“Northern Italy in Carmel”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Carmel, Il Fornaio offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch. Reservation Confirmation Message: Thank you for choosing Il Fornaio - Carmel. Should your plans change, please let us know. We look forward to serving you Grazie e Ciao
Reviewed May 10, 2014

This restaurant was just great! A fantastic menu of dishes I've had in Northern Italy; far from your standard Italian fare. Wine selection was superb. Aesthetics were nice, with proper location on Ocean Avenue.

Really nice!!!

1  Thank ejohnk

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I were staying in Carmel and walking the town, looking for an early dinner and saw the roof top patio at Il Fornaio. We were quickly seated and brought menus and bread. By the time our drinks came out the fog had unexpectedly rolled in and we asked if the heater could be put on. Unfortunately they were out of propane. The manager personally came out to our table and invited us to move inside to a quite table near the front window. I specifically want to point out that this manager was very busy working the floor and making sure all his customers were happy and checking in on all the tables. He even talked to us about Carmel for a minute (as we were tourists) how dog friendly the town is, etc. ;) Very pleasant to take a moment with us and make us comfortable inside. The waiter was also very quick and the meal was served promptly. My husband had a pasta with meat sauce dish and I had a roasted chicken with vegetables. Both were excellent. We would definitely return.

1  Thank LisaPerlman
John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We're so happy you had a great experience here. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for taking the time to share your memorable experience.
ciao, Linda

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We arrived at Il Fornaio with reservations and was quickly seated. We were asked if first time visitor which we were. Because it was our visit, we were given some delicious appetizers (no charge) prior to ordering our meal.
We ordered a pasta and a lasagna, both delicious. We were also given a dessert on the house.
Our server was attentive and helpful. We would definitely enjoy a return to Il Fornaio on our next trip to Carmel.

1  Thank 228Marilyn1016
John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Again Happy Anniversary. Thank you for choosing Il Fornaio as you destination for your celebration. Thank you also for taking the time to share your experience with your review. We appreciate that. We look forward to your next visit. Thanks again, Linda

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had lunch on the balcony on Easter Sunday and it was fantastic. The service really catered to having a relaxing meal, rather than a rushed one. I had the gluten free pasta with octopus and cherry tomatoes, which was delicious and didn't leave me overly stuffed.

Definitely have lunch on the balcony here!

John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're so glad you got a chance to enjoy our newly remodeled balcony/patio. We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again. All the best to you, Linda

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I seriously doubt that anyone involved in this restaurant has actually ever been to Italy. The chef could benefit from some cooking lessons and the staff some lessons in politeness.

We almost walked out when the host sneered at us whilst trying to locate our reservation then slung the menus down on the table. I wish I had trusted my instinct and left!

The porcini pasta was good quality porcini. But more to the point the pasta was over cooked and I don't think any salt had been added to the pan. Completely flavourless. My husband's wild boar pasta was watery.

They were out of the wine we ordered and the bottle we got instead was far too warm. We asked for an ice bucket, by the time it arrived we were half way through our meal.

I would not recommend going to this restaurant.

1  Thank Ellie_CR
John R, Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello -
Thank you for your feedback. I am horrified that you had the experience you describe here. I am truly sorry you were so disappointed. We hope you will give us another chance. We'd like to invite you back as our guest. Feel free to contact me directly or ask for the manger on duty and we will make sure you have a positively memorable experience. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.
Linda