Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
La Playa Carmel(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$389
  • Pool
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$139
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$133
$350
$169
$150
Official Site
Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$180
ComfortInn
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$147
$139
Quail Lodge & Golf Club(Carmel)(Great Value!)
$225
Carmel Valley Ranch(Carmel)
$505
$409
Travelocity
All reviewsfire pitwine and cheesehansel and gretellion roomblue birdb bthe early birdother guestsyogurtperfect locationbreakfast basketocean avenueshops and restaurantstwo blockseach eveningclose to towncarmel by the sea
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My travel companion and I stayed here October 25-29, 2010. This is my second time staying here and could not have been more happy. Originally we were only planning on staying in Carmel By the Sea two nights and then heading to Napa but decided to can Napa and spend more time in Carmel because we were having such a fantastic time and love this area (this was my travel companion's first time here and he also fell in love with it like I did) . The Lamp Lighter Inn is a wonderful spot and truthfully one of my favorite places to stay when I am on the West Coast. All the rooms are extremely clean (first time I stayed in the Hansel and Gretel cottage and second visit stayed in Sea Star), decorated in a simple fresh way and beachy feeling and there are wood burning fireplaces that make it perfect for those cool nights with the coastal breeze. Every morning you get the daily newspaper, a breakfast basket with hardboiled eggs, yogurt, yummy muffins, juice and coffee/hot chocolate available. This is a nice add on that people appreciate.The owner Bobby and his staff could not be more helpful and knowledgeable on things to do and pointing you in the right direction where to eat! I'm not sure when I will return but hopefully sooner than later because this has become one of my favorite travel spots that I fell in love with and a big thanks to the Lamp Lighter.

1  Thank JKDONO
backincarmel, Owner at Lamp Lighter Inn & Sunset House Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2011

That is a true compliment when a guest returns. Thank you! We all hope you come back again soon, and I will be sure to tell the decorator you liked your room. ( points for me, she's my girlfriend.)
Thanks again,
Bobby

Reviewed November 4, 2010

My and my best friend booked this place last minute (the day of)..we stayed from Friday to Monday. I really didn't have high expectations of the property because all I really cared about is being close to the beach and shops (which it is). I don't think any property is in a better location. We stayed in the Sunset House (Sea Lion room). It was so perfect and charming. The beds were comfortable, the fireplace was easy to light (with real wood). The louvered windows were perfect for letting the breeze in. They hand delivered a breakfast basket (orange juice, a muffin, yogurt and a boiled egg) every morning, even the day we checked out)..with the local newspaper. We used the refrigerator and coffee pot in the room (plus hairdryer in the bathroom). They had books available for reading and beach chairs (that we used free of charge). Our room had a tiny, shower only bathroom..but they advised me of that before I booked. It is extremely quite, so we did faintly hear some early morning lovebirds/honeymooners (I'm not sure what room they were in, but we just turned on the TV..lol). I will stay here again (if they are not sold out). Everyone was so helpful and friendly. You do not need to use your car after you arrive (the parking was free). Oh yeah, they had wireless internet access too.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Quaint little cottage room with pretty furnishings, small but not cramped - just cosy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Garden is beautiful and there is a communal den full of books, and free hot drinks available till midday. A breakfast basket is delivered to your door (OJ, yogurt, muffin and hard boiled egg). A short walk takes you to the ocean in one direction, and to the centre of Carmel the other way. There is free parking at the front of the inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We spent our 5th wedding anniversary here. Neither of us had been to Carmel for over 25 years. So gald we picked here and with each other. Our only regret was, we did not stay an extra night. We were able to take our well behaved family pet Fonzie, he loved it and was the best and caused no issues at all in his unfamiliar surroundings. We will do this more often now that we can take him and not have to worry about pet care. We can just get up an go. The Dolphin room was quaint, nice and clean. Loved it. The fireplace was awesome on those cold mornings.
The breakfast basket each morning was such a plus as we were able to be lazy and still have a light snack and not go out. Just wish there were a different option for the deposit on the pet policy. I understand fully, there are some animals that can be disruptive, destroy property. For those that do not have these type of pets, possibly a large deposit be left and an inspection be done upon check out. If all is in proper order, the depoist or partial depoist be returned to the visitors. Thirty dollars a night was a bit steep for us. But, so gald he was with us. Stay here you will not be sorry and so close to the beach, which was so beautiful.
Thank you to the owners and staff you made our 5th anniversary so memorable. My only suggestion would be is a designated smoking area away from the rooms. The travelers in the next room were heavy smokers and were smoking right outside our room and the smoke crept right into the room. Again, thank you!
Fonzie, mom and dad

Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed at the Lamp Lighter on a trip from San Fran to LA. We liked it so much that we decided to extend our stay a second night. It was the perfect location 2 blocks from the beach (from the beach you can see Pebble Beach Golf Club) and 2 blocks from the town which has excellent dining. (Demetra Cafe was awesome) The service was excellent. We already had a plan but they improved upon it and lent us a pair of binoculars for Pt Lobos. Pt Lobos is a must. Its only 3 mins from carmel and has the best hiking. The views and sea lions were amazing. Breakfast was delivered every morning. It consisted of hard boiled eggs, yogurt, muffins, and OJ. We unfortunately didn't have our dog but the Inn and the beach were very dog friendly. Carmel and the Lamp lighter was a definite highlight of our trip.