La Playa Carmel
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$201
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$179
Official Website
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $198/night.

$401
Relais & Châteaux
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $460/night.

Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$189
$169
Travelocity
$355
$249
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of $304/night.

Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$600
$710
$629
All reviewschampagne breakfastcookies and milkfree shuttleevening wine tastingshuttle servicewaffle stationno elevatorocean viewgarden roombeautiful hotelhotel bartwo blocksbeautiful groundsbreakfast was amazingthe hotel offersluxury hotelcommon areas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time we stayed at La Playa Hotel. Nice older building recently redone. Surprised at NO parking at the hotel, door man said just park anywhere on the street, in fairness we found a spot fairly quickly.

Could not believe in the morning that they only had decafe coffee. I asked the waitress and she said they ordered to late. Went to the front desk who knew nothing about the decafe only, I told them they could go Nelson Brothers Deli nearby and buy 10lbs for the morning. Went back a bit later and they had my coffee.

Hotel was nice but overall service was not as we expected.

5  Thank sleepercarChicago_Il
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I must say I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel. As it turns out, it was a major disappointment. The ambience of the grounds and lobby are lovely. However, the garden room was not. Let me begin by saying that the rate was $385/nt. We were kept up for a few hours with children running down a hallway somewhere. We were not sure where, it shouldn't have been in the "library" above us at that hour, but the rooms are angled and we weren't sure where it was coming from. In addition, the bathroom light was on a motion sensor. Every time I turned over in bed, the light would go on. Finally, the temperature got very warm. The thermostat did not work in our room. All of this for a room at that rate is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Do not go with a garden-view room 105-109 were not good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank hobbstravel
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Although comfortable enough, I certainly wouldn't call this a boutique hotel. It's a fairly run of the mill upmarket seaside hotel without any unique quirks. Stayed for 3 nights recently and quite enjoyed my time there, though I would probably choose another option next time around.

We stayed in a standard room which was fine but very small. There was no mini-bar and lacked some of the regular features one would expect to find at hotels that charges mid-high end rates. The bed was quite comfortable though.

Breakfast was disappointed and it got very (too) busy on the weekend mornings.

That said, the hotel has a relaxed atmosphere and the lobby, reception and garden etc are lovely. Also liked the free wifi.

The staff was very friendly though.

4  Thank enixmatix
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Karen and I were married in the La Playa patio Garden Gazebo area 22 years ago and the setting is still perfect for weddings. The spacious patio area is beautifully landscaped and can be viewed by several charming guest rooms. All rooms are appointed very nicely with modern upgrades and located either on the garden level as well as from upper level floors. The upper rooms have views of the Pacific Ocean and the Hotel is within walking distance of the World Class Carmel Beach. The quaint Carmel downtown area is only a few blocks away and the hotel management offers shuttle service to and from downtown. The Bar area is old world charming and comfortable, service is great. The bar menu offers various appetizers and small bites. Complimentary breakfast is available as well as "Bud's" Happy Hour. We just spent our 22nd Anniversary there and stayed in room 116 which is one of the wonderful rooms located within the fenced heated swimming pool area. The pool rooms are spacious and lovely with gas fired fireplaces. Checking in and out is a breeze, staff members and all services are professionally overseen by General Manager Mary Crowe. You will enjoy your stay, The La Playa is great!

Room Tip: Let the Bellman or one of the staff know what you prefer and they will usually offer a room that is perfect for your needs.
2  Thank MaxC93940
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is one of my preferred places for complete relaxation. First of all, I love Carmel, and second , hotel La Playa has the most spectacular view of the ocean and the gardens. Life is perfect. I like what the restoration did to the hotel. Though the rooms are still unique, I enjoyed all modern updates. Usually I do not eat breakfast; however, I cannot refuse Champagne Breakfast Buffet while admiring the breathtaking ocean and garden views. After the day full of leisure events like golfing and shopping, I like to relax and sip on a cocktail, and indulge myself on great appetizers. What a perfect place.

Room Tip: King room with the ocean view is
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple