La Playa Carmel
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$139
Hofsas House Hotel(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$155
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$133
$169
$150
Official Site
Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$180
ComfortInn
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$147
$135
Hotels.com
Quail Lodge & Golf Club(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$225
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$505
Pine Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$183
$178
Orbitz.com
$459
All reviewschampagne breakfastcookies and milkfree shuttleevening wine tastingshuttle servicewaffle stationno elevatorgarden roomhotel barbeautiful hotelocean viewtwo blocksbreakfast was amazingbeautiful groundsthe hotel offersluxury hotelcommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

A very intimate and quiet hotel. A full service bar, lovely gardens, kids played the giant chess set, nice swimming pool. Situated a short walk down to the beach or up to the quaint shops of Carmel. Located amongst what I gather are the more affluent holiday homes of Carmel.

Only negatives I can report are;
• for a double queen room there was never enough soap or shampoo left in the room. It was as though they were skimping on this, and;
• the towels had a very strong bleach smell when you dried your face or hair. Not really what you'd expect.
• a little too expensive for what you get or anything comparable.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time in Carmel and loved this hotel. The room was beautiful and the view of the ocean and Pebble Beach are like a postcard. Everything about the place contributed to a wonderful vacation. The concierge, Alexis, did a great job recommending hikes and restaurants. The hotel offers a shuttle to all the restaurants, but everything is so close that we never used it or our car. Brett was also super helpful and very knowledgeable. The covered and heated patio is the perfect place to have your coffee and watch the ocean and the complimentary breakfast is unique and delicious. Love the hotel and the town and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

As I entered the lobby, no one was in line. That was a relief as I had driven over a hundred miles and thought check-in would be quick with no one else around. However, the reception staff member told me to wait and that someone will be with me shortly. The same staff member tended to some paperwork behind the counter for about 30 seconds then a hotel guest approached asking for help and that same staff member tended to the guest for over 5 minutes. Right afterwards, the staff member asked me for my name. That was odd that the staff member didn't just check me in when I arrived. I didn't care for the robotic way of this receptionist mentioning the hotel amenities and sounded like I was being rushed off because now there were people standing behind me. It took only took about 10 seconds for the receptionist to find my reservation and now I was being rushed. A bell hop walked me to my car and helped me with my luggage. As we were climbing the stairs, I realized there are no elevators in this four level hotel. Arrived to the village room with a queen bed to find it is small. The bathroom room door is in the way of the sink and hides the little window without a screen. Shower in the bath and toilet are small. Closet has a small step that I tripped over a few times. The dresser has only four small drawers, too low to the floor and in the same cabinet as the mini refrigerator that makes a loud buzzing noise so turned that off later that night. The sidewalk right under my window was being power washed and the motor on that machine was way too loud. That continued for over an hour. Later that night around 9pm, hotel guests were slamming their doors so after about an hour and half of that, I got dressed and went down to the front desk to complain. The walls are pretty thin, I could hear people outside my room. Now, it's morning and sounds like there are contractors right outside my window sawing something. I'm not staying for breakfast. Very disappointed and won't be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank criticzee
Mary C, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Criticzee,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your recent stay at La Playa. I was very sorry to learn of your experience. We endeavor to provide all of our guests with an exceptional experience, and we clearly disappointed you during your stay with us. We have taken extensive noise reduction measures during our recent renovation and will continue to monitor any future areas of concern. Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We spent thee lovely nights at La Playa. Our room was comfortable if not huge, with a large airy bathroom. The pool area and gardens are what sold us on the property and we were not disappointed. We took lovely walks around Carmel and had some lovely food. The hotel staff are nice and helpful and the evening driver service is great. We notice some other reviews mention thin walls and noise. we did experience this a little, but it did not detract from the enjoyment of our stay We would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paripatetic
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Unique, updated and spacious room overlooking amazing gardens and pool. Excellent and friendly staff. Free shuttle to shops, etc. Terrific, full breakfast buffet each morning overlooking the Pacific. Difficult to imagine a better spot in Carmel. 2 block walk to the beach. Great for reunion with several comfortable gathering places within the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique so be sure to discuss details with them. Ours had a great, private patio overlooking the lush gardens. Others prefer an ocan view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple