“Great artichoke soup,”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
North Carolina
“Great artichoke soup,”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Very vegetarian friendly. Server seemed genuinely delighted to serve the food and interested in knowing how we liked it. Cute little place and a very inexpensive lunch in very expensive Carmel.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank cmcfong

Mundelein, Illinois
“Four Eggs, Four Pieces of Toast, Forty Plus Minutes”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

If I could leave a zero rating I would. We sat down at 10:10 for breakfast for two. We were keeping track of time due to the 2 hour parking limit on the Carmel streets. We wanted to shop for a while as well.

The tables had open uncovered bowls of sugar for coffee that were left from customer to customer - not so quaint when you can hear people at other tables sneezing and coughing. The menus were filthy, which made the whole experience see unclean from the start.

My wife and I each ordered breakfast consisting of two scrambled eggs with toast and juice, nothing fancy. Our juice orders came out within minutes, however, the people right next to us - who ordered seconds before we did - were eating well before they brought out a plate of jelly for our toast. We sat a bit longer but finally at 40 MINUTES into our wait, I asked the hostess if she could check on our food (we never saw our waitress after she took our order but my wife said she was talking on the phone and not waiting on anyone else). The hostess came back and said there was one more ticket before ours and she walked away. When she walked by again I asked her to see if they had started the food because if they hadn't, they could forget about it. She came back and rudely said, "your order is on the grill...you can do what you want" and she walked away again.

So, we dropped some cash on the table for our juice and walked out. No apology for the ridiculous time they took in NOT making our 4 eggs and dropping some bread in the toaster. After leaving I wished I would have left without giving them $10 for two glasses of juice (a large glass of OJ is $4.75!). Forty minutes of my life for a glass of juice. The other reviews sound wonderful, but that wasn't our experience at all. Can't rate food that we never received. Not worth taking the chance. Go somewhere else.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank JA2011
Massachusetts
“Lovely memory of this place”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We stopped by early on a Sunday morning for breakfast. We sat by an open window that looked out over a small garden and the street. Carmel is so sweet in the mornings. Wait staff was pleasant and attentive, food choices made it hard to decide and what we chose was great. Nice omelets, fruit, fresh squeezed OJ. Had a tremendous sense of well-being.

Los Angeles, California
“Lovely Little Place with the best Artichoke Soup ever!!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Visited Carmel in May and had the artichoke soup. Came back in September and my mouth was watering for the artichoke soup. I'd eat it every day I was there if my friends didn't mind going to the same restaurant over and over again... ;) The other menu items that I tried were all very good, also. Great service, with a friendly staff. Love the atmosphere, also!

California
“Our Favorite Carmel Spot”
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We've visited the Cottage twice now on weekend trips to Carmel, and it is our favorite spot to eat. It's cute and homey, the service is friendly and efficient and the food is fantastic. Amazing artichoke soup, baked brie and fruit board, and my son is STILL talking about the chocolate chip pancakes. You can't go wrong here.