“Great food, good atmosphere, some downsides”
Review of La Bicyclette

La Bicyclette
Ranked #8 of 160 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is my second review of this restaurant. We're local and we've come here a few times, each time with a slightly worse experience. I love the food and the atmosphere, so I really want this to be our go-to place (we only live 6 blocks away) but I'm no sure if that's going to happen.

The staff are clearly aware of the popularity of the place and they're a little jaded because of it. They hardly ever make eye contact when taking orders, rarely visit after they've delivered something to check if it's ok, and just act generally standoffish. They think they're waiting tables in L.A., I think. Do these girls really not know how to be friendly and attentive to earn tips?

On our most recent visit, we took two friends and we were so embarrassed by what happened with the reservation process. We had been told earlier in the evening that our preferred reservation time was not available and we were offered 9 p.m. instead. We didn't want to do that, so we took an earlier time than we had originally desired- around 7:30. When we arrived, despite the empty tables all around, we were put at a 4 top near the back by the kitchen. As the meal progressed, we were aware of the restaurant getting emptier, not busier and as our originally desired 8:15 time passed, we couldn't believe that they couldn't have honored that reservation time- there was hardly anyone there. By 9 p.m., the time they suggested to us, we were the only other table in the place OTHER THAN THE TABLE AT WHICH THE ENTIRE SERVING STAFF WAS SEATED EATING THEIR DINNER IGNORING US!!!

They obviously were ready for us to go and brought the check without asking if we wanted dessert. Unbelievable.

Heads up to the management of La Bicyclette- we're local, we'd be in there a couple times per week probably if we felt like we were even noticed.

3  Thank Leslie319

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We had a very late lunch at La Bicyclette, and did it ever deliver. We had a roasted beet salad to share, we had a butternut squash pizza to share, and we had the Rustic French Apple Tart to share .... and it was perfect. The sous chef served the Tart to our table, and we were glad to be able to thank him personally for his contribution to our great day. And if you want to have some fun, persuse their (very extensive, very expensive) wine list! Oh, and visit the restroom - the wall of wine case 'ends' is charming.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

Went for lunch with a friend a couple of days ago. Their new addition is a lovely spot to sit on a nice day, with the windows open. We shared a plate of cured meats and each had the apple and goat cheese salad. Salad ingredients were fresh and good quality, and it was a tasty combo. The cured meats were the standout, especially the boar sausage. Delicious. Fresh hearty bread accompanied the meat plate.

Service was friendly but mediocre. None of the servers could tell us the names of the four cured meats on the plate, so we were left to figure things out for ourselves. With tip and tax, we paid $22 each, no drinks. Not bad for Carmel, but not great.

A bonus, in my opinion: La Bicyclette states on the menu that it sources some of its veggies from the local public middle school. I think that‘s swell.

Back story: We ate dinner here a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it but my companion got sick after, so I'd been avoiding this place. With this recent pleasant lunch experience, though, I'll likely return.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

The best aspect of the place is the location and the ambiance. Good food, I personally had a very good chocolate mousse there.

Good service.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Food was okay, very pricy and service left something to be desired. We asked about dessert and were given a menu but 20 min went by before they asked about it and by then, we just wanted to leave.

1  Thank mizkat1958