“Great breakfast”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Redwood City, California
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Charming small french bistro (seats 40-ish) cranks out fabulous blueberry waffles with addictive maple suryp and a unique crab benedict with three poached eggs and a side of potatoes. Big portions! Friendly, welcoming service and reasonable prices. It does get busy but it's worth the wait.

Visited March 2013

Long Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“French toast - Oh yeah”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The French toast is some of the best I've ever had and the syrup is amazing. Mushroom/spinach omelet was great as well.

The service was perfect and friendly, the place is cozy and nice - Go here

• Visited January 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Cozy, yet satisfying, dining experience”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

During a weekend visit to the Monterey Peninsula which included some time spent in Carmel, I stopped at Em Le's for dinner. I had chosen this based on feedback from people I trust, and its reputation for great breakfasts. I figured that if the breakfasts were good, the other meals would be just fine.

The restaurant is easy to find, though don't expect to find parking on the same block. But that is not unique to Em Le's; plan to find parking in downtown Carmel where you can, and be ready to walk at least a couple of blocks. As with a lot of the restaurants in downtown Carmel - is small and somewhat tight. So with that in mind, diners are encouraged to plan accordingly, and perhaps adjust your normal dinner "schedule" to eat a little earlier in the evening. This is especially true on a weekend when the tourist crowds descend on Carmel. I arrived at around 5:45pm, and was one of only four in the restaurant. By the time I left about 40-45 minutes later, there were about a dozen or more who had arrived, and the space to move around comfortably had rapidly decreased.

While one of the bigger parties who arrived were a little louder than they needed to be, Em Le's deserves a lot of credit for trying to minimize the disruption to other diners, and not adding to the din by playing loud music or television. In fact, they had switched over to a classic jazz music channel that was played at an enjoyable level.

Em Le's does not have a specific cuisine, so there are options for most tastes (seafood, beef, chicken, lamb, salads, etc.). Another plus in eating dinner earlier is taking advantage of their "early bird" specials. Most of these specials are commonly derided - and justifiably so - at many establishments, but not so here. At Em Le's, the "early bird" covers at least a dozen of their main entrees - all in their regular portions - but including soup or salad, and about $5 off the regular menu price. It should be noted that their prices - particularly based on the location and other options - are entirely reasonable, so $5 off for "early bird" makes for an even better deal.

Service was prompt and very courteous. As virtually all of my business and leisure travel is solo, I am more finely attuned to how I am treated in restaurants. I feel that how restaurants treat their solo diners is much more indicative of customer service than in a group setting. The waiter and manager at Em Le's treated me well, and did not make me feel like a "lesser" patron because I was by myself. I was very satisfied with the customer experience in that regard. I was also impressed at how the courses were staged. All were delivered very promptly, and as I finished my salad, my entree arrived straight from the kitchen without having been sitting around. I really appreciated how they pulled this off, and did not feel rushed at any point of my dinner.

All in all, I was entirely satisfied with my dinner at Em Le's. It was not a dazzling experience, though I was not looking for that. It was just a solid, satisfying experience in which I was treated well, had a very good meal for what I felt was a bargain price, and was treated well by the staff. I don't know that Em Le's is a destination for large groups (any over four), and perhaps not for smaller children. But I would recommend it to all travelers, and would not hesitate to return on a future visit to Carmel.

• Visited January 2013
Elk Grove, CA
“Quaint place for eats!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We came here for breakfast and we're always pleased by this restaurant. It's good service and good food. Portions were good and filling. The restaurant only seats 41, so be warned.

• Visited December 2012
Fairfield, California
“Boring and bad”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Very over priced mediocre food. Come on its breakfast how can you mess that up? If you order pancakes at a restaurant they should taste amazing not like out of a box. Served too simply... No butter, no fruit garnish. Just dry pancakes dumped on a plate. Honey syrup was served but I expect more when I order breakfast out.