“One of the Best Sushi Restaurants in Northern California”
Review of Akaoni

Akaoni
Ranked #81 of 161 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The restaurant is very small so you absolutely need to make a reservation. The best bet is to sit at the sushi bar and watch a master at work. The food is exceptional and you will not be disappointed. They have a nice sake list with a couple of really good choices.

1  Thank PSMCalifornia

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I ate dinner here recently on a business trip after having the restaurant recommended to me. This is a small and authentic Japanese restaurant that seats about 20 people. Service is excellent as is the food. The variety is large with an additional number of specials based on whatever seafood is fresh and available locally. Quality seems to be very high and I enjoyed everything. The fried tofu was great as an appetizer with a wonderful texture and flavor. The fish was plentiful and fresh. Everything is prepared individually so don't expect extreme speed, but do expect a very nice experience. Reservations are essentially mandatory - at least in the evening.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

It was my first visit to Carmel and I did a little Trip Advisor research and found this restaurant. We love sushi and always try to find the best sushi in each town we visit. We care much more about the quality of the fish than the decor of the restaurant, but this little place doesn't fail in either category. First, you MUST make a reservation as the seating is really limited. It's obviously a local favorite, so just assume that it will be packed. We sat at the sushi bar and found the service to be just excellent. Our food was fantastic and there was a great sake selection. This will be saved as one of my favorites!

Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Tip: reservations are strongly encouraged, the space is very limited

Pros: delicious food, very fresh and quality fish, authentic Japanese, perfeccionist chef (it takes some time to prepare but the result is amazing), exquisite, lovely decor and dish ware

We had the sashimi platter chef choice, sushi platter and shrimp/ veggies tempura (check my pics)

It was a great experience, the best one so far.
A few years ago when I started to eat sushi I had no idea about the difference about an all you can eat place and a restaurant like the Akaoni. Now I refuse myself to go to "ordinary" places.

1  Thank HelenaGuerra
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Fabulous sushi. It is small and simple but also simply awesome food. Love it!!! Homemade tofu was wonderful -- had it as part of seaweed/tofu salad that was delicious. Each piece of sushi was better then the last. Just incredible quality and freshness.