New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Gear Heads Delight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baja Cantina & Grill

Baja Cantina & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Baja Cantina & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar, American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Valley Greens Drive
Transit: Monterey-Salinas Transit stops at Valley Hills Center.
Farmington New Mexico
“Gear Heads Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is great place especially if you are a 'Gear Head'. I made a reservation several hours in advance and asked to sit next to the 'Offy' engine. We arrived a little early and enjoyed the Hot Rods in the parking lot, a Thursday night tradition? We were seated next to the 'Offy' as promised.

We are from New Mexico so we know a thing or two about good Mexican food or at least we think we do. I had the Carnitas (house specialty) and my wfe had the Blackened Sea Bass Baja Style. Both dishes were very good. We liked their homemade tortillas and salsa too. Our meal was $70 which included a couple of beers a glass of wine and the bacon wrapped prawns.

Service was good, they made a small mistake on our check but they rectified it no problem.

Lots of stuff to look at inside and out. There was a great rock band playing on the patio, lot's of energy the night we were there.

Nice experience!

Napa, California
“Great Fresh Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ate at the Baja Cantina in Aug on a trip to Carmel Valley Village. It was a wonderful meal, one of the best Mexican Food Meals I have had in a long time, Service was great, margaritas come in the pitchers if you so desire (we had 4 people in our party) and everyone enjoyed the meals, I had a wonderful chicken enchilada with tropical rice and salsa, my husband and one other guest had Pork Mole Enchilada and the other person had the shrimp and spinach enchilada. We will definately eat there again!

El Coco, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
“DO NOT GO THERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had our seating changed 3 times before they finally decided to sit us. We were seated in the corner facing the back corner wall as if we were bad kids. Well we asked for water and finally got it. Worst $80.00 ever spent. They could have made more on us but the drinks were expensive but cheaply made so we stopped at the first round. Tequila was suppose to be topshelf. Give me a break, we can tell junk tequila when we taste it.

The tortilla chips were warm but tasted like BBQ potato flavored Lays chips The sour cream was warm and tasted like mayonaise. Every tasted like burnt garlic and onion. I guess they think that is what good Mexican food is suppose to taste like.

So I give it a one because I was sick just a little and did not lose too much sleep with indegestion.

I do not recommend this restaurant go to a fast food drive thru and save money.

Never will return to Baja Cantina. Shame.

3 Thank IRM_12
Carmel, California
“Great atmosphere, service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We took a very large group to the Cantina on one of their really busy nights. Car week is ending and many racers and car guys love to go and share car stories. We were seated promptly - get reservations and served promptly. Quite a feat on a night as busy as this. This time we were inside but there is also a delightful heated patio. The owner raced cars and has collected auto memorabilia. AND the margaritas are good as is the food. A great place to hang out with friends.

Anaheim, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Tex Mex food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

You have got to try the Cochinita Pork, it's the bomb! You get this finely shredded pork that's been slow cooked in this deep brown sauce that's made from citrus and I'm not sure but it tasted like there was cinnamon in there too. It comes on a flour tortilla with cheese and then it was grilled to perfection. It was one of the best things I've put in my mouth in a long time! My wife had the Grilled chicken quesadilla, it was also very good (but not as good as the pork). I highly recommend this place. You 'll love it!

Visited July 2013