“Beautiful- will be better after the renovation!”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Chicago, IL
“Beautiful- will be better after the renovation!”
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed at the Carmel Valley Ranch for a week-long getaway. We don't golf, but certainly enjoyed the peacefulness of the resort and made use of the wood-burning fireplace in the room almost every night. The resort grounds are gorgeous and we got a kick out of the deer and wild turkeys running around.

Our room was very large- it was great having a separate living room and two sinks in the bathroom. It was also spotlessly clean, but just seemed a bit worn (a few cracked tiles in the bathroom, water stains on the ceiling) and outdated.

If the lobby and main dining area are an indication of what the renovated rooms will look like, then they are going to be outstanding. The lobby area is sleek and has beautiful art.

We had dinner at the restaurant one evening. The menu was pretty limited, but the food was still delicious. We usually went into Carmel (Katy's Place!) or to the Wagon Wheel nearby for breakfast.

Overall a great stay and good service!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
La Canada, CA
Reviewed August 31, 2009

After staying at a b&b, our party of 10 (5 couples) proceeded to Carmel Valley Ranch for tennis (we played 3 times) and general vacation fun. The service is AMAZING! Due to the Station Fire which was encroaching on our home, we contacted guest services to arrange a checkout a day early and they accommodated our request that same morning. We appreciated not having to pay for our last night's lodging. Dining at the resort was VERY pricey. The 3-course meal was $65 and you could not order a la carte; the food was delicious, however, and the service excellent. The 810 sq. ft. room was terrific, with a large bathroom (double sinks, large shower, separate jetted tub, separate w/c, and large walk-in closet), balcony with table and chairs overlooking the acres of property, including the golf course and rolling hills. The tennis center was wonderful and Clark, one of the pros, was particularly helpful, filling in when we needed a 4th player for doubles. He was friendly, engaging, and gave great tips on improving our game. Overall, this was a great experience. The proximity to Carmel and Monterey was perfect and the room and grounds were beautiful.
The only reason I didn't give this resort a '5'... After staying at a B&B which included a full breakfast, wine, cheese and appetizers at 5 pm, and dessert between 8-9:30 pm, we were put off by the 'honor bar' price list in our semi-stocked bar area. Prices were high and although the room rate here was the same as our B&B, no extras were included. We would have appreciated having a microwave, plates and flatware, and a few more glasses in the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank 2xntrik
Marin County, CA
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and bringing our seven-month old baby with us. I wanted to stay in a high-end resort in Carmel. After researching online, I decided the best option seemed to be the Carmel Valley Ranch, although many reviews indicated it probably wouldn't be a five star resort. HERE'S THE DEAL. It is not what I expected: it was not an all-in-one resort where you walk out your door and see other people lounging by the pool or playing tennis, etc. The accommodations are more like condos in a neighborhood and then you either walk on the sidewalk or drive your car to where you want to go within the resort grounds. There are some rooms close to the lobby but these, too, have the look & feel of condos, That said, the "neighborhood" or grounds are surrounded by beautiful hills and it has a very peaceful relaxing feel. We stayed in a suite which was pretty (tho not five star luxury) and it was huge, and we loved having lots of space for our baby to play and a separate room for her to sleep. The view from our room was beautiful - of the golf course and surrounding hills. The tennis and fitness center is located in a completely separate part of the grounds from the rest of the resort, so you'd either drive there or have the hotel shuttle you there - a quick 5 or 7 minutes. It's really pretty. The fitness center is fairly basic (5 nautilus machines, free weights although no bench, and two treadmills), but it served my needs. Re: food...we ordered room service for dinner and breakfast and the food was excellent. Finally, we drove to downtown Carmel both days (about 15 minutes) and the weather was much better at CMV Ranch (sunny & warm versus cool & foggy by the beach). In sum, although I had been looking to be spoiled in plush resort-like place in Carmel, which is not what we found, I truly enjoyed the relaxing peaceful getaway we experienced at the Carmel Valley Ranch.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Not at all what it advertised on their website. They must have enhanced their pictures. Old and worn down. The 70's shower and tub are worn out. The steam shower broken. The carpet is old, stained and smells of mildew. Worn furniture. Bed okay, nothing to write home about. Television is fuzzy... as if they use a shirt hanger as the attena. You may need to pull your luggage up a steep hill with no assistance. We are very dissapointed. One plus... the $25.00 mandatory cost per night for internet works well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MCOELHO
LOUYISVILLE KY
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I arrived on a Friday afternoon around 1pm. I asked about getting lunch and they said the kitchen was closed and there was a poolside cookout with nothihng I would eat. The same was true with the Tennis center overpriced snack bar. This was also true on Saturday lunch.

The staff was excellent. The accomadtaions not so. The rooms were shabby and need to be redone. Everything is spread out so you have to drive and they provide golf cart shuttle service. When I checked into my room I looked for ice , if the housekeeper was not there to show me where it was I would not have found it as there was no signage.
There is a $25.00 resort fee added to the room charge for what. When I went to checkl out and asked for a comment card I was told there was not one available but I would be e mailed a survery. This did not happen. They were definitley not a first class resort. I checked into playing golf., I was told $175.00 for hotel guests plus $70.00 to rent clubs and $15.00 to rennt shoes. I passed on that rip off. There was no spa but in room service were offered

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank TEDSPARTY
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch for 3 days for business. The resort property is breathtakingly beautiful--think cool, crisp air, huge golf courses, roaming wild turkeys, and plenty of amenities. Carmel Valley Ranch is perfect for a relaxing getaway, away from the stresses of daily life.

For that reason, Carmel Valley Ranch is NOT ideal for business travel. They are not up-to-date with modern technology. I was here for a 3-day conference, and on many occasions was inconvenienced by non-working wireless Internet in the meeting rooms and at my lodge. Also inconvenient was having to call front desk to dispatch a shuttle to go back and forth from my lodge to the meeting room (yes, the property is that big)! Lastly, they do not have the sensor-based minibars, so housekeeping has to manually take inventory so the total amount of my bill was not available at the time of check out. They also did not have a fax machine to fax the final bill, so I had to wait to submit my business expenses.

Overall, I cannot recommend Carmel Valley Ranch for business purposes, but would highly recommend for personal travel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Just got back and spent the last two nights at Carmel Valley Ranch. Loved the location in the Valley. It was away from the congestion, had great views and peaceful atmosphere.

We had a room that had not been updated and while it did look a little dated, we still found it great for our purposes but we did experience some problems which I"ve detailed below.

When we arrived, we were told that the room they had assigned us was near a hot tub but that it didn't work. When we got to the room, we called down to see if they could move us to another room since we would have loved having the tub almost outside our door but were told that there were no other rooms of our type available. We could walk to a tub that was about 2 minutes away but given the cool nights, we would have loved to been closer.

When we returned on the afternoon of our first day, the room had not been cleaned which was surprising. I called down and they said they would send someone up right away...they did come while we were at the pool/workout area of the resort. I also noted that there were some holes in the screen to the balcony and they replaced it. It seemed to me that they would have caught that on a routine maintenance check.

We wanted to watch a movie the first night but it is one of the older systems that is not on demand so it wasn't available that night until much later. We did end up getting to see it the second night when we wanted.

The suite was a nice size...large living area a pull out sofa/chairs/table and chairs/fridge/bar. The bedroom was very large with a fireplace and a nice size bathroom with toilet room. Fan was very loud and the last morning the toilet didn't work properly but then somehow fixed itself! It wouldn't flush properly and someone was going to come up and fix it but then a few minutes later it flushed all by itself!

We never used the pool at the main lodge area but the one by the tennis/fitness center was lovely and had a cafe right there for drinks and food.

Overall, a nice place to stay but I think management might have some issues...the things that were problematic, while somewhat minor, wouldn't have happened at a well run resort. When we called to report that the unit hadn't been cleaned or that the toilet didn't work, we got a lot "sorry for the inconvenience, we'll send someone up right away" but no one sounded surprised to hear that the room hadn't been cleaned, the screen had holes or that the toilet didn't flush. Nor did the hot tub issue seem to bother them.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kathyPittsburghPA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn
Carmel Mission Inn
#8 of 25 in Carmel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,625 reviews

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!