“Rustic YET Charming”

Los Laureles Lodge
Simi Valley, California
“Rustic YET Charming”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Don't be mislead my some of the reviews. The Los Laureles Lodge, is quaint, clean and really a pleasant place to stay. Rooms were cute & clean, staff was very polite, breakfast was more than adequate, waffles, sliced fresh fruit, home baked muffins, the "granola" is made from scratch and is quite good! Granted the pool is used by the local community during the day, but I did not mind since we were there to see local sites and friends. The restaurant & salon are well kept secrets and not to be overlooked. Keep in mind when you read reviews, You can NEVER please everyone ~ in fairness to Los Laureles Lodge, try them you will be pleased, it is quiet and peaceful yet just 11 miles to the ocean & Carmel.by the Sea.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might ask to be away from the road. However, not really sure that w...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 40425

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Redding, California
Reviewed August 22, 2013

After spending the day in Carmel, Carmel-By-The-Sea, and Monterey I enjoyed the relative tranquility of Carmel Valley. Los Laureles is an historic lodge and that means not all the amenities of a modern 5-star hotel. If you want that experience then go back to Carmel or Monterey.

The rooms are clean, medium-size, with updated bathrooms. There is a smell of cleaning chemicals that is slightly noticeable when first entering the room. I was there for two days and stopped noticing it after about 30 minutes. The beds and pillows were comfortable and I slept very well.

The pool area was nice with a small bar and you could order food there with service fast and friendly. Many locals seemingly come here to use the pool, eat and imbibe though the pool is closed to non-guests after 8 pm.

The breakfast was OK but I would have preferred some kind of protein option. Even hard-boiled eggs would have sufficed. As it was, I drank coffee and ate some fruit. The fruit plate was very nice and the coffee tasted fresh.

The restaurant (open for lunch and dinner) is very good and we ate there two nights. Meals were very reasonably priced for this area and the quality of prep and execution excellent. For instance, I got duck which included a leg confit and a breast magret. That was $18!

Even though I have a few nitpicks with Los Laureles, I find it a good value for this area.

Room Tip: Carmel Valley is less than 1.5 miles away and provides good dining options which is where I would fi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mi S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I was greatly looking forward to staying at this location for a friend's wedding and had to cancel a few days prior due to a death in the family. When I called to explain my situation, they wouldn't refund my deposit unless they could fill my room. I called back a few days later to see if there was any luck. Well, they were able to sell a portion of my room and still wouldn't refund the deposit. I guess their deposits are more important than any empathy or understanding for real life and hard situations. I hear this place is lovely but the service and principles guiding it are not something I can support.

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank LindseyH08
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I grew up in Carmel Valley and still have family there. Patty and I just stayed at Los Laureles in connection with a 50th high school reunion event--my first stay at the Lodge since 1971. It's important to understand that this is an older facility. The hotel website starts its history with a 1915 acquisition by the Pacific Improvement Company, but if memory serves it was a stage coach stop well before that. In selecting a place to stay in Carmel Valley, it's also important to keep in mind that options are quite varied.

We stayed in the "Honeymoon Cottage" so some of this review will not apply to other rooms. The small, quaint, cottage was attractively remodeled in a style was somewhat 1970s-ish. The large room included a King sized bed and a hide-a-bed in an adjacent area. There is a nicely sized refrigerator and a coffee maker. Heat is provided by a 1950ish natural gas or propane wall heater with a somewhat touchy thermostat. Wiring is relatively contemporary. There is a small, quite-private porch area that faced onto a wooded area. The television was relatively ancient, but there was a reasonable selection of channels.

Concerns:

(1) The in-room 3-ring binder is many years out of date. (Example: It assumes you will connect to the internet using a phone line and makes no mention of the fact that the room has WiFi. (We only found out about the WiFi when we asked about internet at the front desk.)

(2) The "continental breakfast" is remarkably forgettable. Except for the fruit and coffee, it's hard to find much nice to say about it. Two cereal choices: One was a granola that had a bitter taste and the other looked like rice crispies. Even some Cheerios would have been a considerable improvement. Our first morning the baked goods were limited to the oversized triglyceride-loaded muffins that nobody should be eating. The second morning there were also plain croissants served with butter that was too cold to spread. Suggestion: Since you have a frig in the room, consider hitting a grocery store before checking in.

(3) Road noise: There's not much to be done about the historic location--that is immediately adjacent to the busy Carmel Valley Road. This problem particularly impacts the swimming pool area that is just a fence away from the road.

(4) There were occasional ants in the bathroom.

(5) Some windows did not have screens, but Carmel Valley has relatively few flying critters.

Bottom line: We would likely go back if a similar occasion arises--but we will hit the mid-Valley Safeway first. --Jeff

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank strathj
Sonoma, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The place looks like an old ranch! The rooms are nothing special, but the hospitality at the front desk and at the restaurant is killer! Continental breakfast of homemade muffins and granola, nice big selection of fresh fruit and coffee from 7:30 to 10:30 am. They are even kind enough to supply coffee to-go cups to take back to your still sleeping spouse! Certain rooms are doggie friendly but the room we stayed in was close to the main road - so a bit noisy in the morning. If you're used to flat screen large tvs you're be disappointed with the teeny tiny tv. Free wi-fi - need i say more?Highly, highly recommend the restaurant here - superb food. Also recommend hiking with your doggie at the nearby Garland Ranch regional park and be sure to check out the spa place called Refuge in Carmel about 20 min away. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SCBerry
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We came up or the weekend with 14 corvettes...28 people. Spent the morning doing the 17mile,drive. Can you imagine our surprise and disappointment when we returned. No parking and a pool packed with people. . When we asked, we were told they open the pool to the public for a day charge from 1-5. Here we are paying guests and we cannot use the pool. We complained about parking and were told we can park in no parking area. Wow, if we get hit, we would be at fault for parking in a no parking zone. We really wanted a relaxing weekend.

Room Tip: Check ahead if you want to use the pool and parking lot!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Diane S
Monterey, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We live in Monterey and like to come to the valley to get out of the fog and catch some sun. And this is a great place to stay! The lodge is older but, older doesn't mean bad. Beds are comfy, bathrooms are clean, and the pool is super cool. Reminds me of an old Hollywood pool. We always do the package that includes dinner. The restaurant is great my different spots to dine. We like the little room with a few tables looking out at the gardens. It's perfect and I find we are often the only people in that room. We have stayed in many of their rooms and have enjoyed all of them. We do bring a white noise maker only because my husband is a very light sleeper and it is close to the road but, it has never been an issue.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 25 in Carmel
Carmel Valley Lodge
Carmel Valley Lodge
#1 of 1 in Carmel Valley

Been to Los Laureles Lodge? Share your experiences!