“Romantic place with great food”
Review of Marinus At Bernardus Lodge - CLOSED

Marinus At Bernardus Lodge
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Laureles Grade
Sunnyvale, California
“Romantic place with great food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a nice romantic dinner here on a Saturday night.

The mushroom soup we had was very unique, a little rich on its own, but paired perfectly with foie gras, which was a nice surprise. We had wanted to try the full truffle risotto that we had read about, but unfortunately they did not serve it that night. We got the regular risotto, but it was still good. The best dish of the night was the Nuntucket bay scallops with trout roe.

Our waitress was polite, friendly and knowledgeable, and gave great recommendations for wine pairing with the foie gras. After the meal, we warmed up outside next to a cosy fireplace.

The entire experience was marvellous and definitely well worth it.

• Visited February 2013

Carmel, California
“Ladies Luncheon”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a ladies luncheon there earlier this month so I got a good look at the dishes other ordered.

The best one was by far the Ruben with fries (or salad). Mine was a burger that they gave me without a bun! I sent it back and they slapped a bun and gave it back, the burger was cold and a little charred, if I had been there with a smaller group, would have sent that back too, but with a large group, ate as much of it as I could.

I like the location and the ambiance (outside), we sat in a small banquet style room (yawn).

I will go back, just to see what the outside experience will be, but for cocktails only

Visited February 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Great food, very romantic”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Had a great dinner here with my wife. I had a risotto with black truffles that was excellent and enjoyed all of my courses. Solid wine list and it was great to walk around the grounds of Bernardus after dinner.

• Visited November 2012
Corralitos, California
“romantic”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a lovely, romantic birthday escape to the lodge and a wonderful dinner. I think the food was not 5*, maybe an off night, or maybe operating like a hotel restaurant instead of fine dining, but the experience was marvelous.

Visited May 2012
Boston
“They did a renovation and it's even better!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I have been to Marinus a number of times in the last 10 years. We've always loved it, but now that they did some renovations to it, it's even better. It isn't as formal as before - surprisingly more low-key but the food, service and ambiance are still incredible. The mushroom soup is to die for -- delicious and I don't even like mushrooms! The sommelier was wonderful in suggesting a bottle of wine that would both compliment my fish and my husbands' veal. If you can, you can also grab a drink outside first and sit in beautiful Carmel Valley and smell in amazing lavender.

• Visited July 2012