“Very disappointed”

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Houston, Texas
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed January 7, 2008

In sum: Nice view, but minimum provided for guests. Nice staff, but apparently not empowered to do much for guests.

I told the fellow on the phone that I needed internet access to work on my laptop for a personal retreat. No problem, he said.

1. First thing I see on arrival is that the bed has a very visible hump in the middle and saggy sides (see photos I uploaded). I tell the man at the desk. "Oh, really?" he says, that that's that.

2. Then I notice that the modem is in a corner, 20 feet from the table (you can see it in the photo) — and they give me a 2-foot LAN cable. I mention this, and they find a 7-foot cable. What to do? They tell me I can drive 20 minutes and buy myself a longer one. Not joking.

3. No microwave in room, none in lobby, dining room closed most of day. My bad: I should have noticed, or asked, before booking.

4. Power goes out for whole day (not their fault, of course). I tell the man at the desk I had to buy ice so my food won't spoil. He just looks at me.

5. Power comes back on -- no internet access. I have to walk the desk through contacting mgr, rebooting router. Nothing works. Do they call the provider? Nope. Manager will get around to it next day when she happens to come in.

Never again.

Stayed January 2008
6 Thank Dan P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Hebrew first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My wife and I stayed at Best Western Bay View Inn, Carmel, for one night. There is wireless only in the lobby, but guests can sign to borrow a LAN cable for free broadband access. The room heater is small, but it is effective, so it is best to turn it off before going to sleep; otherwise you could wake up in a sweat. Most Best Westerns have refrigerators in the room, but this one did not. We could hear the normal noises of neighbors, and the sound of water running through pipes was louder than in most hotels where we have stayed. Trucks going up the grade outside the hotel often were noisy as they downshifted and climbed the gentle slope. When we were there, the two attendants in the breakfast room chatted noisily rather than emptying the overflowing waste basket or replenishing juices. These these little nuisances are offset by the location and the price, which are outstanding. The hotel is next to a grocery store and just a short walk away from our favorite restaurant, Bouchee, on Mission Street. Hint; The gas fireplace is turned on by a light switch on the side of the chimney.

• Liked — Walking distance to shops
  • Disliked — Noise from neighbors
4 Thank Staidthere
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 23, 2007

We stayed at the Best Western Bay View Inn in Carmel for a weekend getaway. The hotel is located right in the middle of Carmel - walking distances to lots of shops and restaurants (warning - Carmel is expensive and more than our budget so we ended up going to Monterey and Pacific Grove to eat most of the time). The architecture of the model is older (1960s) with exterior corridors, but the rooms have been refurbished, and have new bathrooms, clean carpet, and have acceptable furnishings. The bed was a bit soft for me. Breakfast was typical model-continental breakfast (nothing special, but sufficient).

• Liked — Located in the middle of town
  • Disliked — The older 1960s architecture
2 Thank redanteater
california
Reviewed December 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The big plus to staying here is the location. It is a GREAT location, can't beat it for the price (a little under $100/night)! You are right in the center of Carmel, where all the shops and restaurants are. We are within walking distance to everything. Also, from reading other reviews, this place offers FREE parking. The room itself is very simple and ordinary, nothing fancy. Room is clean, bathroom clean, okay for having a place to stay overnight. Again, this is not a 5-star place, so don't be expecting anything fancy. The complimentary breakfast is very simple, continental breakfast.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — room
2 Thank like2trvl2
CT
Reviewed November 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Bay View Inn in Carmel for one night during a trip to California where we drove from San Francisco to San Diego with stops in Carmel and LA in between. The drive down "The 1" from San Francisco was spectacular; some of the most awe inspiring scenery I've ever seen. We traveled the 17 Mile Drive and arrived in Carmel around 530pm, which was later then we would have hoped. The hotel was easy to find and very centrally located. The room was clean but worn (we had a room by the pool with a king bed and a fireplace) with no air conditioning. It happened to be a warm day and early evening, so when we opened the door to the room it was HOT! But, we cranked the ceiling fan and opened a window and it cooled down eventually! I thought the room was clean enough, but it was definately nothing fancy or special, really. Just an average room in a beautiful town!

• Stayed November 2007
3 Thank sheilor
Kansas City
Reviewed November 12, 2007

My husband and I, family members and friends stayed from 3-7 days at this motel for my daughters wedding in Carmel. When reserving rooms for the wedding, we were given a very good group rate for the wedding block of rooms. Many of the rooms had been remodeled. We especially enjoyed the spacious 2 oceanview king suites, each included a long balcony with chairs, a fireplace, 2 full bathrooms, refrigerator, coffee pot, 2 closets, sofa sleeper, small table and chairs, and 2 televisions. The view and location was great, the room was clean, and the bed very comfortable. The bathrooms have been recently remodeled and updated. The continental breakfast was simple: cereal, juice, coffee, tea, fresh fruit, fresh pastries, sufficient to get you started in the morning. The front desk staff was friendly and most accomodating to any need we had.The grounds and flowers are very attractive, and clean. The market next door was quaint, had reasonable prices, and made a delicious custom sandwich tray for our guests one day. For all of us to able to stay together, affordably, within walking distance of the sites of Carmel, it was great. We would consider staying there for future visits to the area.

• Liked — location and price in Carmel
  • Disliked — older "Motel" style, little outdated.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank brneyesu
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2007

We stayed in Carmel for 3 nights at the end of our tour of California. We paid extra to have a balcony and fire. conveniently this meant we were on the same floor as we could park and if it was really sunny the hotel just about managed to justify it's name of "Bay View"!

Really this is just a Best Western Motel in the middle or Carmel and that's fine. Room size was ok with ammenities you'd expect (though no shower gel which was weird and we had nearly run out after 2 weeks!)

One warning - there is no internet access! Not just in the hotel but in Carmel! We wanted to do our online check in before we left but apparently the hotel had no PC I could use, nor did the staff have access to the internet to do it for me! We chose Carmel to relax and wind down but there's a difference between being relaxing and being out of touch!!!

Carmel quite cute and a good base for playing golf (hubby managed to get on Pebble Beach by calling up the day before, though it was $500 and he had a tee time that wasn't guaranteed to finish).

Just a tip - if you are driving highway 1, leave yourself plenty of time and make sure you arrive before dark!

• Stayed October 2007