“Seafood specialists”

Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Flaherty's Seafood Grill & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 161 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: At Flaherty's...Fish is Everything! We know good seafood, we know how to buy it and we know how to prepare it. Unlike most restaurants (even the best of them) where fish is often a secondary item on the menu...at Flaherty's it's all about seafood. Here, you will experience a small town, comfortable, family atmosphere, where quality ingredients and quality preparation come together with quality service. We also include gluten free items in our menu to provide all of our customers with the best service possible. It's who we are...come and experience seafood like it was meant to be.
Petaluma, California
“Seafood specialists”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

So many good choices of seafood on the menu, it was a difficult decision. The 1/2 doz. variety of oysters on half shell were delicious and fresh. Paella and seafood pasta all great. We had no room for desert, but menu was tempting. Reservations advised. Room is chaotic and noisy when crowded.

Visited October 2012

Modesto, California
“Good food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nice place. Cesar salad was very good. Food was great too. Always a must go to place for me. Bree and roasted garlic was very good.

Visited October 2012
California
“DID NOT MEET EXPECTATIONS”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A nice little place in an expensive area. Wife and I went for lunch on a Friday. Main dining room was closed for what looked like a private party so we were seated. in the oyster bar. I ordered the soft shell crab sandwich. waitress asked if i wanted saute or fried. I chose saute. after about 15 minutes the owner came to the table and said the waitress offered a poor suggestion and i should have it fried. it came heavily breaded and deep fried to a crispy state. it was not recognizable by appearance or taste as soft shell crab. this is a pricey place and since the selection of top notch restaurants in carmel is huge, i probably wont go back.

• Visited October 2012
monterey
“Not quite what it used to be”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Have tried this spot several times and it seems to have gone just a bit lower on the rating scale. It's still fully priced. However, my friend is a big guy and he likes a fair portion, so was very disappointed in the miniscule amount of seafood in the mixed seafood grill. My salad was fine and well sized, but salads tend to be made up from a lot of inexpensive ingrediants. Service seems to be sort of quiet, as in very reduced contact. It also took several tries to get our drink orders correct. It's not really bad, it's just not as good as it used to be. We hope that they can come back up to what they were.

Visited August 2012
Tampa, Florida
“A "Msut Go To" Place in Carmel”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Out of the so many restaurants in Carmel, Flaherty’s Seafood is clearly one of the tops. For over eighteen years I have been haunting this establishment and have never had a disappointing time here.

When the kids were growing up, we visited their grandmother in the nearby Salinas at least monthly. I always made it a point to stop by Flaherty’s (usually for a dish of their Cioppino). After moving to Florida several years ago, this was definitely one eatery that I missed being able to go to.

Recently, we have started to attend the Monterey Jazz Festival every September and have now made it to third consecutive years of attendance. When you only visit the area there are certain “must-see” things to do – Cannery Row, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, a drive Oceanside thru Pacific Grove and most definitely, Flaherty’s Oyster Bar. There is one breakfast place in Carmel and only one other restaurant that rate repeat visits for us every single visit.

On last year’s visit, the wait staff even endeared themselves to a much higher degree. Joanie has Celiac disease (a fancy way of saying she must be gluten free or suffer severe side effects) and does not eat meat. With that lifestyle, we know our seafood. While lunching at Flaherty’s before heading over to the Festival, the waiter must have overheard us talking through the menu. Without even asking about it, he suddenly appeared with some warm gluten free bread for her and a gluten free menu. I was thrilled to get my annual fill of Sand dabs and she was in heaven with butter dripping off some of the best gluten free bread she has had. (If you have ever tasted typical gluten free bread, you know what I mean.)

This year, we stopped by for dinner after leaving the Festival early (not a great lineup that night). We walked into a crowded restaurant due to a bus load of tourists passing through. Luckily, we did not have to wait as we grabbed two of the last seats at the oyster bar. With every table filled, we did not expect the normally great service. We were dead wrong. The service was stellar throughout and we did not feel rushed or feel that we were any less important than the big group. Not only our waiter, but all the staff behind the bar were attentive throughout, pleasant, professional and friendly.

After explaining the gluten free issue, it was apparent they have dealt with it many times and knew their stuff (this is becoming more common but it is still a treat to talk to wait staff who KNOW what gluten free means and knows the ingredients of the food they serve). She was pleased to order the Seafood Pasta (made with gluten free pasta and, oh so fresh seafood). I am in a rut and got my annual fill of Sand Dabs again (nothing like this in Florida!). The Sand Dabs, as always, were perfectly done. Breaded perfectly (heavy breading will ruin such a delicate fish) and cooked precisely right, they melt in your mouth. There was more than enough on the plate to sate my appetite for this delicacy until next year. She says that the pasta is the best gluten free pasta she has ever tasted and the long flight out from Florida was worth it just for that. On top of that the seafood was top quality. Even though I was stuffed from the Sand Dabs, I took the luxury of coffee and dessert and enjoyed a great finale for an excellent time in Carmel again.

Start preparing the Cioppino, next year I am going back to that!

• Visited September 2012