“Hit the Spot”

Lafayette Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Carmel
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Sacramento, California
“Hit the Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for a bite to eat after hours of hiking Point Lobos. Very friendly service, quiche was wonderful and good proportions so was the Demi sandwich (both were just a bit to cold) Latte was great and went well with the chocolate shortbread cookie. Worth the stop if you are in the area and want a quick and small meal.

2 Thank Donna S

Beverly, Massachusetts
“The Real Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

We happened upon Lafayette while vacationing recently and were so thrilled to discover it that we visited three times in two days. I say 'discover' because it takes a little work to find it in the Barnyard shopping area just off Route 1. Once found however, it has some sublime offerings as well as the requisite good coffee of a quality bakery. The deal was sealed when it became apparent that English is a second language (to French) for several of the counter-staff. We kept it simple with heavenly croissants and pastries, but hope to return someday to dig deeper into the menu. I can't think of a better start to a day than to enjoy their fresh-fom-the-oven offerings.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank jpahter
Pebble Beach, California
“authentic and sweet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place is a last stop shop on the way to Big Sur, with an authentic selection of french sweets, cafe and breakfast baguettes. I ordered a cheese croissant, bacon specked wheat and large cafe with cream. The modest outdoor decor and red-checkered table cloths made casual conversation easy. What I loved most, besides the sweets, were the number of languages being spoken around me. For a mid-morning moment, it felt as though I had left the golden state.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank christianannschaffer
Malta, New York
“Go early, go often!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

This place is a bit hard to find (the Barnyard complex is more like a maze), but it's well worth the hunt -- an authentic French bakery, run by actual French people, with delicious croissants, pastries and bread. Everything was fabulous, but the highlight was a small baguette sandwich I got to go -- had I known the bread would be that amazing, I would've bought as much as I could carry! My only regret is that we didn't have the time to stop here until we were on our way to the airport, so we only got to go there once.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Ravenclaw79
Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't Miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Our golf caddie told us about this bakery and when we visited it we were delighted! The building is 90% an operational French bakery with 10% of the building being an area to sit. We ate breakfast twice while visiting and everything we ate was wonderful! My favorite - the almond croissants. I will be stopping before we leave to buy bread to take home!

Visited April 2014