“Carmel”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Chicago, Illinois
“Carmel”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel is nice! Out of the way, about 15 min to town. Went in late May, lots of fog! Not too warm either. Property is nice! Lots of moths everywhere! Saw deer and turkey around the hotel. Short walk to lobby and pools (adult pool), hiking trail was nice. Little things about this place I found not great (due to the price). Never got more shampoo or conditioner brought to our room. Moths are everywhere and get in when you open the doors. When we got there they upgraded our room.... to a room with a view of another building. No view of the property. Also when we booked said breakfast for 2 each day. They don't really do that, instead you get a credit to use at the restaurant each day (the credit was usually enough to cover breakfast for 2). Other than those little things.... this place is nice!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 4girlsandamom
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate you pointing out the little things. You had a number of great suggestions and our staff always appreciates the feedback. We look forward to making your next stay flawless! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 31, 2012

It was a beautiful room affording great views of the valley with a fireplace and separate living room. My husband and our baby stayed in one room with my mother in the same room next door...perfect. Their swimming pool is quiet, relaxing and pretty. (pool next to dining room) You need to drive to your room as the resort is sprawling but on the way up you'll see deer grazing.

I had the best burger at the pool (family pool) which I ate day and night. A convenient drive in to Carmel village for dinner. It was a lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bordeaux&castles
Thank you for your review highlighting the many special facets of the The Ranch. Our all-suite property allows families to enjoy each other’s company without being too cramped and we thank you for your feedback! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Most hotels are put to the test during a high occupancy 3 day weekend. Carmel Valley Ranch soared during our Memorial Day weekend visit. Any small problem was immediately handled with great courtesy. We were truly amazed that when asked if anything could be done to cover the small skylights where my 2 kids (age 15 & 20) were sleeping, someone actually went on the roof to cover them!!! Bottled water and snacks, at no charge, were in the room when we arrived. The management/ownership certainly aimed to please.
As a first time visitor, I was impressed with the great ambiance in the lobby--the new decor, the fireplace, the Illy coffee and cake, the soft music, the view of the magnificent trees and sleek pool area through the large glass windows. The swing pictured in the resort's logo is real and a metaphor for the carefree way one feels walking around the lush grounds and trails. We even saw deer near our room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sylvia L
Thank you for your awesome review! We like to go the extra mile for guests and really appreciate the positive feedback. Thanks also for your comments regarding our logo. We worked hard to make sure it was truly representative of the property. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stay at hotels at least monthly and have for a few years. From beginning to end, this resort impressed me beyond all others. When you arrive you are greeted at the security gate. After they confirm you are a guest, you are passed through and they call up to the front desk to announce your arrival. Every single person for my entire three night stay went above and beyond to be sure that there was nothing else they could do to make my stay better. The rooms are arranged almost condo style. In sets of four-plexes.

The rooms themselves are suites. You walk into a very nice living room with a couch, chairs, desk, flat screen tv, coffee service and snack pack. (Snack pack was Sun Chips, granola bars and apples. I do not believe this is restocked during the stay.) There is also bottled water that is free of charge and restocked daily. The bathroom was beautiful. Large tub and separate large shower. Amenities are awesome and restocked every couple of days. Two bottles of water in the bathroom as well and are restocked daily. Nice robes are provided. My bedroom had two full beds. Very comfortable with reading lights at each side of both headboards. The bedrooms have electric start fireplaces and flat screen tvs. (My fireplace started right up. I set it to turn off after 30 minutes, but that didn’t seem to function correctly.) The bed was very comfortable. Silly as it sounds, one of my favorite things was the throw blanket at the bottom of the bed. It screams naps time! Wonderful decks with furniture to sit on provide great views right off the bedrooms.

The resort will shuttle you from different areas of the resort. The drivers arrived quickly and were very friendly. Although I didn’t eat at the restaurant, all of our meals for the three days were catered by the resort. The food was absolutely incredible!! So hard not to over eat! Catering staff was terrific. They turn on fire places outside around the main building at night. It was great to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine fireside. They have smore time in the evenings as well. How fun is that?!

Would I go back? I sure hope so!

Oh...to be fair. It was oakworm season. I guess this happens in the area every few years. There were caterpillar type critters ALL OVER! The staff worked very hard to keep them at bay, but the resort is surrounded by oak trees. Not a big deal really.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lovingsonoma
Thank you for your spectacular and extremely thorough review! It’s great to know that our staff is scoring high marks with a seasoned traveler like yourself. We look forward to your next stay. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management
Washington DC
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We planned to spend a few days at Carmel Valley Ranch as part of a trip from LA to San Francisco. We were looking forward to a few days of relaxing and playing golf. The photos on the hotel website are beautiful and we were expecting a laid experience at a place with a little bit of luxury but not too fussy.

Our stay started out great. They had champagne and strawberries waiting for us in recognition of our wedding anniversary. Thank you! Our room was nice - but nothing special. (note - the bathroom floor is stone and was freezing cold! Ordinarily this is not something that I would write about - but these are the kinds of details that you would expect to be addressed at a place of this caliber.) We played golf for 2 days and enjoyed the course. It is short (not too many par 5s) but fun and very scenic. The golf course staff were friendly and nice. I wish we could have said the same for the other guests - but they were rude and snooty. We definitely did not feel welcome and debated about playing a second day vs going to another course. Perhaps it is a generational issue (we're in our 40's and everyone else playing seemed to be retirees).

We also had an odd experience grabbing lunch after golf the first day. They were power-washing the patio and no one could be bothered to let us know when we walked in, or point out a place where we could eat without having the noise and spray interfere with our lunch, etc. I understand these things happen and maintenance is a part of the day-to-day - but it just felt weird. We moved our seat twice because we didn't know what was happening, where they were going to wash next, etc. A simple "welcome, glad you're here, you may want to sit down by the pool until we are finished cleaning the patio" would have been sufficient.

Maybe we'd come back to play the course, but I don't think we'd return to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vacagirl
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you for your review. At Carmel Valley Ranch we take guest satisfaction very seriously. Please accept my sincere apologies about the pressure washing. The staff should have informed you of what was happening. We usually alert our guests to routine maintenance on the property, particularly if they will be affected by our actions. This clearly did not happen in this case and I apologize. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with our team here at The Ranch. We look forward to making your next stay flawless.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I sadly left on Tuesday morning after a lovely weekend of hiking, eating, hiking, eating, bee keeping, exercise classes, eating, and more hiking…and ok, eating more s’mores than we should have!

Our final day summed up our trip…a beautiful hike recommended to us by your concierge, with a delicious picnic lunch also recommended by your team, a massage with Bridget (that will become my new benchmark for massages), a fabulous dinner poolside plus s’mores topped off with a soak in the infinity hot tub…with the grand finale sitting by the fire wrapped up in a towel.  I fell asleep there…and I sometimes can’t fall asleep in my own bed!

Our bag was lost courtesy of Delta and your team showed such concern and empathy.  They helped us find a place where we could shop (other than at an expensive Carmel boutique) and asked us each time they saw us if we had received our bag.

The property is incredibly special and you keep your guests well hidden so we felt like we had the run of the place…even on a very busy weekend.

We want to come back and hope we can do that soon!   Please thank your team – reception, concierge, housekeeping, servers, hosts, bartenders and your very helpful valet/bell staff who helped us back to our room after too many s’mores.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beaner02
Tulsa
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch in April and had a wonderful time. The king suites are spacious with amazing views if the valley. I loved the feel of this property: lots of trails to roam, deer grazing throughout the property, and wild turkeys walking around.
The restaurant and pool area are nicely appointed and everything was good that I had in the restaurant. Service was top knotch, unobtrusive yet attentive.
We had the opportunity to take a beekeeping workshop on site and found it to be one of the highlights of the trip. I loved getting an understanding of the bee world and the opportunity to interact with the hives, in full beekeeping attire! I would recommend this resort to anyone in the Carmel area who wants a little more solitude for their hotel stay. It's about 10-15 minutes drive to Carmel by the sea, so close enough to enjoy the beach. But far enough removed to really enjoy the serenity and nature that the valley has to offer.

Room Tip: This is a family friendly resort, so expect to see some kids around. Resort is dog friendly. :-)