“I WILL NOT RETURN”

Reserve a Table
Wed, 10/16
8:00 PM
Ranked #16 of 37 Restaurants in Carmel Valley
Description: International Smoke infuses the way we gather, share, and experience food with flair and a healthy dose of attitude. Inspired by Chef Michael Mina and Ayesha Curry’s personal travels around the world, the restaurant celebrates food as the heart of the community and spotlights how global approaches to fire, grilling, smoke, and international flavors create dishes that bring people together.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went for lunch and had their signature ribs, Korean style, I found them bland and boring. I also had their Truffle Caesar which was OK but not wonderful. Desert was a small cookie of which they seemed very proud, I was not impressed. I felt that there was not enough attention to the seasoning of anything and wondered if today was the chefs day off. Salt may have helped the salad and the ribs but there was no one to ask and none on the table

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (16)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had heard about this new restaurant in the still under construction mini-neighborhood of One Paseo in the Del Mar Highlands north of San Diego. Nearby parking spaces are not easy to find, but there is a parking garage in easy walking distance. Lunch begins at 11:30a.. inside and plenty of outside seating in an open concept (no interior walls)... makes for mingling around the bar, but wouldn't want to be at those tables trying to have an intimate dinner on Friday or Saturday evenings around happy hour. We sat outside; Jorge treated us royally.. explained the concept and menu thoroughly, highlighting his favorites and most popular (and different items). The business lunch menu looked appealing, but was too much (three course) for us that day. We ended up with a fish- witch accompanied by outstanding potato chips, and a half rack (six moist, meaty pork ribs) - both were enough on their own, washed down with glasses of Albarino and Chenin Blanc. Well though out wines by the glasswork or bottle. All in all, a pleasant and tasty lunch. We'll most likely return.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Front desk people need to get a more organized - seems to be aimed more for office workers - not really a family restaurant - on the higher price range -
Food ok - the problem was the booth seating - we all ranged from 5 feet 4 inches to 5 foot 8 inches and none of us could reach the floor! pretty weird our legs dangled like kids ! Not very comfortable at all -

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This new (to San Diego) place comes with a great pedigree and fanfare. This is the type of place San Diegans will often embrace regardless of the quality of the food (e.g. Searsucker). We really liked the idea of the fusion of several styles of food and the place looks beautiful. The food was entirely underwhelming and in a couple instances just bad. The grilled chicken entree was baked in some goop and then touched to a grill. Absolutely the worst chicken dish I ever had in a restaurant. The ribs were bland and way too chewy. The lettuce ups were a good lesson on how to sell 1/8 oz of chopped beef for $19.00 (lettuce leaves included). The crab fried rice was tasty and we liked the falafel and hummus. The service was good throughout and I suppose I would try it again to see if this was a one-off but I won't get anywhere near that chicken again.

Reviewed September 10, 2019

We ordered the St Louis pork ribs, one of the signature dishes of the restaurant. We each got a different flavor (American and Korean). The flavors are amazing. The slight problem was that the meat was overcooked and bit dry.

The corn muffin was amazing.

I will give them another chance, but the next time I will point out that my previous order was dry.

1  Thank Jim T