“Check-In desk guy is unbelievable!”

Best Western Carmel's Town House Lodge
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
California
“Check-In desk guy is unbelievable!”
Reviewed January 2, 2009

Okay.....first off.

disclaimer:

Best Western (town house lodge). im giving it 4 stars, but on the hotel itself ALONE. my main gripe is about the guy at the front desk, who deserves less than 1 star.

I also hope that corporate Best Western reads this review.
__________________________________________________

For a Best Western this place isnt too shabby at ALL. i understand the decor, furniture was recently updated, and looks great btw -- clean and modern, no frilly flower patterns, odd colors, wallpaper or stereotypical 'cheap chain hotel' decor you'd expect.

bottomline, its updated -- as a lot of the past reviews suggest. i give that 4 stars, right away.

the MAIN reason i'm on here however, is because of the service. not the overall service, but the service of the front desk particularly. ONE GUY to be more precise.

i'll be honest, and i dont know if Trip Advisor will let me say this, or accept my review, but flat-out....the front desk guy is a complete moron.

my girlfriend was so annoyed with this guy, she forced me to write a review solely on him. I myself was pushed to the brink to complain (i'm pretty laid back, so if i complain, its BAD), as you will see below.

there's a few reviews that also mention and complain about this exact guy (who remains nameless, but i know its him -- no one is this moronic). not necessarily 'moronic' but just SO SO unhelpful and inconsiderate -- just unwilling to CARE.

It started when we first got there. we walk in, and theres not a person in sight (no big deal, i dont mind waiting a bit).

however, we waited nearly 3-4 mins. which in my book, is quite long for a hotel. it was so bad, one of the hispanic gardners from outside had to come in and get the guy from the back -- him noticing how long we were standing around.

so out walks the guy from this back room.....sloppily dressed....eyes half asleep.....no apology, super thick accent (he was Indian, but that is not the point of this review) no apology, nothing -- fine, again...no big deal......but this is not a great first impression.

so, hes processing my reservation, blah blah.....hes obviously not friendly as i try to make small talk. whatever.

btw, we only statyed for one night for new years eve, so i only have several encounters with this guy to base my complaint on, but thats more than enough, trust me haha.

the second encounter, was new years day. i was dehydrated like crazy, due to the amount of drinking the night before (hey, cmon...it was new years eve). so i walk over to the front office around 930 am, craving for bottled water.

the front desk guy informs me that bottled water is a dollar -- no big deal. i wanted two. I say to him, "i dont have any cash on me, can you just put this on my room tab or my card?"

he simply says "no"

i reply, "oh....do you take debit?"

"no."

i say "you cant just put this on room tab....? are you SURE?"

"no."

"well, is there ANY way i can buy this right now then?"

"no. there is a gas station around the corner from here"

the family next to me, eating breakfast (in the one table 'breakfast room' hahha) glances at me after this small exchange, and gives me the classic look of "yea buddy....i know" hahhahahaha.

so i say to the front desk guy "ok ok, thats fine...i'll walk to the gas station" and then i simply put the bottled water back.

he didnt say anything, just continued to stare back at his computer monitor. yea.....i know what you're thinking. this guys just exuding charisma and friendliness, hahhahaha.

just an hour later, my gf goes upfront to get a rubberband to tie her hair, since she apparently didnt have anything. (btw, at this point i havnt complained to my gf about this guy at ALL...so this is her experience alone, unbiased hahha).

she comes back annoyed, and goes "omg, that guy upfront is such an idiot!.........i asked him if he had a rubberband, and he quickly replied 'no'.........i then asked if he could please look around the office, and he said 'NO' again.........then he told me theres a gas station around the corner!!!!"

hahhaha, can you believe this guy?? and what kind of 'office' or front desk does not have a single rubber band??

so, about an hour later, as we were getting ready to check out, i send my gf back to the front desk to get some change for a twenty -- to tip the cleaning maids.

she comes back clearly annoyed again, and i laugh at her and say "hahha, what now??"

she goes "OMG, im going to kill this guy! he doesnt even have change for a twenty! i asked him if he could break it, and he looks at me and says 'no, i dont have enough change'"

hhahahha

she then goes "i told him are you sure you cant break a twenty? can you please look in the cash register?"

and you guessed it, he says "no, i dont have enough. but there is a gas station around the corner"

she was so mad, she came back and forced me to go to the gas station to get change, hhahahha.

SO...

finally, i go to check out about 30 mins later.

the guys nowhere to be found. i GLADLY ring the service bell on the corner nice and loud.

a full 60 seconds must've passed until this guy slowly trots back out of his room or whatever, sloppily dressed, half asleep, JUST like our first encounter.

i say to the guy "hi, just need to check out"

the only thing he ever says to me during this whole exchange btw is "what room number" and "sign here."

after he found my room, it was so awkward because it was just quiet, and he didnt say a word to me, no small talk, nothing.

he then, right in front of me.......grabs a wooden basket, and puts it OVER the service bell, as to hide it from other customers! HAH!

right in front of me this guy does this!!!!

sighhhhh, anyways.....we finally got out of there and enjoyed the rest of our time in Carmel.

now, like i said in the disclaimer, there is NOTHING wrong with this hotel other than this ONE employee (God hope hes not the manager).

i really would stay here again, but this guy has GOT to go. or at least take some classes in customer service. this guy was just clueless and completely oblivious to our minor minor needs.

thing is folks.......this is CARMEL. this type of service MIGHT be tolerated anywhere else, but you expect more from the town of Carmel, because the locals are SO nice and seem to go out of their way to accomodate tourists, since this IS a touristy city.

in conclusion: im not telling you to stay away from this hotel.....its really rather clean, new, and is in a great location -- within walking distance from everything in Carmel.

BUT please do not expect much help from the check in desk at all. this guy is just TOO lazy and uncaring. which is the exact opposite of my usual experience in Carmel.

• Liked — Decor was fresh and new.
  • Disliked — Front desk guy -- TERRIBLE.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Matt P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Malibu, California
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I am staying in this motel right now using the free DSL Internet they provide. It is a solid 3 star hotel right in the middle of the lively area of Carmel. Everything is within walking distance. The parking is free and located right in front of the rooms. Their furniture and amenities are at least 3 star quality. If I had to complain about anything here I would say that the wall heating unit is loud-but I will not complain because it keeps me warm. I cannot comment on the pool or breakfast but I will say I am very satisfied with the motel and would recommend it to anyone who wants a standard motel in the center of town.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Sacramento
Reviewed December 21, 2008

We stayed in suite #327 - it was a lovely room, clean with modern decor, overlooking the pool and away from the main street noise, we would definately stay in this room again. We love Carmel and this hotel is walking distance to all the restaurants and beach. Suite 327 had a very small sitting room off the main bedroom seperated by 2 french doors (should have had curtains on these) in the tiny sitting room is a QS pull out sofa bed which was perfect for our 6 year old, we put her to bed, shut the doors and were able to watch TV without distrubing her. The bathroom was tiny but clean, loved the ceiling heater. We were cold the first night so we asked for more blankets, they bought them straight away. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very adequate, it had everything you need expect bacon and eggs!!
The heated pool was a big bonus for us as our 6 year old played in it for hours. I believe it should be put up a degree or two and it would be perfect. I think the property should have a hot tub esspecially for the winter months. Anyway this place is well priced, we got the suite for $116 per night with AAA discount.

• Liked — The location, heated swimming pool
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Los angeles
Reviewed November 7, 2008

From check-in to check-out the front desk person was very satisfactory. He explained that the upper floor preference was not available with the accomodations we requested but immediately upgraded our reservation to provide an upper floor room that was completely satisfactory. He was competent and friendly in every instance and made our stay very enjoyable.

• Liked — Loaction
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed here for a couple of nights while touring california. The room we were given had just been refurbished and was excellent. The pool was constantly in the shade, reception area is very small and their attempts to serve a breakfast buffet were thwarted by the total lack of seating facilities. Check-in was good, check-out took 30 mins as only one member of staff to deal with breakfast, complaints and other duties.

Stayed October 2008
California
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Many places in Carmel are very expensive and have 2-night minumums. We were able to book this place for just a Saturday night, which was nice. The location is great for walking around town, and the rate was very reasonable. The outside looks like an older motel, but the room was very nice an modern. We had room 209, which looks like it would have a distant ocean view if it hadn't been cloudy.

My only complain was that I asked the guy at the desk for the phone number of the local cab company, and had no idea how to handle the question. At first he said he might be able to get back to me later with the info, then he suggested that I use the internet connection in the room to find it myself. Not very helpful at all.

• Liked — no 2-night minimum
  • Disliked — poor service at front desk
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
california
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I've stayed in carmel for the past 50 years and have never been this dissapointed in a room
The carpet was filthy the decor was depressing and dark. The only thing good was the shower.I don't mind paying for a room that is worth it but this is really a depressing place. It's located in a convient area to town butits not worth the money.

• Liked — shopping and location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends