“Somewhat Disappointed!”

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
tulsa
“Somewhat Disappointed!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently stayed in a garden view room at the LaPlaya. On the positive side, the gardens are quite lovely, the staff members were very helpful and pleasant. Unfortunately, the room was not air-conditioned. We stayed in September, and it became very warm during the night. I called the desk and they said that I should "open a window". Since we were two women staying alone on a ground floor, it did not seem "safe" to open a window with not even a screen as protection . An intruder could easily have entered. Sleep was difficult. At one point, I found myself thinking, "I'm paying London prices for a motel 6 accommodation!" At this price range one would think that at least air conditioning, safety, and a comfortable (if not luxurious) night's sleep would be forthcoming. Yes, the grounds are lovely.... the room accommodation was disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
mary c, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I was disappointed to hear about the discomfort caused by the temperature in your guest room during your recent stay with us. Due to Carmel’s cooler year-round temperatures, buildings in our area are typically not air conditioned. As you experienced, we did have a heat wave last week with temperatures much higher than normal. I regret any discomfort caused by this weather anomaly, and that your stay did not meet your expectations. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to Carmel-by-the-Sea.
Mary Crowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 22, 2012

After contacting the hotel ahead of time, my wife and I planned to celebrate our anniversary at this "recently renovated, luxury hotel in Carmel". This hotel is anything but luxurious. A sloppy paint job, new carpet and a new bed is hardly an extensive renovation. We travel the world regularly and know from luxury accommodations. From the terrible room that we were initially taken to, this hotel couldn't get it right. There was a bottle of champagne and a note left for us in the first room. After requesting 3 times that the champagne be delivered to us in our changed room, it was never delivered, hence enjoyed. Furthermore, the exterior of the building needs a paint job, the wrought iron is crumbling and the windows in our ocean view room were old and substandard. When we showered, the whole room steamed up and the closet was in the very small bathroom. There were no drawers, very little counter space (much of it taken up by the TV). In addition, we gave the hotel a list of our dissatisfaction to the on site manager, Gennero. He never offered to adjust the bill and only said he would have the hotel General Manager, Mary Crowe, contact us. She never did and it's been 4 weeks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Steven D
mary c, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Steven,

I am very disappointed to learn of your experience at La Playa Carmel. Please accept my sincere apology for our lapse in communication. Guest feedback is a priority for us as we continue to tailor the La Playa experience to meet the expectations of our guests. I regret the confusion with delivery of the complimentary champagne we sent to your room in celebration of your anniversary. I hope you will accept our apology and enjoy the wine that we have sent to your home – (cheers!). I understand the recent restoration of our historic hotel will be interpreted uniquely by each guest based on personal preferences, and regret that we did not match your expectations. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to Carmel-by-the-Sea.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had a small 3 day executive retreat at La Playa this month. It was a great experience! The staff's customer service and attention to detail was outstanding. They even have a free shuttle to take you to and from downtown Carmel and nearby restaurants. Parking and internet are free, which are nice perks, and their complimentary champagne brunch was great each morning. The hotel is a short walk from downtown Carmel and an even shorter walk to the ocean. I can't wait to go back and would recommend La Playa to friends and family without hesitation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SDC22
cre8gale
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Just returned from my first visit to this property. When I read about it's recent renovations, I was expecting something exceptional. It wasn't. The staff was friendly and helpful, but for the money the rooms were nothing special. I would describe them as "pleasant". The brunch was adequate, but again, nothing extraordinary. We had a 4th floor room with ocean views, but there was no elevator - a fact that should be noted for anyone having difficulty with steps. There was some construction noise outside, which woke us up a bit sooner than we would have preferred. There are no other amenities, so for the price point, I would check other alternatives next time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cre8gale
Cincinnati
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our family visited Carmel and were lucky enough to find rooms at the La Playa hotel!!! We had just stayed at the Four Seasons in San Francisco so I was a little worried having never been there before because of the three star rating. Immediately upon our arrival the staff was warm and welcoming and most helpful. The lobby and adjacent sitting room were beautiful and the loggia with its view of the Pacific was magnificent. Our rooms were perfect! I truly loved every moment that I had in heavenly Carmel and would recommend the La Playa wholeheartedly. The staff was helpful and gracious down to the very last detail. The view from our window was incredible and we were lucky enough to witness a wedding taking place in the garden below our room. Honestly, an unbelievable experience!!!

Room Tip: Have dinner at Clint Eastwood's restaurant-food okay but ambience is a over the top! Try Porta...
3 Thank hateminersclub
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I have stayed at this HOTEL for the past 20 years evey summer. It HAD a lovely staff, HAD a lovely restaurant and room service and rooms were pretty good. I went there a few weeks ago and it is no longer a HOTEL but rather a BED AND BREAKFAST. There is no longer a restaurant, no longer room service, no longer the staff that was so pleasnt....i can go on and on. There is a little breakfast that they offer with hard boiled eggs, toast, oatmeal, yogurt...it is eh. The rooms are 400-500 a night and there is no restaurant or room service?!?! Now the rooms.....the rooms were ok, and they claim to renovate everything to make it better but that is hardly the case. The TV is tiny, the furniture has SHARP CORNERS! My father and i cut our legs and my mom her foot, all of it happened on bed corners. And not only that, the bathrooms, the night stands and the desks all have sharp corners. TERRIBLE! Also, you would think that while renovating that hotel that they would put down new floor boards. I could hear the people above walking all day/night and on top of that SNORE!!!! They should dupply earplugs to their guests. And not only that, when we checked out, someone charged a bar fee on our room. And i am still waiting for the hotel to take it off. Dont they check when someone has a bar tab that the name they sign matches the guest name? apparently not. I want my $115 back on my credit card. what kind of hotel staff doensnt pay us back for a charge that isnt ours? I am sorry, but this NOW BED AND BREAKFAST, NO LONGER A HOTEL, is not worth the $400-$500 a night. Its a shame that it never got better after all this talk of a renovation. I miss the old staff, i miss the restaurant and i miss the furniture that didnt hurt me. I dont plan to return this hotel after 20 years of staying there. It is worth maybe $150 a night.

Room Tip: chose a room on the top floor
6 Thank Maria811_12
mary c, General Manager at La Playa Carmel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Maria,
I am very disappointed to learn of your experience at La Playa Carmel, as your comments are not typical of the overwhelmingly positive guest feedback we’ve received. I understand the recent restoration of our historic hotel will be interpreted uniquely by each guest based on personal preferences, and apologize that we did not match your expectations. I am pleased to report that we have corrected your erroneous bar charge and issued a complete refund. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you again should your travels bring you to our beautiful corner of Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Guildford
Reviewed August 20, 2012

It was a shock to see a sign in Monterey saying "Boycott La Playa Carmel" - it turns out that the new owners sacked the previous workforce and this was them making a stand. Whilst we were there, a march paraded outside the hotel, however, this was calm and without incident. On the whole the hotel was ok, the pool was not warm so the kids didn't go in. The kitchen was not running so the food was limited. We decided to stay only 2 days rather than the 4 booked, they were ok about that. The room was great albeit ever so slightly debatable that it had an ocean view (303 from memory) - breakfast was nice, good selection of continental. Service was great, although the barman with the business degree, also studying a PhD, should perhaps stick to academic pursuits as his service was awful - especially closing the bar early because he was finishing up. Its a nice hotel in a great location - I would go back, but probably only as a couples retreat rather than a place to take the family.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the middle or the left hand side of the property (looking from the front) if you w...
4 Thank Ming1964
Dear Ming,
I am pleased that you found your guest room “great” and enjoyed the tasty selections presented in our complimentary Champagne Breakfast Buffet. Your comments regarding the great service you received are most appreciated, and reflective of our staff’s commitment to provide an exceptional experience for each and every guest. Fellow travelers will be interested to note that the mechanical issue with the pool heaters has since been corrected – so pack your swimsuits! I hope to welcome you back to our historic property in the future and welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience.
Mary Crowe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn
Quail Lodge & Golf Club
Tradewinds Carmel
Tradewinds Carmel
#7 of 25 in Carmel

Been to La Playa Carmel? Share your experiences!