“DOUBLE CHARGED CREDIT CARD”

Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 26 Carmel B&B and Inns
Davenport, Iowa
“DOUBLE CHARGED CREDIT CARD”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

To make a long story short, we made reservations in Nov. 2011 for a 3 night stay in sept. 2012 and were billed for it at the time of reservations, this was fine, so when we showed up on Sept 22, 2012, we knew we owed nothing for our stay. I made sure of this when I registsered and the clerk told me I was all set. We had no complaints during our stay, but a couple of weeks later after we returned home, we received our credit card bill for Sept, and I immediately noticed we were charged again for another 3 night stay. I called right away and asked the clerk to have the manager call me, which he did and he gave me a rediculous story about how he had taken over for the previous owner who fled town, and of course with our prepaid payment, and he didnt think he should lose this money. He never mentioned before we showed up or when we showed up that he was going to charge us again. We are not responsible for paying this a second time, when you take over a business, you take on all the negative issues with it. He told us to take it up with our credit card company and file a dispute with them, which is just what we did. Please people, pay attention to this, you could be next.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frank b
Brian L, Public Relations Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
We apologize on behalf of the old owner who is now wanted and did many things to give this Inn a bad reputation. As I stated with you before, all you had to call your credit card company with the amount that he charged you because what he did was illegal. The new ownership has nothing to do with the old owner so that is why I suggested to call the credit card company about this issue. Instead you think we double charged you, but only charged you the night you stayed with us. I am sorry it didn't work out as planned. I hope you have a better experience the next time you are in Carmel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I'm from New Hampshire and this was my first time coming to the west coast, and I must say, I had a great experience at Crystal Carmel Inn. After 7 hours of flight and being exhausted from traveling, I was warmly welcomed by the front desk staff who made the check-in process easy. The lobby is so cute with their victorian decor and furnishings. They even provide a complementary breakfast each morning with fresh fruit, juice, eggs, and pastries. I stayed in the Honeymoon suite which has a romantic four poster bed and jacuzzi bath tub. I recommend this for any couple.

TIP: the front desk staff is so knowledgable about the area and if you ask about restaurants, they will give great recommendations and will book you a great table. They called in a reservation for me and the restaurant knew exactly who they were and gave us complimentary dishes! Definitely coming back here again when I visit Carmel.

Room Tip: Get the honeymoon suite! Also ask for the rooms facing the garden. The garden has beautiful flowers...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jon T
Torrance
Reviewed October 12, 2012

PLEASE do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I have NEVER been treated so rudely by anyone, let alone hotel management. I wont go into the details. All I can say is the two men at the front desk were rude, disrespectful, need a lesson in customer service, and basic social skills. I was told just an hour before I arrived that my reservation was going to be accepted. When I got there they did NOT accept my reservation, the person I spoke to changed his story, made me feel like I was lying to them, and I basically left almost in tears. AND the BEST part. They wouldnt refund my money! When I called expedia to attempt a refund. The operator at Expedia called the hotel. She then got back on the line with me and told me they would not give me a refund. She did offer me a credit voucher which helped.
Long story short!!!! PLEASE do not stay at this hotel. Save yourself the hassle. There are plenty other nice hotels in Carmel than to waste your time at this one.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bakdok
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I would like it if everyone would let us give our side of the story. First of all this lady booked through Expedia and on Expedia it says no pets allowed. She brought a pet anyway from a 8 hour drive. The new ownership does not allow pets because of all the problems we have noticed it was causing after the new ownership change that happened recently. We told her that we are sorry that we do not accept pets and even on the website that she booked on, it clearly states no pets allowed. She started to yell at the the front desk staff and I, and we were shocked. She said she was not wrong and she did see it say we allowed pets, but I was sure we didn't because I knew when we changed the policy and the date that she booked was far after the policy change. She continued to yell at us and curse and never calmed down. At that point I told her if she could show me if it said somewhere on the website if we accepted pets I would let her stay. She was on her computer for 30 minutes on a one page website trying to find it. She kept cursing at us. I understand she came from a 8 hour drive, but she wanted to let us know 1 hour away from the hotel that she had a dog.
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Booked a courtyard room but given one facing one of the main roads out of Carmel above the reception/Dining room, carpet was dirty and threadbare remainder of room needed re-decoration and new soft furnishings as did the dated reception area.
As our room was on the first floor and the only access by stairway we struggled to get our luggage to the room, no help was offered.
Room access was obtained by a keycode system which was so worn the numbers could be worked out by the shiny buttons, their was nothing to stop anyone who had stayed in he room earlier to return if they were of a dishonest nature
There were ongoing repairs to the buildings with bare plasterboard and peeling paint showing in numerous places.
The staff were friendly and accomadating, the breakfast was exceptional with fresh fruit,various breads cereals and drinks.

Room Tip: Get a courtyard room, less noise
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian L, Guest Relations Manager at Vendange Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I am sorry your experience wasn't pleasant here. The old owner ran down the property and as soon as the new owner took over we have been trying to make drastic changes to improve the quality of this Inn. We change the key codes all the time now since it is under new ownership and we already have on order new types of key cards where they are going to be programmed right as you check in. This will make you, the guest feel much more safe because they will have an expiration date for each reservation on the day they check out. Everything in the room will be brand new and updated, even the beds!!! I hope you come back to see the place when it is finished.
Burnsville, NC
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked this hotel through bookings.com which has a no cancellation policy.
It looked nice enough upon checking in and Nicholas, the young man at the front desk was most helpful.
However, before I could even wash my hands, I got a phone call informing me that there would be no water for at least an hour. I had planned to shower and picnic in the room but had to change plans and went out to eat. I asked about a discount and it was denied.
In the room I was in the head of the bed was located against the wall shared with the kitchen and poor isolation allowed me to follow entire conversations from the other side.
Located on the first floor the room was easy to access and the bathroom was clean thanks to the personal who not only works very hard during breakfast but also servicesthe rooms. Breakfast was adequate but from where I sat I could see dishes were being washed by hand, not very sanitary.
There was very little interaction with the other guests and the seating was not very comfortable: there was with only a few chairs around the table and other seats by coffee tables. The manager/owner? was present at the front desk. She was dressed for business but maybe is in the wrong one. She never interacted with the guests and when informed by one that the lids did not match the coffee cup to go, she sounded annoyed and said "well, that, all we have" and went back to sit.behind the desk. I ran a B&B for over 10 years and I wanted to apologize to the guest. She did not offer goodbye greetings either.I was told the place is under new management, there is definitely room for improvement.
The gardens are lovely but the picnic area is shabby.
Overall, I would not recommend this place to friends but if you are on a budget you might out up with some inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CecileWNC
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Super cute kitsch place. The breakfast was so cute. They were playing supremes and other 60s girl groups while we had our fruit and coffee in the adorable lobby area. The rooms were shabby chic and lovely. We were pleasantly surprised!

2 Thank cthorstvedt
Ware, Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Shame it doesn't look as good as the website photos as the room looked tired and the wallpaper was peeling in places. Could do with a redecoration as the gardens seemed well cared for. It was a shame as the layout of the hotel was interesting with seperate accomodation buildings and the location was handy to get to Monterey. We booked 1 night as we had a whale watching trip booked the next morning and had to leave for Monterey by 8am at the latest. When checking in the receptionist said the reception and breakfast did not open until 8am and they couldn't make an exception for us. We felt like we were inconveniencing them for the sake of just 15 minutes and, even though breakfast was included in the price, no offer of making us a take out/pack up was made.