“Recommend but read..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco
“Recommend but read..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is my 2nd stay here so I recommend it if you're looking for an nice but economical hotel in Carmel.

First stay was December 1.5 years ago for a diving trip to Point Lobos & Monastery Beach.

This time was for a quick weekend getaway to relax and enjoy the weather.

So.. I recommend this hotel if you plan on doing activities outside of your room.

Location - close drive to nearby activities.

Clean - it's clean.

Room - BRING EARPLUGS for your kids! Walls are paper thin! No need to explain further.
- nice shampoo, conditioner and soap (big deal for me)
- upgraded to have a balcony. It's nice for fresh air but the view of the roof below us & road wasn't great. But again, it's an economical hotel so I'm not complaining.
- towels are hard and rough (now I'm complaining.)

Pool/ hot tub - eh. Go to the beach

Staff - didn't see any other than checking in. Nothing to say about this, good or bad.

Restaurant - there is one but didn't eat there so I have no feedback.

Overall - I recommend this hotel for a quick getaway trip that includes outside activities & earplugs. I will stay here again for next dive.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My sweetie and I came here for a wedding anniversary. Although the location isn't the most picturesque, everything else was amazing. That said, if you want to walk to the grocery store or shops they are nearby, including the weekly Farmer's market. The hotel is super clean, well appointed, ultra-modern and stylish. We loved the oceanic colours and the fun details like the glowing light above the bed to light up the underwater mural in the dark (optional). The rooms were super quiet which is extremely important to me. We did not hear other guests or the highway noise.
We had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel each day, and enjoyed sitting on our balcony, at the pool and in the hot tub. The staff were super friendly and helpful.
We will kept booking extra nights we liked it so much, and we will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool. It is a really nice view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

chose this hotel as it looked so green on pictures - and it really is! love it! beautiful room, pool, lobby. staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - i did have many questions about carmel and big sur and they were clued up and happy to answer all my queries. room has perfect facilities - showers are plush with plenty of toiletries. thank you for the tea and coffee making facilities! wish i stayed longer!
only problem - couldnt find it - tucked away behind gas station - drove past it 3 times! doh! xx

Room Tip: room 216 - perfect view of pool - just gorgeous xx
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
California Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We were first greeted by George at the front desk, who was helpful, friendly and extremely attentive. For those of you who travel a lot, you'll know that this is not always a given. All the other front desk staff were equally helpful and friendly, so it's not a fluke...it says a lot about the work environment, the management, and the level of ownership that staff feel.

We loved the funky decor (great colours!) and the amenities were exactly what we needed for our road trip to Carmel. It is very well situated and has beautiful landscaping.

We highly recommend this Inn and thank the staff again for a great stay :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
guestservicecarmel, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Mission Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Carmel CA hotel. Your thoughts about our friendly staff and your recognition of George will be shared with our staff. We are glad you had a "great stay" and we appreciate your business. We hope you will stay with us again and plese remember to contact the hotel direct or visit our website for the best rates.
Lancashire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here on two separate occasions during our trip up and down the coast. Both times we had a good experience. Check in staff were friendly and helpful. Parking is virtually right outside the room. Rooms are a good size especially if you don't have a balcony but even if you do there's plenty of room to move around the room even with two suitcases on the floor.

Each room had a really comfy king size bed, desk for working, good wifi signal, fridge, coffee maker, safe and decent size (looked about 37") flat screen TV, plus a decent comfy chair to watch it in. There was also a powerful AC unit as well although we didn't need it for the second stay.

Bathrooms were slightly different in both rooms. One had a walk in shower and one had a shower over the tub - both very good. Gilchrist & Soames toiletries in the bathrooms which is a nice touch if you like that sort of thing. Both rooms were very clean which is always something I look for straight away and for me is always the main ingredient.

For $119 + tax I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find better value in and around this area. It's not convenient for a stroll to the beach or around town but then you'd hopefully know that before booking. This is a great place to stop and break your journey or use as a base for this area if you don't want to pay high $. I had some concerns before booking the first time as from the map it seems too close to the highway. This was not an issue and we heard nothing from the road.

The only negative comment I have is with regard to breakfast. If you want breakfast at the 'special' rate of $7 each you have to say so at check in. The first time we stayed we opted for breakfast as we didn't know the area and whether there was anywhere local to get something. This was a mistake. Breakfast consists of a self serve buffet style affair. Cooked options didn't look that appealing so we opted for cereal and fruit from a pretty poor choice. There was no toast or fruit juice which at breakfast I find incredible. The kicker for me is that we were served coffee at the table(there was no self serve option) and then left a check by the waitress with the gratuity option circled heavily in pen. Gratuity for what? Unacceptable.

I would stay here again but get breakfast somewhere else.

Room Tip: second floor room without balcony if you want more space.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for reviewing our Carmel CA hotel and your comments will be shared with our staff. We are pleased that you found our staff "very friendly" and that you noted the cleanliness of our rooms. We stive to provide an outstanding value in our area and we appreciate you comments and your business. We hope to see you again and please remember to contact the hotel direct for the best rates and service.
Cranbrook, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Although Carmel is supposedly such a romantic place, we found Monterey more to our liking. We stayed at the Carmel Mission Inn because it looked so inviting on the website. When we arrived (March 2011) we were told that the pool and hot tub were not operational. This is one of the things we were really looking forward to. Then the people who checked in next door to us were extremely noisy - in and out of their room many times - and the door was so squeaky it really annoyed us. We complained to the reception staff who did not care one bit and made no effort to accommodate us in a more quiet room or to make up for no pool accessibility. For the cost per night it was not worth it. Not recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank PandSMacHal
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Our records indicate that the hot tub was down for scheduled repair one morning during March but was back in service shortly after 1pm. Again I apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you will choose to stay with us agian as we value all our guests.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stopped in Carmel on our way to see the Big Sur. For the area it may be a good value. Having just come from a Hilton Homewood in Sacramento it seemed pricey for what we got. We were "upgraded" in lieu of a AAA discount. Our room looked like the one pictured except that it was small and cramped. There was a door in the building that tended to slam every time someone passed through it. Our time there was punctuated by that slamming door.

I had a disagreement with staff about the key card. When we came back from dinner, my card didn't work. The man helping me with the problem strongly implied that I was too old to work the card correctly. Since I had been using a key card often for the last five days, I resented that remark. I also thought it was inappropriate. Whether or not I'm old has nothing to do with a non-working card. When I complained the next morning about his attitude, he again argued with me implying once more that I didn't know how to use it. I thought he should have solved the problem and kept his thoughts to himself.

Some of the hotel was beautifully landscaped. I enjoyed that extra touch. Dinner was available in the restaurant, but we chose to eat close by.

Would I return to this hotel? Not unless that staff person has been retrained. I thought my upgraded room was basically a 4th floor room. It was nicely done, but so cramped I could hardly move around in the space.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MarilynneS2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your comments will be shared with our staff. I apologize for the problems with your key card and any insinuation that the problem was related to your use of that device. We value all of our guests and sincerely hope you will choose to stay with us again.