“Watercolor Workshop”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Watercolor Workshop”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The River Ranch site was the location of this three day watercolor workshop with renown artist Nancy Collins. The location was beautiful, just off the family pool area, near the Cafe. All the participants learned so much in this hands on session,completing a beautiful Bird of Paradise in tropical colors and lush greenery. Carmel Valley Ranch is more than a golf course and lodging, it is a great get a way for families and it offers a wide variety of activities such as this watercolor workshop. Would I do it again? Most certainly. Enjoyed it so much.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Rose - we are delighted that you enjoyed our recent Watercolor Workshop! We hope to offer more of these throughout the year and look forward to welcoming you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Really beautiful property with so much to explore. Two pool areas, great golf course and hiking. Rooms are large and extremely comfortable. Most have large deck areas with spectacular valley views. We enjoyed the evening s'mores at the firepit. Beds and linens were very comfortable. The feel is a winning combination of relaxed casualness and country sophistication. Stayed here twice over a one month period, and the one area which prevents me from providing 5 stars was the service at the restaurant. It was extremely poor and amateurish on both occasions - so obviously not isolated incidents. At a resort such as this, staff should be a bit more polished and astute.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Frankie - thank you for your review. Your choice of description (relaxed casualness and country sophistication) is spot on and it is encouraging to know that we have communicated that well. I do regret that your restaurant experiences fell short, and please know that our Food & Beverage team will take your comments to heart and focus on making that better. Thank you again and we look forward to your return to the resort. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Danville, California
Reviewed May 14, 2014

In my opinion, Carmel Valley and Carmel By The Sea should be in separate categories. There is a huge difference between the two, both in terms of climate, and expectations.

Carmel Valley Ranch is an outstaning property. It is oriented around families, and you don't have to leave if you don't want to. The restaurant is passable, though barely, but the property and pools are outstanding. Bring the kids and enjoy smore's by the pool!

Room Tip: As for one of the corner rooms with a wrap-around deck for the best view and maximum privacy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear David - thank you for your observation! You are absolutely correct in that Carmel Valley enjoys a fantastic climate (300 days of sunshine) and there is so much to do at the resort, you really do not have to leave at all. If you do choose to do so, Carmel by the Sea is a short 10 minute drive to the coast. I apologize that it seems your dining experience was not up to par, and please know that I will ensure your comments get to our Food and Beverage team. They are genuine and caring and I know will do all they can to improve. Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you and your family back soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The 500acres meant that we never felt cramped in the four days we were there...the weather could have been better, but the children,eight and five, had a marvellous day in the pool! We adults had a massage, (hot rock) and felt completely relaxed.
Perhaps not a place for the disabled or the elderly, it is perfect for families.

Room Tip: The rooms are all good....
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Mary - thank you kindly for your review. Sounds like you had a lovely visit in April over Spring Break, and we are thrilled that you were able to create some wonderful family memories here. Thank you for noticing how spacious the resort is, suites included. You mentioned that might prove challenging for some, but please know that this is truly a playground for ALL ages and guests! We offer shuttles anywhere you might wish to explore on our 500 acres, including door to door service right to your suite. We hope to become a family tradition for you and look forward to welcoming you back. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Scotland, UK
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Check-in was very slow but the Fine Hotel & Resorts benefits were fully explained.

Staff at the resort were friendly.

Food in the restaurant was of a good standard.

Room service food was disappointing in quality although was hot when delivered (quite an achievement given how spread-out the hotel grounds are!).

I was offered an upgrade as part of the FHR programme but they sensibly highlighted that the view from my existing room was probably better and they let me view both of them and decide.

The internet access was ATROCIOUS. The connection kept dropping, barely reaching one bar in my room. I called the front desk twice about this and they promised to try and address it, but it did not improve. I raised this at check-out, in particular with reference to internet acces being a key part of the resort fee, but they just said I should have mentioned it at the time - I pointed out that I had done so but they made no further comment.

Given the price paid I'm afraid I wouldn't be rushing to come back here despite the lovely grounds and views.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
MelanieCooke, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Alan - thank you for your review and I am truly sorry that the internet access was not to standard and clearly made your stay less than expected. And equally importantly to the issue itself, is for us to make great effort to ensure it is repaired, and for that I am truly sorry. Thank you for pointing out our friendly staff and the efforts they made to ensure you were happy with the location and view of your suite. I do regret that we did not leave you with the wonderful impression and memories that most of our guests take away. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit with us further, and may be reached at 831-626-2548. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
toddwack_1
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Friendly service crom start to finish. We stayed in 251 and the view was great. Room was always clean. Bathrooms are really nice. Wife did hilltop yoga everyday. The food in the lodge was excellent. Vegetables extremely fresh. Wish the concierge knew a little more about kayaking than a google search, which i had already done. Great place and will go back.

Stayed May 2014
familybythesea, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to The Ranch. Because there is so much to do right here on property, I fear that kayaking took 'second fiddle' and I do apologize for that. As you know, we are only a short 10 minute drive to Monterey Bay where kayaking is a popular sport. We promise to do better next time! Thank you again for staying with us. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Gorgeous resort which was frankly the highlight of our drive up Big Sur. We had 2 kids in tow and the unit was a perfect size with an incredibly luxurious feel to it. It's not cheap but you really do get what you pay for. The s'mores and dinner were both fantastic on our evening arrival but the real treats revealed themselves the following day. My wife and daughter did the bee experience, which got rave reviews, whilst my son and I explored the child's pool area at the bottom of the resort. It's an area that is undersold by the ranch for some reason, but it really is a gorgeous spot, the swimming with him and then the family hot dogs by the fire (even though it was a sweltering day) is a days memory that will never leave me.

I have decided to only post reviews when places really blow me away and offer something that I think should be shared, Carmel Valley Ranch certainly exceeded that benchmark by some distance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wow - we are truly honored that you chose to review The Ranch! It is apparent that you were able to create lifetime memories on your recent visit here, and you have touched on, and highlighted the success of, our most important endeavor for our resort. We hope to welcome you and your family here again. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#20 of 25 in Carmel
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!