“Simply delightful place”

Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We drove from Reno to Sacramento, stayed overnight and then drove to Monterey/Carmel. We found the Comfort Inn purely by accident and wanted out of the stream of traffic on Route 1. We checked in early and enjoyed a bottle of wine and conversation with several other guests on the sunny patio. Parking was easy and the restaurants were within easy walking distance. Susie was very helpful. Our room was just delightful-- quiet, clean. My wife and I will stay here again on our infrequent trips to Carmel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rick F
ComfortCA845, Manager at Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Comfort Inn Carmel. We always appreciate when a guest takes time to share their positive moments during there stay. I will pass along your compliments the Susi she does a tremendous job is taking care of each guest. We hope to see you soon at the Comfort Inn Carmel!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

After a long drive down from SF , we didn't have anything booked to stay in as we weren't sure how far we would drive that day , We decided on Carmel as it a pretty little town . We called into the Comfort Inn and straight away the manager gave us a discount rate . The hotel is clean and comfortable . There's a complimentary breakfast served each morning which included sausage patties , eggs , waffles , cereal , toast , yoghurts tea and coffee . The hotel sits at the start of the ocean ave shopping district and makes it very easy to walk around the town .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank CM_1972
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our stay in Carmel was very pleasant as we were given an early check-in! It was a Friday at 12noon and we had just arrived from Fresno, Ca. It made a huge difference to check in early instead of 3p. It allowed us not to worry about where to park our car and we could freshen up before we explored the downtown area. The location is excellent. It's at the top of Ocean Ave and is in walking distance to all the restaurants, galleries, shopping, the beach and even a grocery store (rooms have refrig). The room was modernly renovated but still had the charm of Carmel with a courtyard and flowers.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mph903
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This pretty little hotel was very clean and had a peaceful charm about it. The location is perfect for shopping and restaurants. Susie was very kind to help me with my midnight arrival. I plan to stay here again on my next visit to Carmel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank CSF54
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had a decent stay at this hotel, we liked our room (much more interesting than the usual Comfort Inn we have experienced - older, and with more character), and the location was wonderful (right next to downtown - easy walking everywhere, and very close to a grocery store). The stay was odd because of the woman at the front desk - she was quite abrupt when I checked in, and seemed like she was trying to get me out the door as quickly as she could (I asked if she had any maps of the Big Sur and she said "yes, you can look at it in the morning" even though she had a whole stack of maps available which she could have easily directed me to). The next morning she sternly said to my husband that the breakfast was self serve, and as we were leaving she whispered to me that she hoped I would "make nice" in a review. The hotel was nice, but she was pretty unpleasant, and seemed to stare at people disapprovingly during breakfast. I think maybe she should let someone with better customer service skills work the front desk.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kathbrarian
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay in Carmel , last minute. We called and spoke to Susie the owner who was very pleasant and accommodating . We we very pleasantly surprised at the location of the inn which was walking minutes away from downtown Carmel . The room was very clean and the price was right. We will defiantly be returning regularly.it was great to be able to park our car and be within walking distance of everything.
Strongly recommend if you want great value and clean rooms
Belinda and Patrick

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda S
Reviewed August 23, 2013

It was our first time in Comfort Inn and we chose it only because of the price (because Carmel is already overpriced especially during the high season) and there was no other option for us in the center of the town. We also liked the possibility to park on site, and the location of the B&B itself.
I had bad vibes when I first called in to make sure they could provide a crib for our 1 year old baby and the receptionist almost hang up on me.
Unfortunately, our stay did not live up to our expectations. Dark, run down, small, unstylish room. Very noisy due to the thin walls. It reminded me of the hostels I have been to when I was young.
Staff had a very unfriendly attitude, despite the efforts to the face. None of our minor requests were addressed, only to receive dismissive answers.
Breakfast was nothing special. One of those that require an early lunch.

Generally speaking, Carmel is overpriced and this hotel is no exception. There are several hundred cosy, beautiful, rewarding destinations around the world that deserve more, A couple of nights stay anywhere in California already pays for the airline ticket to Europe (or elsewhere).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family