New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of La Playa Carmel

La Playa Carmel
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
British Columbia
“Classy hotel right out of England”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in this amazing hotel in an amazing location in the beginning of July. A quick quaint walk into town for some great restaurants and shopping. The town not only reminded me of England but so did the hotel. The lobby is so beautiful and boasts the most beautiful mantle piece. The staff were very nice and very helpful. Our room was amazing. We were on the third floor looking out to the ocean and down to the English style gardens and pool. We opened the (very old but very English) windows and slept with them open to hear the ocean. The bed was extremely comfortable. After a little lunch on our first day we sat outside under heater lamps and had a few glasses of wine. It was so relaxing. The breakfast was wonderful and if you don't want to eat out on the veranda then there is a large charming breakfast room. The front of the hotel is so cute with bikes displayed with basest of flowers! Made for some great pictures! There is also free parking... we parked right in front of the hotel! No need for passes or valet. We were so thrilled with this hotel and I hated to leave it. Don't book anywhere else in Carmel.... You have to experience La Playa Carmel!!!!

Room Tip: Oceanfront for sure!!!
3 Thank greecerps

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a single night, but dissatisfied with the service, the rooms and the high price. Good news is the free breakfast was very impressive. We didn't even know we were getting free breakfast, but they had a decent selection of pastries, yogurt, fruit and a waffle and omelet station. The breakfast service was the highlight. We didn't get to the bar in the evening, but it looks like a very cool setting and worth a visit.

To the negative, the front door staff is young, inexperienced and weird. When we first Checked in, they offered a bellman to help with baggage (which I appreciated as I have an injured shoulder). The bellman never showed up. We asked for a quiet room and they put us right above the lobby entrance where cars park and people congregate and smoke. The room was average size, but you have to move furniture around to open and shut the windows given the large indoor wood shutters. The hotel was in decent shape, but the windows are single pane so sound comes right through. We asked if it were possible to move rooms and they showed us an alternate room that was much louder (I guess they were being sarcastic) and another that was super, super tiny.

The hotel doesn't have dinner service nor room service, so I went to the desk to ask if they could recommend a takeout place. The Front desk made a good suggestion and they told me they had a free shuttle service and asked if I would be interested. I said sure and he told me the car would be there right away. Like the bellman, the shuttle was elusive as he didn't show up after 10 minutes so I walked to town (not too far, but its a quant town without street lights, jagged sidewalks, etc).

Overall, I paid about $450 for a single night to be treated like I was in a $99/ night motel. Walking through town I was bummed I didn't stay at one of the smaller more casual hotels or a b&b where I have stayed prior, had better service and felt more
welcome.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SFHillBilly
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear SF Hillbilly,
Thank you for feedback regarding your recent experience at La Playa. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and I am sorry that we disappointed you during your recent stay with us. I am embarrassed by the poor impression that we left with you. I was pleased to know that you did enjoy our Champagne breakfast.
Given another opportunity, I am confident that we can provide the service and memorable experience that you should expect at La Playa. I would be most happy to make arrangements for a future stay. Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.
Not available
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed two nights at this charming hotel. From the moment we walked in, I fell in love with the place! The staff was warm, friendly and helpful right from the start. Our room was absolutely perfect with a beautiful view of the gardens and beach-we could even hear the ocean from our room. I was a little concerned about the fact that there is no air conditioning-but it was not a problem at all. The windows open wide in the room and there are no bugs-so with the cooler weather, we enjoyed keeping the windows open for fresh air. The grounds are spectacular, it's in a perfect location, excellent breakfast and customer service-you couldn't ask for more. I whole-heatedly would recommend this hotel for anyone I know. Can't wait to go back!

1 Thank Sasha T
Summerville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided to add one night in Carmel during our stay in California. I am so glad we did, Carmel was wonderful. What a gem we found at La Playa! The property is absolutely beautiful. The breakfast room is very pretty, and the breakfast was amazing. I hope to get a chance to go back!

Very close to the beach and to town.

I recommend a trip Point Lobos State reserve. It is about 10 minutes south of Carmel.

Room Tip: Our room was in the front of the hotel above the entrance. The noise was a bit loud when guests wer...
1 Thank Victoria1220
Yardley, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a really nice stay. The rooms are nicely appointed despite being on the smaller side. WONDERFUL buffet breakfast included in room fee...nice pool/gardens. Best of all close to beach, short walk into commercial part of town. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Erica V
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

“A lovely beachy-charming hotel for a romantic or gal pals getaway. I recently stayed two nights with a dear girlfriend while we attended the Nike Tennis Camp at Pebble Beach. We loved being right at the edge of Carmel-by-the-Sea (one of the most charming villages I’ve seen anywhere – in the world!) and just blocks away from a gorgeous stretch of doggy-friendly beach. The staff couldn’t have been friendlier – always ready to help but never intrusive. And the grounds were just adorable – especially looking out, admiring them over breakfast. A great perk of this hotel – they have a complimentary shuttle service available to take you anywhere in/around town. It was wonderful not having to drive in and out of the hotel, made our stay just that much easier!”

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Consigliera-S
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We love this place and have stayed here many times. However, this time we were looking for 2 rooms for a quick overnight visit. I booked the cheapest rate and completely regret it (my fault, won't do that again). No view, no ocean breeze, the room was really stuffy.
If you are looking to stay here, get a garden room, or ask for a room with a view. It is a beautiful spot.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family