“Great escape for entire family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carmel Valley Ranch

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
New York City, New York
“Great escape for entire family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I took our two kids and my inlaws for a three-day stay. The ranch is located on a beautiful piece of property with enough to keep everyone busy for three days. We took advantage of hiking on the property and offsite, visited with some bees at the ranch (very fun for the kids) and played a lot of tennis. The instructors at the tennis facility were great with adults and kids and made the hour pass so quickly. A few issues: service was slow at the restaurant and for room service. Also, we had to keep asking for items at the restaurant (salt/pepper/ketchup/syrup). These were things that should have just been given to us automatically but we had to ask at every meal over and over and over again. And please add some qtips to your rom offerings! I don't even think to pack them anymore since hotels always have them.

• 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Los Altos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We've been here twice now, and this place is exactly what I love for a mini trip - it's tranquil, isolated, and has some amazing service. The place is situated within a giant, gated community with both private homes and the ranch, and it really feels like you've left the troubles of home behind. It's quiet, you have areas for certain types of families (i.e. with young kids, or couples, or with dogs), and the staff is top notch - every single person we've ever interacted with, whether it's turn down service, room service, folks at the Lodge, the bellmen - all phenomenal. The staff really works to make your visit as uninterrupted and comfortable as possible. The spa is top notch (have had two massages there) and plenty of golf for those who are into it.

Case in point - we were recently housed in the area where they usually place folks with dogs (this is the 300+ room numbers), and we were next to a room where the owners had clearly left their dog in the room and gone out somewhere. The dog was howling and very unhappy. It was really noisy, so we requested a room change. Within 30 minutes we were moved, no questions asked, and a bellman came to help us move our luggage.

The menu for room service is limited but really delicious - everything from the breakfast sandwiches with farm fresh eggs, to the kids meals that include grilled cheese sandwiches and fries.

The rooms have warm fireplaces, are clean, and tastefully decorated. There aren't sweeping views necessarily, but you can usually see the hill sides, golf course, or tree tops.

Pros: Clean, excellent service, dog friendly, isolated, in room fireplaces
Cons: Because they're super dog friendly, and they group you according to your family type, you can expect some noise. Can be rather pricey if you book last minute.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Loved the property, hotel amenities and swimming. Thought the kids center could use some upgrading (more toys) but the sitters were lovely and the programming and activities for kids and families is great! The kids had a fabulous time. Terrific games in the hotel for them and food.

Northeast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

If you're heading to Carmel and want an oceanview room, this is not the place. However, if you're looking for a relaxing getaway with activities, hiking trails and more ... this is a definite contender! We loved the fact that our labrador was welcome, although given the wildlife that roam the property, he definitely couldn't roam free! We walked by turkey buzzards, stray cats and deer alike! All from less than 5-10 feet away!

The rooms were spacious -- they are definitely more like condos, than "regular" hotel rooms. While my husband loved the large, open spaces -- I thought it was more corporate and less intimate than other hotel rooms that I've stayed at in the past. It definitely felt like it was geared towards a business trip. There was a large meeting space/living room when you walked in, and the bedroom could be closed off from that. I was disappointed that our fireplace was in the corner of the bedroom -- not in the living room (but I saw that in other rooms, the fireplace was in the living room). So, I guess we didn't get the best layout. In order to get the intimate feel of the fireplace, you had to drag chairs next to it in the bedroom. Not the coziest, I have to say.

I was also disappointed that our "premium view" was staring directly into trees, while hearing the noise of the cars come up the driveway. I didn't think it sufficed as a premium view, by any means. While our lab was welcome, they obviously don't plan for larger dogs. Their provided pet bed was a ratty, quite worn small bed -- fit for a 10-20 pound dog, not a 80 pound lab! The bed was completely useless to our dog, and it actually was a little gross to have in the room as it was definitely worn and ratty.

I thought it definitely lacked a cozy, intimate, romantic feel -- my husband loved it (he probably would have given it a 4 star rating)! He loved the guided hiking trail, the golf course and the room (as he loves open, large spaces). He agreed with me on that the placement of the fireplace was terrible, but he enjoyed our experience much more than I did.

Not to say that this is a bad place -- please don't get me wrong! I just love hotels that don't feel like a corporate/business getaway. The other thing lacking was a TV in the bar area -- we wanted to watch the World Series in the bar, but couldn't, due to the lack of TVs. So, we ordered room service -- which was good, service was great ... it took a long time .... but it was because everyone else was ordering room service to watch the Series!!

All in all, the trip was enjoyable. Would I go back? To Carmel, definitely. To CVR .... probably not. I think I would enjoy trying out Pebble Beach, or another resort closer to the ocean. All in all, I think that it was just ok. I had to give it a lower rating, because even though I plan on visiting the Carmel area quite a bit more, I strongly feel that I would never choose CVR as my resort of choice again. Even if I had family in the area or friends come, I really feel that I would choose a different resort. To each his own, I guess!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnyoneUpforACK
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your review – it made me smile! I agree that Carmel Valley Ranch, much like the wonderful land of OZ, provides a playground for all to enjoy (including nature’s creatures), and our many activities, classes and experiences allow our guests to learn something along the way as well. I regret that you did not enjoy the spaciousness of your suite, and wanted to mention that our Santa Lucia Suites may have been more to your preference. These suites are 650 square feet, therefore providing a cozy and intimate setting, yet also provide you the favored amenities of our larger suites – the private balcony, fireplace (closer to the chairs), and a quiet and romantic Bluff location. Your feedback regarding a place to catch the World Series – well taken – and our new Clubhouse will feature six televisions for guests to enjoy their favorite sport. I truly regret that your lab did not receive the warm welcome with the anticipation (of size and breed) that we traditionally extend. We love animals, and this was clearly a lack of attention to detail on our part. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. While I note you do not feel you would return, should your travels bring you down the yellow brick road again, we would love the opportunity to welcome you back. Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Our family stayed here after Christmas and we loved it. It is a beautiful property and feels expansive; from the guarded entrance to the pools/activity centers. I was surprised at how many families were here. There are tons of activities for adults and kids. The fitness classes are free, which is a really nice option. I really liked the tree swings and afternoon S'mores. The restaurant is great. It's a bit pricey but the food was fantastic. The room are very nice. Keurig coffee makers, bath/shower combo, comfy beds, rustic outdoor feel. We even saw turkeys on the property in the morning. We will definitely be back!

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank patriotic
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Slide into the infinity hot tub,sip your cider ,look down at the vineyard,look up at the old Oak trees,think how lucky u are!What a beautiful place!

We r a family of four & the king suite we took was big enough ,beautiful, and so so clean!

The food (room service & restaurant)was great!
The service all over the facility was wonderful and friendly.(Thank u Zach!)
(with one expiation: the hostess in the restaurant on xmas day was "less then nice",but who cares?).

A real jewel in the heart of beautiful Carmel area.

Room Tip: Book a corner suite.
2 Thank sigalitfs s
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

It's not really a hotel, it's more like condos with a main lodge. It was a very festive place to spend the holidays. The staff was amazingly friendly, the restaurant and bar are great and there are plenty of things to do. It is not the cheapest place to stay in Carmel, but it was well worth the price. There was a fireplace in both the living area and the bedroom. All in all the rooms are very cozy.

Room Tip: Try and get at least a ranch suite or upgrade to the garland suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley
4.5 of 5 stars 207 reviews

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!