“Excellent Octopus Appetizer” 4 of 5 stars

La Balena
Ranked #33 of 153 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Excellent Octopus Appetizer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food was delicious, especially the octopus appetizer which had a rich, smokey taste.Service was good, but not outstanding. Try not to be seated in the dining area next to the kitchen as it gets smoky from the grill.

• Visited October 2013

Savannah, Georgia
“Charming little restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Visited La Balena recently because of the good reviews. Though we enjoyed setting, the meal was sort of average. I tried the Tagliatelle Nere. The pasta was unusual to say the least and I thought it was an odd pairing with fairly delicate seafood. Maybe I'm just not into `California Italian'.
We sat in the rear patio which is fairly cramped quarters to begin with, but a party of 6 or 7 had to squeeze in through a backdoor opening and with dogs in tow. I think I'll skip this one next time I'm in Carmel.

“Nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Wrong entre was delivered. Waiter then asked if I wanted another entree, which also was not what I ordered,
By time my food arrived(just pasta) my date was partially done and remainder cold as a glacier.

Waiter not helpful when I pointed this out,

For$160 you expect what you order and for both orders to arrive at the same time, it was Judy pasta in cream sauce

Stay away

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Atmeeder
Carmel, California, United States
“Never got served - totally ignored”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We went to La Balena because of the good reviews. After sitting down, we waited for at least 10 minutes and the waiter could not be bothered to even approach our table. He was too enamored of another table where we could hear him explaining the menu items, the wine list, and all of the other details. The food might be good (we never found out) but there are so many restaurants in Carmel which provide excellent service why bother with one that does not.

1 Thank 611rickz
San Antonio, TX
“Hottest new restaurant in Carmel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Small and charming restaurant. The best gnocchi I have ever tasted. Excellent fried chicken but only available 2 nights a week. Request outside seating because on a crowded night the inside is very noisy.

• 5 of 5 stars