1,230 results
All reviews great location breakfast room best westerns gas fireplace top floor older hotel shops and restaurants free breakfast third floor would stay here again within easy walking distance stayed two nights king bed room was large private balcony downtown carmel pastries
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

How on earth does a motor lodge get great reviews?! Let me begin with, this place was “recommended” by a couple getting married - they recommended several... but obviously never actually checked it out. Nor did I make the reservation... because I would never have picked a 2 1/2*....

1) this is a motor lodge... not an “Inn”, not a hotel, not a motel, but a motor lodge... reminds me of places I would stay with my parents in the 70’s in Tahoe.

2) not enough parking so if you leave a space at anytime, you may have to park on the street, with limited hours... after 7pm you’re ok until 10am on the street, but still.... it could be blocks away.

Now, the room was clean enough.... but we did find a tick clawing around in my man!!! Haven’t a clue if it dropped on him while we were walking around in downtown Carmel or was here... but that freaked us out... thank god I found it before it went in him!

Room was HOT!! We had a sheet on, nothing else because you can’t put the air on. Dropped the thermostat down to 50, to keep the heater from going off, and opened all windows but it was hot every night... even left windows open while we were walking around downtown...all day... didn’t help.

Closet doors don’t open except with the strength of a god! This needs to be fixed...ironing board suffers the same issues... can’t close it without serious strength. If you think the closet is large enough to place your luggage in it on the luggage rack... think again...

EXPENSIVE! This place is way over priced !! No ocean view from our room and we were paying close to $400!! That’s ridiculous! Walked around downtown and popped our head into other places to see what they were charging...much less.. (at least $100 less a night) and not a motor lodge!!!

I suppose if you’re use to 2 1/2* stars, you might be happy with this place, but I’m paying NAPA VALLEY prices in the same kind of beautiful setting and getting this place? I think not!

Do yourself a favor, don’t come here.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mewaxwiz
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

A small motel, very friendly staff, small but clean room. OK bed, not to noisy. 5h3 breakfast is practically only some drinks, bred, cornflakes and waffles.

A little to pricey but with free wi-fi, parking and great location.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2018

I booked last minute because I had to change my plans. I was doing the Highway 1 with my husband. So, I did not expect much of the hotel, other than a place to sleep after driving all day. We got there late at night and we were surprised with a free upgrade to one of the best rooms of the hotel, in the last floor, wih a corner view of the ocean and a fireplace. We were sad we couldn't stay there any longer. The hotel is was spotless and the breakfast was good with lots of options (considering it was just continental breakfast). Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriela A
Reviewed July 29, 2018

On the last Thursday/Friday of July when all of Carmel-by-the-Sea appeared to be booked solid, I managed to find two nights available at the Carmel Bay View Inn. I paid over USD $600.00 for 2 nights, even after finding an online coupon for $50. off the total stay through the booking site I used. Here are the pros and cons of this lodging in no particular order.

PROS:
-The hotel is located less than a 5 minute walk from Ocean Avenue, Carmel's main shopping and dining street. The walk from the hotel to the town's gorgeous sandy beach is approximately 10-15 minutes if you have a reasonable level of fitness.
-The grounds of the hotel have several pretty flower gardens and hanging baskets of flowers everywhere, including the outdoor breakfast terrace. The grounds are kept extremely tidy by friendly staff who sweep and mop common areas daily.
-The hotel's little swimming pool and deck with lounge chairs and tables with umbrellas is very charming, and the water was an excellent, refreshing temperature (not heated). Several families were really enjoying the pool. Pool and deck were sparkling clean.
-There is a large shopping market right next to the hotel that has a deli, stocks wine, bottled water, ice cream, and everything else you could want for refreshments in your room. They were even selling freshly made pizza on the days I was in town.
-One staff member at the reception desk was very sympathetic to my request to switch rooms from day 1 to day 2 (see cons below). The second room was in the little row of rooms facing the pool, and was a great improvement. It offered two nice wooden chairs and a table outside it on the deck as well. This would be the only room type I would consider booking in the future. Be aware that the pool opens at 9 in the morning (I think?) so you might be woken up by children playing in the pool if you want to sleep in.

CONS:
-I felt that the room I was assigned for day 1 was really overpriced. The room was a level 1xx, overlooking the main entrance to the hotel and located directly above the car park. All of the rooms have low ceilings, and this room was extremely dark. In addition, the mini fridge buzzed on and off all night, and there was not even a soap dish in which to place hand soap. The rooms are painted a dull yellow and are very dated/shabby looking. Bed was too soft and bouncy for my liking, and moved whenever my partner did. The town garbage trucks woke me up around 7:30am the following morning as they come right down the street the hotel faces. Not ideal on a vacation.
-On the evening of day 1, a rather disinterested staff person at reception told me there were no other rooms available that night when I tried to request another one.
-After spending a restless night on day 1, I was at least looking forward to the breakfast included with the room the following morning. Breakfast was fine, but very basic. One type of eggs were offered (scrambled), and they were fluffy and tasty and possibly local. There were sausages, a waffle machine, tea, coffee, and juices, and several toast and muffin options. In a town surrounded by strawberry fields, a fruit in season, the fruit offerings were apples and bananas. The breakfast floor has a pretty outdoor patio with flowers, but it has no view, and was quite chilly on a foggy morning.
-Despite many of the other reviews saying this hotel was very clean, I found a really obvious long black hair on the white bedspread. Uggh!
-My partner was cold in both rooms even after turning on the gas fire. There was an extra blanket in the room, but it was thin and scratchy. Carmel is notorious for its foggy summer evenings, so pack some warm pajamas.
-The room at the pool house did not have any shelves in the bathroom or in the shower/tub on which to place toiletries.

Suggestions to the hotel management for improvements:
-Lower the price of the rooms, or spruce them up. Paint the rooms white or add better lighting, invest in nicer blankets, and have a few extra blankets or a comforter available. Get rid of the hangers that can't be removed from the closet and the iron that can't be removed from the ironing board - - these make the room feel very cheap. Install shelves in bathrooms where there are none. Think about placing fresh flower cuttings in the rooms. There is an abundance of them, and that alone would vastly improve the atmosphere in the rooms.
-Talk to reception staff about displaying friendliness toward your guests. Of the 3 staffers I encountered, two were frankly disinterested and displayed no welcoming attitude toward arriving guests. The third staffer was friendly and concerned about my request to change rooms, volunteered to have maintenance look at the noisy fridge, and accommodated my request to move by reassigning me to a room that another guest had cancelled.
-Liven up the breakfast options. Bring in local season fruits and some more options such as hard boiled eggs, cereals, and cheeses. Also, heat lamps on the patio in the morning would be wonderful.

Overall, if the room rates were cheaper or the rooms were upgraded, I would stay at this property again, but at present it did not prove comfortable and quiet for a mini getaway for a busy couple seeking some R&R.

Room Tip: The rooms in the small lodge facing the pool appear to be the most charming.
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

When I last submitted a review in 2009, I said that the motel was well located and the rooms were large. I complained about the wifi, which is now fine. The breakfast has also been upgraded, as have the bathrooms.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple