“I could stay there for a week - Fabulous all around”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California
“I could stay there for a week - Fabulous all around”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I almost don't want to review this place to keep it a secret! Once you drive through the gates you feel like on a far away retreat. Why did I know know about this place?

You might wonder why you would not stay by the ocean if you go to Carmel, and that's fair. But Carmel Valley Ranch is just a little paradise, tucked away, with natural beauty and peace.

The "rooms" are little condos that are super modern inside - beautifully decorated with very high ceilings. We had a fire place and balcony; and a HUGE bathroom. All products are amazing - loved the soap and body lotion. Bed was good, mattress not the best but good.

To get from your "room" to the main area you can walk or take golf carts. It was cold, so we only walked a few times but in the summer it would be heaven to walk. And there are trails and a yoga platform one could walk to (did not see it).

The gym is lovely with a yoga room that has bolsters, blocks, straps..beautiful. There are two pools in two areas - one for families and one for adults only. The most beautiful hot tub I have ever seen - lipless. Looking over the trees and valley.

The restaurant was top notch for dinner. They light the trees and we sat by the window - it looked magical.

Only disappointment was breakfast. They have a small selection and must have had the B crew on. It took a while to get cuttlery and all condiments after getting our food; stuff was missing and it was not a good experience; especially for the price. But that was the only downside. Lunch actually looked good.

So, if you want a relaxed place away from it all, with top notch service (Ritz Carlton Tahoe, take note). This is the place. Everybody was super friendly and helpful. Very organized place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great resort. Amazing staff. Pretty expensive, but worth it. Oh, and free snacks, fruit, and water bottles waiting for you in your suite.

A couple minor things... The living room was a bit dark. I checked for any lights I missed or bulbs that may be out, but they were all on. Would be great to add a little more light (brighter bulbs?). Dim hotel rooms always feel sort of dirty to me, like they're hiding something.

They allow dogs, but their policy is to charge a $100 fee per stay (no matter how many nights you stay). Since I usually travel on weekends with only one or two night stays, that's very steep. HOWEVER, they did not end up charging me the pet fee, which is awesome. I'd be hesitant to go back for another one or two night stay though, not knowing if I will end up paying $100 to bring my dog.

Also, I could hear footsteps pretty well from next door (heels on wood floors), but that only lasted a short time and then I didn't hear the neighbors again at all. May have been the cleaning staff actually, not sure if anyone was actually staying next door. Seemed like it could possibly be loud though if you get stuck next to bad neighbors.

Like I said, those are all minor issues. Overall it's still 5 stars from me. Great place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked this hotel based on good feedback from Tripadvisor and it didn't disappoint.
Great experience. Clean, lovely and quiet suites. We were lucky to have the pool/hot tub area to ourselves both nights and it was magical.
All the staff are so polite and helpful. Got a great tip from the receptionist on where to eat on our daytrip to Big Sur - we were so grateful for that.
Would love to come back and use all the facilities this place has to offer.

Oakland, California
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here for the weekend with my boyfriend.We ate at the resturant in the Lodge and dinner was wonderful. Our server Antonio was attentive and new exactly what to reccomend on the menu. I really liked that the resturant manager Dave walked through the resturant several times making sure all the guests were taken care of. If you like to golf, then this is the place to golf. The greens were so beautiful and very well kept. Terry and Brant are golf experts. They made sure that the golf cart was loaded up with everything that I needed and they even gave me a few helpful tips. The Clubhouse Bar was pretty awsome. I will say that Roman the bartender can pour a really good Belvedere Martini. Everyone was so nice and helpful. From the moment we checked it to the moment we checked out.

Burlingame, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Carmel Valley Ranch is in a lovely setting, although VERY far removed from restaurants, bars and the beach. They sort of have you by the neck, if you have a drink anyway, since the road is winding and narrow up from the main road, should you venture out. We stayed 2 nights and had a room overlooking the vineyard and the golf course. Room had all kinds of quirks, with lights and noises, although large and comfortable. Had dinner there one night. I would call it fair and limited as far as choices for non meat eaters. Drinks are expensive too. Best part was outdoor roasting of s'mores. Pool and hot tub were well used by noisy 20-30 somethings and we are not spa people. I would stay in town at one of the lovely B & B's and not pay the resort tax!

2 Thank travelagentreplies
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I regret that The Ranch did not meet your expectations. You are correct in that we are located 6 miles from Carmel, in Carmel Valley. This location has great benefit as we enjoy 300 days of sunshine on nearly 500 acres. Because we are a full service destination resort, guests generally remain on property for the duration of their stay and choose to enjoy our many activities. Our offerings include something for all ages and travelers including our Signature Bee Experience, daily hikes, strolls through our vineyard, organic garden and salt farm, yoga and fitness classes, golf, tennis, Spa Aiyana, Ranch Hands Kids Camp, 2 outdoor heated salt water pools, splash zone, hot tubs and as you mentioned – s’mores every night by the fire! I am sorry that your suite had ‘quirks’ and that your dining experience did not offer you enough choice, and would love to speak with you personally about that as Chef Wood aims to provide a ‘garden to table’ experience. Thank you again and please feel free to reach out to me personally to chat further. My number is (831) 626-2548. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue
Tiburon
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Located an easy 15 - 20 mins. drive from Carmel proper the Carmel Valley Ranch has the best of both worlds for a "week or weekend get away". Fabulous rolling hills & dales lead you into the property tucked away so as to nearly blend with it's surroundings. Note groups of turkey, small herds of deer and definitely visit the Bee Aviary while there.
Welcoming staff greet your car escorting you to the beautiful, modern Lodge for registration & a daily activities calendar. A well stocked gift shop, charming alcoves (to curl up in, visit or read, many with fireplaces) and the Ranch restaurant are located here too. A Breakfast Buffet is a good value with a large selection to choose from. However, Eggs Benedict are not a good selection for a buffet, becoming overcooked with meat & muffin too tough to even cut.
Sitting between the Spa & Lodge are the 24 hr. pool & spacious hot tub all surrounded by lounge chairs & chaises with a number of fire pits nearby, especially fun when S'mores are served in the evening. 2 Fitness Centers, a smaller one at the Spa and larger one near the entrance to the property, are beautifully appointed, clean and with excellent equipment.
Bed rooms are spacious, beautifully appointed in a sleek, contemporary style with multiple bed pillows, down duvets, radios, flat screen TV & fireplaces. Bath rooms have showers & tubs, guest robes, wonderful bath amenities & hairdryers. Complimentary water bottles, snacks & fruit are provided and a mini refrigerator is perfect for the picnic items we picked up at the nearby Safeway.

Room Tip: Corner room 213 offered a wrap around balcony, a spacious living room with 2nd fireplace & flat...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank artess1
San Francisco
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here for a professional meeting--this is a wonderful spot to host an off-site meeting. The property is immaculate; the beds very comfortable, in large suites with fireplaces and views. The food is excellent and the staff very welcoming. To improve the ecofriendliness of the rooms, the owners installed central key-controlled power. This is great but the new light switches are not user friendly--many in my group (me included) could not fully understand how they worked. My lovely room had low water flow to the sink and inadequate hot water. And the alarm clock went off in the middle of the night, of someone else's doing. But the rooms had plush robes and lots of space to unwind in. This is a great location for a truly peaceful and uplifting getaway. Hope the hotel will resolve the glitches that detracted from an otherwise perfect stay. And that pumpkin soup at the clubhouse was to die for!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank aerotraveller
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and have taken the time to share some of the wonderful aspects and features of the resort. Having said that, I do sincerely apologize for the ‘glitches’ you indicated. While our green initiatives (the key controlled power) are intended to be positive contributions, if they fail to work properly or cannot be understood and operated, the positive can actually turn to frustration for our guests. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn
Carmel Mission Inn
#8 of 25 in Carmel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!