their guests, I cannot spend another dollar there.

All in and all, the whole experience was extremely uncomfortable. I cannot imagine a property of any caliber continuing the employment of any staff member that lies or treats their guests with blatant rudeness, or that employs managers that defend this behavior based on personal relationships.

There are lots of places to stay in Carmel, such as Trip Advisor's #1 rated hotel, Carmel Valley Ranch. I won't leave another dollar at Wickets or Bernardus.