“Above average Pizzeria” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Carmel Valley, California
“Above average Pizzeria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Good pizza, reasonably priced (by the, huge, slice) or whole. Tucked away in the corner of Mid-Valley shopping center.

• Visited February 2013

Carmel, California
“Pizza by the Slice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is our daughter's favorite pizzeria in Carmel. She loves the Cheese Pizza (which she can never finish because the slice is massive). We have enjoyed their made to order pizzas as well. It's an out of the way place that you could easily miss if you blinked, but definitely worth checking out if in the Mid Valley Shopping Center

Visited February 2013
Carmel
“Nice Italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Great little spot for mid-valley residents looking for a casual spot with great salads, pasta and pizza. Go as you are...very comfortable spot with outdoor seating.

Visited August 2012
Gearhart, Oregon
“Just ok if you don't feel like cooking dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I went here for dinner last night and we're split on how we feel about it. He thought it was fine but not awesome, I thought it was less so. It seems like people especially out in the Valley really like this place (maybe for a lack of choice), but I just don't get it.

We started with the Italian salad which was just ok. THE BAD: average, Costco Italian dressing on romaine, a little too heavily dressed. THE GOOD: a very large portion, easily split by two and probably three people.

Next, we received an order of "garlic bread" which was really cheese bread. THE BAD: WAY too much flavorless, processed, greasy mozzarella cheese on flavorless bread. THE GOOD: marinara had good flavor and the portion was huge- enough for probably five or six people to split.

Next, the pizza. THE BAD: again, flavorless bread drowning in greasy cheese. THE GOOD: a huge portion for a medium and the sauce was good.

Suggestions for the owner: Stop wasting money on oversized portions and spend it on better quality ingredients instead. For example, throw some provolone or romano into the cheese blend to give it some flavor. Come up with a great homemade dressing recipe instead of using pre-bottled junk. I can buy that myself and make a cheap salad at home with it. If I go out, I want something different and delicious. For the garlic bread, buy fresh italian bread from a local bakery every day, spread it with a little homemade garlic butter, toss a handful (not a bucket) of cheese on it, put it under the broiler for a couple of minutes and it'll be amazing- just give enough for 2-3 people, not for 5-6. Work on the crust recipe so that it has some flavor, too. It was just so bland.

I much prefer Pizza My Heart or homemade to this place. On the upside, we were seated quickly, our food came quickly, and the server was super friendly.

One more issue to mention... I couldn't help but notice that the wall next to our little booth was filthy. I tried hard not to look at it and wonder what all of that was- it needs a wipe down badly as did the door/windows covered in handprints. The place just looks a little tired and could use some care and freshening up.

I really appreciate little local places trying to do something good and special so I hate to slam something like this, but it's important for owners and managers to know what people think.

• Visited May 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great pizza and they have gluten-free pizzas too!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stumbled across Iolis' Pizzeria by chance recently and it was a great little restaurant. Our daughter has a wheat intolerance and they have gluten-free pizzas so she was more than happy! It is a tiny restaurant but had loads of atmosphere and is obviously very popular as it was really busy, especially with people picking up take-away orders. Fantastic pizza and the pasta looked great too. Definitely worth checking it out, and not expensive!!

• Visited April 2012