“Squirrels/Poor Service”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the resort in early April 2012. The room was very large and well appointed but didn't appear particularly clean (cobwebs near bathtub). Although the property was very pretty, the restaurant was disappointing and service was poor. Both nights of our stay, we were awakened in the middle of the night with what sounded to be a squirrel actually in the ceiling of our room. I'm not a very light sleeper, but sleeping was quite difficult. When the issue was brought up with a member of management, they offered us $100 total off our $500/night rate. Certainly, for the price paid, a decent night sleep is expected. We were quite disappointed and would not recommend the resort. Also, tons of kids, so if you're looking for a romantic retreat, this is not it.

16  Thank connors_mom_12
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Bair - I am so sorry that your experience was not what you planned. I can see this was intended to be a romantic getaway for you and the combination of Spring Break in the area, and one of our nature friends choosing to “bunk in” with you made this a less than romantic trip. As a parent myself, I can fully empathize with the expectations of a special getaway planned to relax and rejuvenate, which is why your post and experience here resonates so much. Our goal at The Ranch is to provide touchstones throughout our 500 acres that will provide you opportunities to share special moments together. From the spaciousness of our suites with fireplaces and balconies, to our infinity hot tub overlooking the vineyard, to our couples massage suite at Spa Aiyana – all have been intended to exceed your expectations for a romantic getaway. It is obvious that this did not happen for you during your recent stay and for that I truly apologize. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally about your experience here. It is very important to us that you feel resolution over your concerns and that you know that we truly care about what has occurred. Please let me know if there is a convenient time for me to call you, and the best number to do so. Thank you again, and my sincerest apologies. I look forward to speaking with you. Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed April 20, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at Carmel Valley Ranch on business. I was struck by how friendly, well run, well kept and beautiful the room and facilities were. I should correct my last statement - even the smallest accommodations are very large - suites with a living room/office, extremely large elegant bathroom with top shelf shampoos, lotions, toiletries, bathrobes and slippers.

Although it maintains a casual atmosphere, everyone with whom I came in contact was warm, friendly and went out of their way to help - from taking you to your room in a golf cart, to carrying purchased items to your room for you, and in my case, to picking me up at 4:00 AM for an early morning flight.

Although I don't play golf, I'm told the golf course is first rate and the views from the course are amazing.

I had the opportunity to use the restaurant which offers local, fresh and freshly prepared meals, and extensive wine list and the ability to make smores outside on the patio for kids and adults alike.

Although I didn't have the opportunity to use the pools or spa facilities, they appeared to be spotless and well maintained with very comfortable and ample furnishings around the pool.

I hope to be able to return with my wife and I wouldn't hesitate to bring young children. The location is great for day trips yet if you want to sit and relax for a few days, this is the place to do it.

Room Tip: Realize the property is very large and if you don't have a car you may want to stay in the suite...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NMM1
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to write this fantastic review. Your words are a great testament to how accommodating The Ranch is for business as well as leisure travel. Come see us again soon for a leisure stay! Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed April 15, 2012

stayed here for 2 nights for a getaway with my husband. We found it relaxing and lovely. It was a perfect getaway. If you don't want to, you don't have to leave the property. Everything is there...hiking trails, golf, swimming pools, hot tubs, spa, fitness rooms. The rooms are huge...more like small apartments. We loved the bee experience activity where we got to don beekeeper suits and learn all about the bee colonies on the property. We will be back.

Oh, family friendly too for those who have kids...family friendly pool vs. adult pool. Free child care. Kids activities all day long.

1  Thank mickeyjr
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about Carmel Valley Ranch. At The Ranch, we pride ourselves on the exciting array of activities we have to offer and we’re delighted that you got a chance to take advantage of the Bee Experience. It is truly a unique and fascinating endeavor. We look forward to your next visit. -Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My hubby decided to be spontaneous and booked a night's stay at Carmel Valley Ranch. It was alittle way further inland from Carmel by the Sea.
When we first reached the destination, there was a gate. Both my hubby and myself thought we were at the wrong place, but in actuality, we were at the right place.
Got to the reception area and everyone was really nice. We booked the Ranch Suite on Priceline and got a view upgrade during checkin without additional fee.
The exterior of the unit looks exactly like a townhome. Walked in and was really impressed, because it is exactly like a one bedroom apartment, just less the kitchen.
Pro:
Pet friendly
Huge bathroom
House keeping when we were away
Comfortable king bed
Amazing view of the golf course with our own private balcony
Deers running free and wild
Free parking and wifi

Cons:
Trails on the map were alittle confusing
Alittle more pricey than we thought

In any case, we will visit again, when our pockets' are fuller. :)

Room Tip: Make reservation at The Lodge Restaurant. Really good food.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your Ranch Suite. Your comments about the room highlighted a great feature of Carmel Valley Ranch and many of our guests are pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms on our all suite property. Indeed, The Ranch is all about room to play, even when you are not outside. Again, thank you for your time and we hope to see you again soon. -Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Came here with a work group and got to enjoy this fabulous venue for 5 glorious nights.

I travel a lot and have stayed in hundreds of upper end hotels and this property easily ranks in my top 5 including place in Hawaii, Paris and Tuscany.

The thing that most sets this place apart is the very large rooms with spacious sitting areas, large modern bathrooms, comfy beds (I had a king with a 2nd gas fireplace in the bedroom) and a massive deck all situated in a verdant hillside get away.

The food at this place was excellent and they have a very nice pool, golf course, fitness center and hiking trails. The staff is extremely friendly and you don't have to worry about tipping because the $25/day resort fee covers that as well as free bottled water and snacks in the room.

Their are wild turkeys roaming the property as well as a number of deer. All of them seek to be oblivious to the people on the trails or golf course. There is always a fire going near the pool and a basket full of marshmallows, graham crackers and Hershey bars so you can make some S'mores. They have a ton of lavender plants over the 500 acre property and send their "crop" off once a year to a local artisan who converts it into soap for the rooms - very nice touch.

Overall this place is very restful and with the rooms situated in 4-rooms buildings, it felt like you had a lot of privacy and space.

I'm already thinking about another visit.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms can be a bit of a hike from the pool and lodge.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank JimRiesterer
familybythesea, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Riesterer - Thank you for taking the time for this review. Your comments illustrate how the spaciousness of our 500 acres allow us to balance both the traveler here for business with our guests here on leisure. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for the latter. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Dir of Revenue

Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 days on a little side trip from San Francisco. First of all, when I called to make a reservation (less than a week from our expected arrival) - since there were no rooms of the price I was looking for, the very kind and efficient hostess offered to honor that price but we were upgraded to a King Suite. On our arrival to the Ranch, all of the staff - from the security guard up front, to the concierge, to the gentlemen in the golf carts helping us with our bags were all sincerely friendly and welcoming. The lodge itself is beautiful, clean, spacious, well lit. Felt luxurious without being at all pretentious. The room was amazing - HUGE, comfortable, awesome quick start electric fireplace, very comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, 2 TVs and spacious living room area.
The s'mores at night/bonfires were wonderful!
We tried to attend the beekeeping experience, but was limited due to the heavy rain. However, the head beekeeper gave an interesting talk which was worth hearing.
The workout facility was also beautiful.
All in all - worth every penny, and wish we could have stayed here for a week!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Went here on a ladies get-a-way for a few days to escape children, jobs and our husbands. It is beautiful. The grounds are amazing. The rooms are very nice and the wine and food at the restaurant are exceptional. The food was so good we ate every night in the hotel, which for us is rare, We shopped during the day, did wine tours and enjoyed eating and talking once the day was over at the restaurant. It is a great place to visit and we would return.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong. They are all gorgeous.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
La Playa Carmel
Carmel Mission Inn & Fuse Lounge Cafe
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!