“Finally found Manhattan Clam Chowder!”

Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 160 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: At Flaherty's...Fish is Everything! We know good seafood, we know how to buy it and we know how to prepare it. Unlike most restaurants (even the best of them) where fish is often a secondary item on the menu...at Flaherty's it's all about seafood. Here, you will experience a small town, comfortable, family atmosphere, where quality ingredients and quality preparation come together with quality service. We also include gluten free items in our menu to provide all of our customers with the best service possible. It's who we are...come and experience seafood like it was meant to be.
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We travel a lot and I have continually searched for Manhattan clam chowder, even though I do love New England style, and can never find it. This week broke the spell...I found Manhattan clam chowder in a small hide a way restaurant in Carmel, CA... of all places, completely across the US! Flaherty's is a small hidden restaurant in Carmel but the food was delicious! The Manhattan chowder was home made and simply delicious, as were the other foods. We traveled over 2500 miles and finally found my favorite! 5 stars to this one!!!

restauranteurCarmel, Owner at Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hi Albert,

Thank you so much for your review. I'm thrilled to know you enjoy our Manhattan clam chowder that much. The next time you're craving it, be sure to stop by!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were in Carmel for the Labor Day Weekend. Our daughter and her family were travelling with us. My husband and I went to Flaherty's Seafood Grill and Oyster Bar while our daughter and her family were at the beach. My husband had the Clam Chowder. We have had better. I had two different kinds of oysters and they were delicious. Our daughter and her family joined us. They had the lobster bisque and oysters. They have a good selection of wine and beer and a good time was had by all. I would highly recommend having oysters here.

Thank you for celebrating Labor Day weekend with us. I'm glad to know you and your family enjoyed our oysters. Hope you get a chance to visit again soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We saw the sign saying the best Oyster and Bloody Mary in Carmel. It was a Sunday night on labor day weekend, the weight was about 1 hour without reservation. The host called us when the table is ready. We happily sat down at the bar and order their infamous bloody mary. It was good, but I don't know if that beats the San Diego Hash A Go Go bloody mary. It is worth the try tho. Then the bartender made a Pimms Cup for me at my request. She did a pretty good job too. We had a good time chatting with her. She is a very fun person to talk to.

The food:

1. We order 1/2 dozen of the oyster combination (fanny bay, etc..) Don't remember. It was okay, not as fresh as the ones we get in SF. The variety is not as much as we get at hog island.

2. Clam chowder is kinda bland. nothing special, i would say it's too watery.

3. Chili - this is okay, i feel like it has too much beans and not spicy at all. I think 3/4 of the bowl was beans. Too fulfilling for just a cup of chili.

I won't come back again for the food, but definitely come back again for the drinks from the lady bartender. Next time I will remember to ask for her name.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went to dinner at Flaherty's restaurant with a friend and my puppy. We were seated at one of the outdoor tables, under a heater and were very comfortable. We split a Ceasar salad and I had the filet, which came with a choice of sides. I love carmelized onions and Bernaise, so those were the two I picked. My friend chose a seafood dish that came in an oven skillett, Halibut and crab with an amazing broth! Looked rustic and tasted gourmet. Very nice selection on the wine list, and priced so you didn't feel taken advantage of. Kayla, our server, was attentive, without being condenscending and very knowledgeable. I live locally in town and have a business where I am asked frequently to recommend restaurants. Flaherty's is always at the top of the list.

Thanks for recommending us! I'm glad to know you appreciate our approach to cooking. We strive to serve simple and rustic dishes that taste special and memorable.

I'll be sure to pass along your kind message to Kayla. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was our 3rd time visiting Flaherty's and while our first couple of meals in 2005 and 2007 were spectacular, sadly, food quality and value have gone wayyyy downhill. The seafood paella was mushy, as if it had been warmed up from a couple days earlier. The seafood grill was grossly overpriced and the smallest serving imaginable.