WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #2 of 153 Restaurants in Carmel
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
El Dorado Hills, California
“A fun unique experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is our second visit and while the first was outstanding, this time was magic. We can strongly recommend the unique Clay Pot Dinner that was cooked at our table for 2 or more persons. We were a party of six which made the experience even more enjoyable.You can have seafood or beef, fresh vegetables, tofu, mushrooms, rice noodles, cooked in broth, all served with various dipping sauces and steamed rice. Not only is it a taste experience but healthy too.

Visited January 2014

Toronto
“Tuna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Don't let the stairs down to the lower level deter you. One of the best tuna dishes I have ever had. Friendly efficient service!!

Visited January 2014
Manhattan, KS
“Cozy place & delicious/creative food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Based on reviews by other TripAdvisor reviewers, my husband and I went to dinner at Flying Fish Grill. We made reservations and were very glad we had, because they were very busy on a weekend night (this was right after Christmas when Carmel is packed with tourists). The food was delicious. The won tons and "salsa" are so good. I seriously need the recipe. For our entree, my husband ordered the tuna and I got the almond crusted sea bass. Although both dishes were excellent, I have to say I wouldn't reorder the sea bass (I kinda hoped for a little more seasoning) because it was so overshadowed by the sauce and serving of the tuna. It was tempting to overlook manners and lick my husband's plate.

Overall layout of the restaurant...kinda an old-school Japanese steakhouse flare with wood slat walls and private little "nooks" for the tables. Lighting lowered, but maybe because it was Christmastime and they had hung little white lights everywhere. Charming. Not a big place, but it feels somewhat private. I thought the prices were fair for the amount of food served.

We did not order dessert, but rather strolled the Carmel town streets since the weather was decidedly beautiful (just needed a light jacket).

• Visited December 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
“A Convenient Choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

The fresh clean flavored "salsa" with the fried wonton was delicious. The fresh steamed artichoke with two dipping sauces was very good. The Nikumaki (green onion beef roll) was excellent. The entrée tempura prawns and vegetables were good but not rave-worthy. The almond sea bass served with an oyster sauce and fishy tasting rock shrimp over mashed potatoes was just OK and plating over the potatoes was a bit odd. Skip dessert if the chocolate cake is chosen - ersatz flavors to both the chocolate and the raspberry sauce. The restaurant has a funky coziness - like being in a ship's hold. A convenient choice every couple of visits to Carmel if you are a frequent visitor staying nearby..

• Visited January 2014
fort worth
“Walked out....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Small, dingy, and crowded. Service was fine and the appetizers were very good.
However, the tables/booths were tightly packed. You could hear every conversation in the room and it felt like the folks in the next booth were sitting in my chair. I could feel every weight shift of the diner behind me. Wine list was laughable. Ate our appetizers and got out.

• Visited January 2014