“Great Way to Start the Day”
Review of California Market

California Market
Ranked #42 of 160 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stopped here for breakfast before heading out to Big Sur. The view was epic and the food was excellent. The service was good for the most part. The restaurant is part of the Hyatt. I would definitely return to eat here if I was in the area.

1  Thank Renae H
There are newer reviews for California Market

Reviewed May 27, 2013

California Market is the casual, only opened for breakfast and lunch restaurant at the Hyatt Highland Carmel timeshare/hotel complex which sits on a bluff overlooking the rocky Pacific coast. From the restaurant's deck and tables by the window you can look south towards beautiful Big Sur. The more panoramic view is from the Pacific Edge Restaurant and Sunset Lounge, on the floor above, where you can see both Big Sur and Point Lobos in the north where Ansel Adam photographed many of his iconic images.
California Market must not have the same restaurant management as the hotel's Pacific Edge Restaurant known for its food and wine events. The menu items are interesting but inconsistently prepared. I had the corned beef hash and the beef was ground rather than shredded and chopped. The chipolte sauce had a little heat but no flavor compared to Heinz ketchup. One poached egg had a runny yolk and the other was firm. The person next to us turned back the signature chicken hash because there was hardly any chicken meat. In the dungeness crab versions of eggs benedict, the crab was not sweet and fresh tasting as we are use to.
There was a lack of attention to detail. Another table ordered a poach egg dish and I was surprise to see the server set down a plate with a six inch long thread of cooked egg white hanging from the edge of the plate. The patron subtlely cut it off and set it aside. Wiping the table was done without moving the salt and pepper shakers so several tables had crumbs and other debris around the shakers.
For couple cups of coffee and two breakfast entrees that were not well executed $50 including tax and tip cause me to give this experience a low value rating. Money better spent would be to sit in their Sunset Lounge bar with a drink and take in the view or drive 8-10 minutes to Carmel-by-the-Sea for a better brunch.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Breakfast and lunch, both, offer interesting menus. The Point Lobos Benedict at breakfast is outstanding. Excellent service.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

we went here for my boyfriends grandmas birthday. we were seated quickly and then it took forever for someone to come over and say hello. the server was bland. the food was really good for everyone, the only problem is I found a large piece of blue lint in my salad. I work in a restaurant so I know how things are, and didnt say anything... but was a little disappointed since it is supposed to be a really nice restaurant. oh well. the food was good, the view is pretty, if u get one of the two tables by the window, but the service was just whatever. we were trying to have a special lunch and overall it was just average. I would go back, but not for a special occasion.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have eaten here 4 times and overall have enjoyed our experience. Our most recent experience was our best, mainly because we had a late lunch and avoided crowds and kitchen delays and had a very attentive server especially to our little one.

What I would recommend here include,

1. Their salads, especially the Cobb
2. Children's menu is healthy and tasty, the spaghetti with turkey balls as well as building your own turkey sub
3. Club sandwich
4. Crab cake appetizer

Skip,

1. Breakfast or brunch if you or your fellow diners like a hearty breakfast

Our most recent experience was a solid 5, reiterating how important service is ( the time before the server left a lot to be desired ).

The view seats are outside, as inside can feel cramped, so try to go there for either an early or a late lunch for the best service and experience possible.