“Wide wine selection”
Review of Rio Grill

Rio Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Rio Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 160 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Road
Transit: Public Transit is just a few yards from the restaurant.
Description: Rio Grill, located in the Crossroads in Carmel, has been the place to meet friends, enjoy tasty, flavorful food and relax with a refreshing cocktail or glass of wine for over 28 Years. Chef Yontz' creative American dishes are some of the most flavorful, colorful and vibrant on the Monterey Peninsula and celebrate flavor in every mouthwatering bite! In addition to the main dining room, Rio Grill has a comfortable lounge and full bar serving refreshing libations including the restaurant's famous "Rio Rita." The bar is lined with colorful caricatures of local faces and celebrities. Rio Grill's award-winning wine list features more than 160 labels featuring a ton of local wineries and an extensive selection available by the glass. For more information on Rio Grill, please visit our website at riogrillcom. The restaurant opens for lunch every day at 11:30 and serves straight through until 9:30 PM. Rio also serves a great brunch on Sundays from 11:30 - 3:00PM. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:30 and Sunday 4:00-6:30.
Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

For the food I would rate this place 3, but atmosphere and wine are giving additional value. Atmosphere is charming and relaxing, the iPad they give you as a wine list is gorgeous for variety: local, domestic, international for all kind of wine. On Monday you can have most of the bottles with 50% discount. Staff is attentive and ready to suggest to match food and wine.

There are newer reviews for Rio Grill

Reviewed August 28, 2014

Absolutely my favorite restaurant on the planet. I always make a point to eat @ The Rio when I am in the Carmel Valley area. Service is very good and attentive, plenty of parking @ the Crossroads Shp Ctr, and in one of the prettiest area in CA. Their specials are great and I try them often, but when it comes to the appetizers there are a couple of must order dishes: grilled polenta, roasted garlic, and french fried onion strings. As for dessert, you need to try the Ice Cream Sandwich ... it rocks. Cocktails, try the Gin Ricky .. very refreshing.

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch at Rio grill. The food is excellent and the cocktails were exceptional. Both the decor and service get high marks.

Being a cocktail enthusiast, I appreciate a strong bar program and the Rio Grill delivers. The Elyx de Vita was my favorite of the cocktails. For my entree, I had the pumpkin crusted salmon which was outstanding. Dessert was the olallieberry pie which was superb.

Our server was both knowledgable and personable. The decor has a Southwest theme and is very tasteful.

Will definitely be back when I next visit Carmel.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Nice location - plenty of parking. Ambience - subtle southwest, very inviting. Table settings - beautiful on white table cloths. Service - decent, fast, attentive and efficient.
Food - the dinner menu is small but don't let that fool you. The appetizers are superbly prepared and well presented but are usually just for one person. If you are thinking family style - forget it. The soup - a seafood chowder was almost a complete meal - good portion of seafood in a well balanced creamy soup. The entrées - more non-veg than veg of course, as it is a "grill". We were a party of 6 adults - the four non-veg dishes were tasty and very well presented. The pork shank was simply superb - crispy on the outside and moist and tender on the inside with a bold sauce hinting of some eastern spice; but not spicy. The short stack of pork ribs was tender and excellent. On the veg side, the poblano pepper - stuffed and served in a pond of exquisite sauce was a hit. It was very well balanced and the flavors all came together splendidly. This could be a signature dish! Alas, one flaw and I say this most respectfully - the ravioli was a disaster. It was hard and chewy to begin with and I could almost overlook that but the sauce was the real disaster. It was supposed to be a broth with flavors of saffron. But the broth was watery and I was hard pressed to find any evidence of saffron. This dish needs a lot of work or it should be replaced. Over all, a great restaurant. Price - about 40 bucks per head without wine or hard drinks. It is worth it. Just do it!

Reviewed August 22, 2014

The Rio Grill has something for everybody and it is good. We ate here for lunch before and said we needed to come back for dinner sometime. So, we did. We ordered an appetizer of smoked tri-tip empanadas with Hatch green chile and avocado crema. For entrées, my wife ordered the house smoked half chicken with mild-smoked chile butter, baby artichokes and red potatoes and I ordered the poblano pepper stuffed with quinoa, corn, beets, Cotjia cheese and pea shoots. We split our entrées and it was all good. Check it out, you will enjoy it.