“Def worth a visit but make sure you book”
Review of Nico

Nico
Ranked #107 of 159 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

2 week holiday in California and this was by far the best meal. One of the few restaurants, if not the only one I would have to return to.

1  Thank HertsRwf

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great service and atmosphere. I wanted sand dabs so did a search for "best sand dabs, Carmel"
Was not disappointed. I couldn't decide between piccata and romanesca so was offered a combo. YUM! The bread is wonderful and the sun-dried tomato dipping sauce was beyond description. We also ordered roasted garlic and pear/arugula salad. Everything was so good I was almost too full to enjoy the main course....but I did anyway! My friend had the spinach pasta and did not care for it but since I didn't try it I can't comment. We both agreed the service and everything else was superb and would go back.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great food, my wife and I always enjoy eating here when we visit Carmel. They serve you a lot of food and they serve you with confidence because of how good the food is. Great place to eat.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The benchmark for Sand Dabs are the ones served at the famous Tadich Grill in San Francisco. Anyone who has experienced them knows they are an extremely delicate fish that must be pan fried with a minimum of breading. So it was a great disappointment on a recent visit to Carmel to have Sand Dabs in three different restaurants that were all served with a breading so heavy you could barely taste the fish. At Nico, our fourth try, we only risked ordering them because the owner swore he used a minimum of breading. The result? Dusted with flour and pan fried with cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs, these are the best Sand Dabs we've tasted since the Tadich Grill many years ago. As an appetizer, we ordered the pear and arugula salad with a very light blue cheese vinaigrette--a spectacular success. Maybe the food at Nico is so good because the owner is heavily involved in the operation. He aids his waiters in clearing the tables and is always ready to answer questions and give his opinions about menu items. The only reason Nico doesn't get an excellent rating is its wine list. There are no wines by the glass and of the 40 wines on the list, only 9 are under $40. and none are under $33.
So although the food is reasonably priced, if you drink wine, it's going to be an expensive dinner.

1  Thank ThomasSantaBarbara
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Nico's has new owners and while it was a week night and quiet, it filled up as we were leaving. Service was quick, so much so we had to tell them we hadn't see our friend so we'll be chatting a bit. Food was excellent and we would recommend it as always.