“GREAT FOOD;GREAT SERVICE”

A W Shucks
Ranked #11 of 156 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Carolina
“GREAT FOOD;GREAT SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My wife and I ate here twice on our last visit to Carmel. We go visit every year and make at least one trip to AW's. I always have the Crab cakes and Cesear salad and they are always great. My wife loves there chowder and crusty french bread. This time was special as one of our favorite waiters from Jack London's now manages the place (while still working there at night) and it was great to see him.He also served us at Jack's later in the week.. For great food at a laid back place-DON'T MISS IT!

1 Thank Floydtalbe

Baltimore, Maryland
“Great seafood, efficient service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

My wife and I stopped in for lunch en route from Paso Robles to Monterey. We sat at the bar where the busy chefs took our orders and got right to work preparing our meals. The ample wine and beer list provided for our drinks, which arrived promptly, and which we sipped as we watched our food being prepared. My wife had a crab cake salad, which came with two huge cakes. Being from Maryland where crab rules, we were a bit disappointed with these cakes due to the abundance of filler, but they were delicious nevertheless. I had a crab salad that was heaped with crabmeat: also delicious. The small cup of dressing was insufficient (due to the size of the salad) prompting me to request some more. The lady next to me had the raw oysters, which had me looking forward to our next visit.

Fort Worth, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No frills Oyster Bar on Ocean Ave - Yes Please!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2010

AW Shucks was our first stop after getting into town (our 4th trip to Carmel). I was dreaming of the Calamari and Chips on the plane and they did not disappoint. We've been to AS at least 4 times and each experience was good. The food is good and reasonably priced, but really it's the location and atmosphere that make AW Shucks great. We love sitting at the bar having calamari and a local brew with the cool ocean air coming in off of Ocean Ave. Hard experience to beat!

Sunnyvale, California
“Yummmmmm - seafood is done right here.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Yummmmmmmmm - seafood is done right here. We ordered a louie salad and a simple cheddar hamburger and both met the mark. The decor is great ... just a little dive bar with great painted walls. Healthy, and surprisingly fresh - not greasy. Hours are great too, if you just want to pop in for a drink or a late lunch or snack.

San Francisco, CA
“Excellent Clam Chowder- Friendly Owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

Carmel has the reputation of being very snooty and a playground simply for the rich and famous. A W Shucks completely defies this stereotype. The inside of this small restaurant has the feel of a dive bar and is no frills. My wife and I sat at the bar to have a few cocktails, some oysters, and a cup of clam chowder. The two owners, Mike and Michelle, are very friendly and treat every customer like family. The Clam Chowder was was a mix of Manhatten and New England- A "Rose" Chowder as Mike put it. The chowder was creamy and fantastic.. My wife, who had never had an oyster before, was given a free one by Mike, so that she could say that she had tried one.. The cocktails were fantastic and the Fried Calimari we ordered was crispy and not too greasy. I also ordered a burger which was equally good. If your in Carmel and you do not want pretentious, over the top, and insanely expensive food... A W Shucks is definitly the place to go for a few beers and some good pub fare..

1 Thank capatchman