“What are you complaining about?”
Review of Nico Restaurant

Nico Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My experience here was nothing like the naysayers writing reviews for this Tuscany-inspired restaurant. My two sons and I had a late lunch here on the recommendation of the restaurant reviewer for the Sacramento Bee newspaper. We had gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce (rich pillows of goodness), seafood pasta (full of seafood with depth of flavor), and ravioli with wild mushrooms and arugula (I used the excellent bread to get every drop). All dishes were excellently flavored and presented. Service was wonderful. Yes, it was on the pricey side, but so is everything in Carmel.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is mediocer at best. The waiters can't seem to get anything straight, and the service took forever, then it was wrong.;' We were very disappointed in the food. I felt like they cut too many corners. Outrageosly expensive.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Many places to eat in carmel, chose this one because it looked intimate. Food was avaerage at best, the total bill was super expensive, especially for the wine, service charge already added, not that anyone asked if we had enjoyed our meal. Quite intimidating and to be honest the most average meal we have had on our vacation including LA and Santa Barbara.

Asked if they served glasses of wine rather that bottles, a rather disinterested waiter pointed to the list if half bottles, no conversation, no suggestions, felt that now that we weren't purchasing a very expensive bottle there was nothing in it for him. Thats how it felt.

My husband ordered a starter and we ordered two mains. Starter arrived and was huge. When the disintersted waiter return to collect the plate ( not check if everything was OK ) I asked if that starter was for one person ( thought it was huge if so ). Informed it was for two and walked off (great sales technique now we we're paying for two starters having ordered one!).

Next came the water, bottled not tap like everywhere else ( great sales technique now were paying for water!)

By now I guess you get the drift.

Food was average, service none exisitant, extras thrown in whether you want them or not.

If your visiting I feel you need to be very insistant on what you want and what you want to pay for, not sure how that will go down and not sure that is the definaition of customer service any way.

My advice try A W Shucks, great food, great service, great bar srevice.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Lured initially from the street by the owner with a promise of a seemingly excellent meal and experience seemed like a good idea. Carmel has many choices for fine dining restaurants so with the clear message that the high prices would be worth it..we were happy to walk in.  That was the last we saw of the owner.

You get charged an automatic 20% service fee...but no service.

I'm from Sydney, Australia. I'm used to "no tipping required" restaurants.

Pouring your own $70USD bottle of wine that the waiter has crumbled a cork into was a bit weird. Then making room on our small table by moving bread plates and cutlery that clearly wasn't required any more is pretty lousy.

I don't know, felt like I could have gone somewhere where the service would have been worth the price tag.

Perhaps the "guaranteed" service charge..for service or not..is a new concept for me. But hey..we are only here for a night..so it's not like they need to impress us to come back...

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Not only were we pleasantly surprised by thefood at this little gem, the espresso was top notch! We ate outside in their quaint garden area and were served Italian food that was so much more than your standard fare. If we lived in the areawe would become regulars.