“Excellent and Innovative Italian”
Review of La Balena

La Balena
Ranked #16 of 152 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Wonderful restaurant with great outdoor seating in back and in front. The octopus with melon was one of the best appetizers I have ever had. We shared the osso buco which was made with lamb instead of veal and topped with a mint gremolata. Different and delicious. The wine list was very interesting and reasonably priced. The portions are very large and we shared the octopus and the lamb and were quite satisfied. The olive oil served with the bread is also excellent. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is especially friendly to dogs and they put out water for them.

1  Thank SuzC

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We are foodies. We live in Northeast and eat regularly in Manhattan. We've also been to Italy. There is a certain level of excellence we expect from our Italian food... and this place totally hit the mark. After a very poor meal at a different Italian place in Carmel on our first night there... we tried La Balena on our second night. The restaurant was packed but we were offered a table on their private outdoor patio right away. It was a cold night but their outdoor heaters kept us comfortable throughout our meal. I love seeing lardo on a menu! It's like a green flag telling me that the chef is Italian! The octopus app was truly amazing and PERFECTLY cooked (which isnt easy when it comes to octopus). Our desserts were also fantastic (I ordered two and I'm proud of it). We talked with the owner at length after our meal. He knows his stuff, has worked for well-known chefs (Battali), and understands the way real Italian food should taste. I can't say enough about this place... it felt like a little slice of home in Carmel. Don't miss it. It's truly authentic.

1  Thank Beng55
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had the fried chicken and pasta with salads. Very good, fresh ingredients all around. $130 for two with wine, taxes, tip.

1  Thank SydH
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Walking in we weren't expecting very much. Very few inside tables and a very limited menu but everything we tried was wonderful. The staff was very attentive and very professional. The restaurant was recommended to us by the Tickle Pink Inn. It was great!

1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We lived in Italy for 2 years and I can be a snob when it comes to Italian food- especially Italian cuisine labeled as Tuscan. My husband took me here for my birthday and it was AMAZING! We happened there on a night of free wine tasting which was also great. We ended up sharing the table with the part owner of the vineyard that was doing the tasting. So, we ended up eating typical family style and shared each other's plates. My husband ordered the pairing menu, which was an amazing value. I had the boar pasta- oh my, my mouth is watering, thinking of it now as I write this. Upon finding out it was my birthday the served us little glasses of prosecco to go with a huge slice of the most amazing chocolate cake. The whole night took me back to Italy and it was perfect.

1  Thank ebbosse