“Anniversary trip Awesome”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Benicia Ca
“Anniversary trip Awesome”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We have been here before in 1995 our first vacation together. we came back to celebrate our anniversary and it is even more wonderful than our 1st trip. The lounge had a wonerful band playing on saturday night and we got to enjoy dancing. The food was very good and reasonably priced. The service was top notch, friendly, and fun to be around. It was very close to some enjoyable shopping and restaraunts. The room was clean and spacious most of all quiet. All in All a great experience

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2009

As soon as we entered our room, my husband and I liked what we saw. The room and bathroom were very clean and included nice amenities. Colors were bold and lighting was excellent. Robes were provided but I found them to not be fluffy so they could use an overhaul (my only complaint). My husband was happy to see there was a new flat-screen TV so he could watch his football game (even if only for a few minutes). The beds were soooo comfortable - crisp sheets, well-made up beds with layers of soft blankets and spreads. We never did hear our neighbors and that's a big plus with us! We liked that this hotel is equipped with energy-saving showerheads as we have them at home and are used to them. The location is great, too. Just minutes away is the historic Carmel Mission and right behind the hotel is the Barnyard Village. There is a wide choice of restaurants and we highly recommend the Lugano Swiss Bistro. The food was delicious and if you like Weiner Schnitzel, this is the place. The grounds of the hotel is beautifully landscaped - it was enjoyable walking around. I appreciated that there was a 15-minute limit on using the hotel's free internet computers just off the lobby, too. The staff was very accommodating and so helpful. I must add that the cheerful bartender was very knowledgeable and friendly and gave us a few tips on the area. This is definitely a place we would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, guest service manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review the Carmel Mission Inn. Our recent renovation was intended to produce bright and colorful rooms and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on having a hardworking, dedicated and friendly staff and your comments will be shared with them. We are the closest hotel to the Carmel Mission which is a wonderful place to visit while in the area. Thank you for choosing the Carmel Mission Inn and we hope to serve you again in the future. Please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates, packages and service.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed at the Carmel Mission Inn along with our dog for one night. It appears all owners with dogs need to stay on the ground floor. If you don't want to be near the dogs, I would suggest asking for an upper level room. The Room we got had two Queen sized beds and a bench under the window which was great for keeping our belongings out of the way. The closet was good-sized with two complimentary bathrobes. The bathroom was adequate and perfectly clean as was the carpet (which did not smell like dogs at all). I never would have guessed dogs were allowed in this room since there wasn't a stray hair or "dog" smell at all.

Right behind the back parking lot is a shopping complex with stores and restaurants. We ate at "Hola" once which had pretty good Mexican food, and ate at "From Scratch" for breakfast in the morning. We arrived at an odd time which was after lunch but before dinner, so were limited on our choices since it seems not all the restaurants are open all day. Many restaurants had outdoor tables that we could sit at with our dog. On the other side of the hotel across the street are more shops and a Safeway grocery store.

The location of the hotel is not near downtown Carmel, but the drive was easy and took only a few minutes. We went to Carmel city beach in the afternoon and it was full of people and dogs having a great time. Parking wasn't an issue as I thought it would be, but this was a weekday. I bet during the weekend we wouldn't have been so lucky finding a spot, as there weren't many spaces.

I would recommend this hotel because its a more affordable alternative to staying directly in the middle of Carmel. It was an easy drive to the sights of Carmel, with comfortable, clean rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Carmel Mission Inn. Our Carmel Ca. hotel offers a limited number of pet friendly rooms and I'm glad we were able to accommodate you on your journey. We pride ourselves on offering clean and comfortable rooms at a great value. Many find our hotel to be a great location in exploring all Carmel has to offer. We look forward to serving you again and please remember to contact the hotel directly for the best rates, packages and service.
Boston
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We recently stayed at the Carmel Mission Inn for 2 nights thought the place was nice.

We were celebrating getting engaged and had been up in Healdsburg for 4 days then down to SF for 2 nigths and then ended our trip with 2 nights in Carmel. (I did call ahead to let the staff know that it was a special occasion, but I don't think it much mattered as the room we got was pretty basic (but, nice) no views really--just the front parking lot--but my financee did like the bathroom products (bath and body works)

I think you can tell the hotel is older (I would suggest that the inside of the elevators get updated as they looked very old), but with that being said there has definatley been significant improvements to it. The lobby and outdoor area with the fire pit is very nice. I thought the hot tubs were nice, but the patio furntiure looked a little older and it could have been a little more plush, though it was nice to have a pool and hot tubs to use as I know many hotels in Carmel do not have one.

You can walk to a bunch of restaurants and shops behind the hotel --there is a great pizza place directly behind the hotel that wins awards each year for the best pizza in Carmel.

The town of Carmel seemed to be about a 10 minute drive or so--which was not bad, the town was very nice and upscale with a coastal/moutain type feel.

We had gone also to Monterey to the aquarium (highly recommend it) and the town was nice--seemed to be a little more tourisity than Carmel with more of a boardwalk type feel, but still nice.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. It seems depending on the type of year the rates can vary a bit and I noticed my rate that I orginally booked had gone down, so I was sure to call to have them adjust it, so that I could get the lowest rate.

Lasttly, I would recommend the buffet breakfast in the timing room, it was $10 per person and we enjoyed it--oatmeal, fresh orange juice included, fresh fruit, toast on request, eggs with cheese, and bacon and sausage.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
As the guest service manager at the Camel Mission Inn I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel Ca. Hotel. It seems that you took advantage of our bed and breakfast package and enjoyed our morning buffet which is well received as a great value. The patio fire pit is a great spot to relax and meet new friends from all over the world. We look forward to serving you again when you visit Carmel Ca. and please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates, packages and service.
Oregon
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I have stayed at several hotels in Carmel. The great majority require a two night stay over the weekend and our schedule allowed only one night, thus we ended up here.
A Saturday night stay reserved through Expedia was $230.
The room decor was an interesting edgy retro modern rendition of the sea. I would not say that it is conducive to a restful or romantic mood but it is definitely a change of pace. The total florescent lighting could not be subdued well. Thus for women over 30 be warned that every blue vein in your body will be amplified. Also when all the lights are turned off florescent light which you have no control over exudes from behind the bedside tables.
There is no patio. The rooms are small. There is a gas station in front of the hotel and highway 1 on the side. There are no decent views. The staff is courteous but distant.
When we entered the room I called the front desk to see if another room with a porch and appearance of what I expected from the web pictures might be available. I was told that the hotel was full and that I would have to deal with that with Expedia. This gives me the impression that if you make a reservation here it should be directly with the hotel. Also it appeared to me that the hotel was not full though perhaps everyone was off to Carmel. One has to drive away from here to get to anything interesting. The pool area isn't even attractive or welcoming as a place to hang out at this hotel.
I gifted my son and girlfriend Friday and Saturday night at The Lobos Lodge for $179 each night so we could meet for dinner and a visit as we traveled down the coast. This has been my favorite place during my stays in Carmel so check it out. If I had known what it would be like here I would have paid for two nights at Lobos Lodge to be able to stay there one night.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
guestservicecarmel, guest service manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize that we were unable to provide a balcony room as requested. These rooms are in very high demand and during sold out times it is sometimes difficult to honor all requests. The accent lighting you referred to is controlled by a switch but I will admit it can be easily overlooked. For more personalized service we recommend that guests do call the hotel directly for the best rates and outstanding attention.
Nor Cal
Reviewed September 26, 2009

We booked and paid for a "deluxe" king room with balcony. Upon arrival 3:30 PM; we were told all rooms had been previously sold but we were assigned a double queen room. We checked out the room. It was dirty, the windows had stains running down them, the smoke detector "chirped" about every 20 seconds. The entrire experience SUCKED! Someone took an Old, old cement block structure, painted all the rooms a shocking lime green, didn't bother to clean and then did not provide what was paid for. NEVER will I stay here agein, or recommend anyone I know. Pitiful excuse for a hotel; and to top it off, they gave us the "discounted" rate of $198.00!!! Bad Bad Bad

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank freqtravelerNorCal
First I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize for not being able to provide a balcony room as requested. During peak demand periods requests and sometimes difficult to meet. It does appear that you were not charged for a deluxe room since we were unable to honor your request. I do hope that on a return visit you give us the opportunity to serve you as we honestly believe we are a great value in the Carmel area.
california
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Went with my wife and our pug for a relaxing weekend in Carmel. I was surprised in a nice way by this newly decorated hotel that does not look as any other chain hotel. It is beautifully decorated, fresh and clean. The breakfastroom is stilish in a youthfull way. The room decorated with details that accentuate the Carmel feeling, the presence of the ocean and athmosfere of vacation was quite, comfortable and clean. My pug had a great time. He was treated as a wellcomed quest and without an extravagant dog charge. I strongly recommend this hotel. At a resonable room rate it has no comparison in Carmel. Most other inns offer miniscule rooms, high prices and mold smell.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel as comments from our valued guests are always welcome. I'm pleased that you found our location convenient and a good value. Our friendly and courteous staff represent the area well. At times you will hear an occasional dog bark as we are a pet friendly hotel. For the most part they are respectful, friendly and welcome guests also. We look forward to serving you in the future and always remember to call the hotel directly for the best rates, service and attention.