“One of our favorites!”

san diego
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of our favorites!”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Always good service, not a big lunch menu but good food , very pleasant staff, laid back atmosphere.

Visited May 2011

Fairfax, Virginia
“I can't believe the positive reviews of this dump”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

No one's taste buds can be that insensitive, no one's patience can be that good. My wife and I ate lunch here because it looked cute with the little terrace overlooking the street. We should have ran away the minute we walked in. When asking the waitress for an outside table she responded with a long, "ummmm, ok." She did not smile and welcome us, nor did she introduce herself as is protocol for good service. The menu looked OK. My wife asked if they had hot tea, and the waitress didn't seem to know how to respond and said, "No, but we can make it" - what is there to make? You boil some water, pour it in a cup, and bring it out on a tray with some tea bags, sugar and milk... right?
Wrong, we sat at the table for about 20 min. before bread was served with a greasy nasty tapenade with the oil sitting on top, we had to mix it ourselves. We waited even longer for the Sprite that I ordered. 30 minutes later our meal arrived, but $14 for a tiny panini seemed ridiculously overpriced especially since it was the worst "mozzarella" I have ever tasted; the stuff was watery and tasteless fluff. The salads were wilted and brown, and the small side salad you get with your sandwich is different for each sandwich (but they don't indicate this on the menu). After the first ten minutes into our meal, the waitress told my wife, "they are making your tea right now." Again, what is there to make? Did they fly to Assam to gather tea leaves?
When the tea finally arrived, AFTER we had finished our pathetically small and tasteless panini, it was a small, tepid cup of water with a couple of bags of lipton on the side. The cup had lipstick stains all over it,( as did the napkin which had covered our bread basket).
How difficult is it to boil water? And if they couldn't accommodate my wife's request for hot tea, they should have simply said that they don't serve tea, and offered something else.
The manager brought our check; I thought he was coming to apologize for the poor service. He simply dropped the check on the table and mumbled, "here". No "did you enjoy your meal?" or anything. The service was atrocious and lacked the basic respect and courtesy expected at a restaurant.
I don't know what the positive reviewers here consider a good restaurant, but I would honestly rather eat at McDonalds than this place - it is the epitome of the pits. If I were on the Carmel CoC, I would run the owners and staff out of town.
Just awful, take your time and money elsewhere.

• Visited April 2012
5 Thank Thalassophia
Carmel, California
“Most enjoyable Sweet (Happy) Hour in Carmel!”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Dropped by on the recommendation of a friend and sampled some appetizers and wine (all half off). We enjoyed the special tomatoe-cheese dipping sauce served with the bread. He loved the shrimp sauteed in sun-dried tomatoes and white wine, I especially liked the grilled eggplant parmigiana. Since we were there early, we had a chance to chat with Salvadorean owner Miguel and his staff, all very welcoming and efficient. Located a block away from touristy Ocean Blvd (San Carlos between 7th and 8th), this restaurant is not as crowded, but offers a warm Italian atmosphere. "Dolce Hour" offers half off appetizers and wine by the glass is daily from 3-5:30pm during off season. The rooftop terrace will be very inviting once the weather warms up a bit and we look forward to returning soon!

• Visited March 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Worth a try!”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We happened upon this small place while out for a walk and decided to give it a try. We had a nice bottle of wine shared a ceasar salad that was very good, and two different entrees. Both were very good. The bread dip they served was very unique and very tasty. I would recommend giving this place a try for sure.

Visited February 2012
Victoria, Canada
“sublime”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

What a lovely dinner: outstanding menu, friendly staff with bend over backwards service, cozy ambiance, fabulously fresh and delectable dishes. A perfect evening.

• Visited October 2011