“Very hard to find, but great food”

From Scratch Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Located in the LOWER level of the Barnyard Shopping Village - below Bay Bikes. The back stairs face Highway One. Since 1977, this charming, family owned restaurant has been serving breakfast and lunch made from the freshest of ingredients lovingly prepared by an expert chef. From Eggs Benedict to made-to-order omelettes to the best Huevos Rancheros around, it's impossible to beat their award-winning breakfasts. The restaurant is available for private parties in the evening. Enjoy your meal inside next to the fireplace or outside on remodeled patio. Pet friendly! We hope to see you soon. Come check out our new Burger Menu!
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The first time you come here and finding it may mar your enjoyment of the place due to it's hard to find. You may rate this awesome on your second or third visit when you can make a beeline for the restaurant and not wander aimlessly around the Barnyard to find the restaurant. Let me save you some time-The signs point towards it, but there is no signage on the actual window of the restaurant. It's below the Bay Cycles shop, and it's next to a small fitness center that you may think is a part of the restaurant, but no it's small as well and what you are looking at really is the restaurant. Once you get in there, it's great food and OJ. Big portions on everything, I couldn't finish my cinnamon french toast, and it was really rich and yummy. The prices of the food are really quite reasonable, and the servers were really quite helpful.

1  Thank raininroses

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Let me explain the "qualified five" title. When I checked "yes" as to whether this was one of the best meals "you've ever had in a restaurant", the "you" refers to me, not to my wife, and to one particular menu item, the "Huevos Rancheros". I try "Huevos Rancheros" wherever I think they may be superior, and since I love that dish, I have ordered it many times, in many places, including various parts of Mexico and New Mexico. I like the truly "authentic" versions and also those properly tweaked some gringo way, but as with most things the mediocre forms abound. On the basis of this background, I give a double thumbs up to the From Scratch version of this classic dish. If you're a "Huevos Rancheros" lover, or simply love to experiment with something new, this is the place to enjoy an example of the highest standard. As I found out later, the cook who prepared it is Oaxacan, and he knows his stuff. I recommend the dish with the blue corn tortillas (the classic in Mexico) and the black beans (don't think that was an option but it might have been). Next time I will ask for 4 of the tortillas rather than the standard two and save myself having to get up to seek out my waitress with that request. It took a little while for that request to be fulfilled because, thankfully, these tortillas are hand cooked on the comal (hot plate) as opposed to thrown into the microwave. In short, I found my Huevos Rancheros to be among the best I've tried. I would always make the admonition that "your mileage may vary" since this is the only time I've tried the dish at this restaurant and we all know that consistency in our positive relationships with restaurant food is always the ultimate determinant of quality and satisfaction. I should add that the amount of food on the plate was quite satisfying but I was voracious enough to also order one buttermilk pancake, and while it was not necessarily the superlative equal of the Huevos Rancheros, it was very good indeed.

My wife's rating is 4.25 stars for the overall experience. She enjoyed her omelette very much, the coffee was quite good, the service very friendly, if not the most perfectly expeditious, and the prices very reasonable for the ample portions given. We both found the patio experience delightful, in the company of our small dog, and on a day in January when the weather was incredibly beautiful.

In short, I give the Huevos Rancheros an unqualified 5 stars and both my wife and I agree that From Scratch will be our first choice for a breakfast, and maybe a lunch, the next time we're in the Carmel area. While not far away at all, the location is a little tricky to drive to the first time so I recommend having the address locked into your GPS on your first visit. There is easy parking at the mini shopping center. From your parking spot you walk directly into the center of the small cluster of buildings and you'll find the restaurant on the ground floor where the outdoor patio dining part is easily visible. I don't think there are obvious signs that otherwise advertise it from the outside.

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

I ate here because it was one of the higher rated restaurants in the area..and I'm sure glad I did. All the food was excellent. Everything tasted like it was homemade hence the name "from scratch". We were so pleased with this place, we ate there again the following day. The breakfast burrito is one the best I've ever had. The banana pancakes and omlettes were so delicious. My whole party loved it. Next time I'm in Carmel I will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Hubby and I live locally and woke up Sunday morning hungry for a big breakfast. I googled breakfast Carmel and this came up as number four. Hard to find, so take my tip and just drive around the back of the Barnyard property and park back there. However a walk through the Barnyard gardens is always a treat. If you are lucky it is a Lottery, weather wise you can sit outside. However Carmel is known for its fog and inside is cozy atmosphere and the menu is awesome. Hubby got the bacon cheese omelette and I got the house made corned beef hash with poached eggs and fruit. Huge servings here, bomb coffee, huge mimosas and great service.

1  Thank vdoolittle
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Nice outdoor patio, perfect for dining with our dog. Covered by trellis, so it's not completely sheltered, but the restaurant is tucked back on the bottom floor and sheltered by the surrounding shops for a very quiet and pleasant area. Never ate inside, but it seems even more compact and crowded inside.

Prices are a bit on the high side especially considering the smaller portion sizes, but this is Carmel after all -- not a place to stuff yourself, but quality is pretty good. Absolutely love the corned beef hash -- nice big chunks of real corned beef so it tastes like you're eating corned beef (and not just salty mush or tiny reddish brown bits...)

1  Thank Michael H